What have you passed today?

HRH

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gale Banks built a 735 horse Cummins Dakota for a land speed record in 2002. He drove it from Southern California to Bonneville Utah while towing a trailer full of spare parts and got close to 20 to the gallon, and then proceeded to average 217 mph, with an overall top speed of 222, a record for gas or diesel pickups. I love Datsuns, but i don't think a 620 could do that. :)

I have seen some roadsters being built for Bonneville and They aren't built like drag cars. Indeed there are many classes of cars built for dry lakes racing, but for speed records they often add weight. I believe the cars often start the course at speed, it is not a mater of going 0-200 the fastest, but can you go 200 at all without falling apart or breaking into pieces. That Dakota probably had the bed full of lead for the run. At 200 mph you don't want to lift off the ground. It basically all comes down to horsepower. Areo is big too but areodynamics and 32 ford don't belong in the same sentence, hence "bumpers" full of lead, and more lead, bolted on with more lead=heavy=no 1932 kite=opps, your dead.:blink: A 620 on the salt flats would have to have a lot of horsepower and added weight.

Oh yeah, the last time I drove my L320 I passed all kinds of parked cars.

Edited by zenndog

Whoa, whoa, whoa, lead is not the answer to not flying off the salt at high speeds.

Aerodynamics is the answer. Remember, for every action, there is an opposite and equal reaction. If you can fly off the sand at 220 mph, you can also create enough downforce to keep you on the sand at 220 mph, you just need to figure out what to build for wings, chin spoilers, ducting systems, etc.

And that Dodge that broke the land speed record was a [EDIT] Dakota, damn.

Or, think of it this way: Do planes throw out their lead ballast to land? :D

Edited by HRH
here is my buddies versionj, of old school, lightweight, and powerful...

http://classic-celica.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=375&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=645

:eek:Dang it man!!!!!!!!!

That thing is flippin sweet! Tell your buddy that I said so...:lol:

I must admit that I regret not buying that 75 Celica GT for 700 bucks when i was 18...I shoulda...:rolleyes:One owner low miles..forest green and perfect...in every way...DER!!!! I was 18...everything I did was less than stellar.

Man I like the looks of those cars a ton! Even more than (brace yourselves...let the hatin begin...) 510s. Similar stance and attitude and everything else equal...I like the aggressive front end and tasty rear of the early Celicas more...:blink:

Preparing for the rotten veggies and eggs to start raining down now...:P

i had three of them... 71,73,76 i still like them more than my 510..... they were true sports cars..... handled great, reverse open hood , only came in 2-door, bad part..... after the early eighties... there was no aftermarket support.... so any trd parts are almost impossible to find... you eithe r have to swap meet, or make the part.... the jdm engine was a beast...... 18rg,18rge,18rgeu....... 135,145,150 dohc..... had a 18rge in mine..... thats where my buddy started his at.... 18rgze ( supercharger) but he got the taste of speed and the 18rg wasnt going to cut it.....

oh and yesterday in citrus heights, ca i passed by a white bluebird..... clean car.... my wife drooled..... are you on here?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

some of those big jacked up trucks weigh 4 times what your car does .... and the real ones (not rice) with real mods will stomp your dick in the dirt off the line while melting a pair of 40 inch tires.... then run you over.

The only thing I can say about the air hauling, high rise 4X4's that the best off-roading they see is the puddle in the mall parking lot:lol:.....Nice truck, sorry about your penis!!:eek: I rate them right below the vette divers with the handicap tags.

I passed two cops this morning at about 70mph, Man I love my LEM plates!!!

Passed another datsun yesterday. Then he passed me. Then I passed him. Then my lane slowed down and he cruised on ahead. Stupid traffic. :) Couldn't tell what in the hell it was but there was a lot of yelling and gesturing going on back and fourth between us. :) Datsuns are awesome!

I'm so old, I'm lucky to pass anything:lol::lol::lol:

As for the diesels, I used to have a link to a Ford Powerstoke truck, that was a race crews tow vehicle, and after their race car was eliminated, they decided to make a pass with the truck just for grins. I was at the Vegas track, and he was staged next to a Camaro, left the Chevy in the dust, ran a 9 something at around 135 mph! Wish I still had the link, was amazing. I'm not a big truck guy, unless I ever get rich enough to afford a real race car and enclosed trailer, then I would have a diesel 2 wheel drive dually to pull my toy. Unless I win the lotto, ain't going to happen, but I can always dream.:lol::lol::lol::w00t:

• 2 weeks later...

We have gotten a good amount of snow in the past few days here in Kansas City. So my AWD Mazda with all seasons have been passing a LOT of cars lately. Especially yuppies in expesive SUVs that end up pointing the wrong way on the freeway. Even better when the rednecks with lifted trucks get stuck and my little Mazda doesn't.

So being in front when they think awd/4x4 can stop as well as it can go is better?

Good thing there is more than one lane on the roads here, I don't pass when I don't need to and am aware of my surroundings. And luckily the word 'pass' doesn't necessarily ALWAYS mean passing in the same direction, or putting myself directly in front of the person I passed. Pass can also mean when I'm driving on the road and they are already stuck on the side of the road. But I guess you can make an assumption about ALL the driving/pass/stopping conditions from one statement on the internet.