What easy engine swaps into a 520??

jaymac

6 hours ago, TotallyWrecked said:

Oh apologies for verbiage. My buddy owns Wrong Era Customs which isn't too far from you. He does incredible work, and yes TIME, time is the pain and the benefit of these considerations. The pain, I am converting what was once an all original parts 520 into a Ratsun, but the j13 is trashed an L16 is going to have the same pain points as a bigger upgrade and if I'm going to basically spend the same money for a ka24e swap or an LS swap. I think it becomes what's going to be the most fun for the long term. 

and I'm blessed to have long chicago winters to build my patience, I figured if I wanted something done right it was going to take a year either way. 

but please this is exactly why I've taken to the forums here. I want to know, I want to make the best decision. 

I've actually heard that name. I think I was even in his shop a couple years ago.

Long winters... How I miss those. I miss the snow at least. Here in Cool, we get wet, while ten miles up the road, they are dry with snow.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Agree but when there is a problem you can't diagnose and fix with a piece of fence wire and a screwdriver on the side of the road.

THIS lolol is exactly why I would avoid EFI, but I'm going to do whatever is best here for nice long highway drives and seasonal reliability, since my 520 has never seen snow.

Not knocking EFI as it is great for starting, running, mileage and most certainly a lot less regular maintenance than a carburetor. But if/when it quits it's an automatic tow to someone who has the knowledge and diagnostic equipment to fix it. It's VooDoo to me.

I can't think of a time I've had EFI fail and leave me stranded.  Yes a piece of fence wire can fix a carb because they are constantly falling apart.  I'm not sure how many of you guys daily datto's with EFI swaps but that's my life.  Car usually falls apart around the engine.  

2 hours ago, Icehouse said:

I can't think of a time I've had EFI fail and leave me stranded.  Yes a piece of fence wire can fix a carb because they are constantly falling apart.  I'm not sure how many of you guys daily datto's with EFI swaps but that's my life.  Car usually falls apart around the engine.  

Right. Almost every EFI system since the beginning of time would run in limp mode if a sensor failed. The only two situations where an EFI system can leave you stranded is if the ECU/ECM fails, or if the fuel pump fails. I've had an ECU fail, but that was because it got wet. I've also had many EFI system parts fail, like TPS or MAF, but those failing means you can still get home. Even a bad CAS will run the engine in limp mode.

My 510 flooded due to window seals.  As I was driving I could feel it running odd.  Turned around and drove home as the MAF circuit failed.  Got me home though!  Fuel pump went bad in my S13.  Jumpered the relay so it was on constantly and banged on the tank until it took off.  Drove to work and home then installed a new one.  I've had my L motor datsun's leave me stranded many times.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TotallyWrecked said:

still bummed but until two days ago my j13 never let me down, not even once. I like carbs because I am a caveman and I like motorcycles. but I do understand the EFI points, at the end of the day its going to come down to what engine I end up putting in the 520.

I bought the oldest bike I liked that came with EFI haha.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Icehouse

I got a ck engine light on my 91 Toyota oicup! I dont know what to do!!!!!!!!!

I took to Vatozone and O rileys and there OBD1 adapters dont FIT.  Maybe I should install a carb on there and be done with it

Just put a piece of Boeing acquired tap over it.  Done and done.  

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

I swapped the airfilter light came back on after resetting the light.  I reset again with new plugs and injector cleaner. light came back on the 2nd day then whent out.  Why I dont know. Does injector cleaner even work? Stroffregen?????????

I always try mechanic in a can first. 

On 10/6/2022 at 11:53 AM, banzai510(hainz) said:

I swapped the airfilter light came back on after resetting the light.  I reset again with new plugs and injector cleaner. light came back on the 2nd day then whent out.  Why I dont know. Does injector cleaner even work? Stroffregen?????????

Injector cleaner does work, depending on how bad your injectors are clogged. Whenever I use it, I double the recommended dose.

High end shops use an actual injector flushing machine.

• Like 1