521 'King Cab'

DATSKAOS

I just posted another thread with more pics of the red one....just for inspiration.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?p=76935#post76935

...but...here's some playing I did years ago. My fav is the bottom rig. Longer doors balance it out(easier to get in and out as well), stock frame is easier to do and keeps turning radius. Anyway...just some ideas I had at one point.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What you see is indeed primer. I sprayed it with dupont 2k primer and added toner to make it as close to the original datsun dragon green....that was 5yrs ago! It has since been baking in the California desert sun:eek: and has faded into the color you see now. Easy to maintain, water hose and a scotch brite pad! I never thought aged primer could look so kool:cool:

What you see is indeed primer. I sprayed it with dupont 2k primer and added toner to make it as close to the original datsun dragon green....that was 5yrs ago! It has since been baking in the California desert sun:eek: and has faded into the color you see now. Easy to maintain, water hose and a scotch brite pad! I never thought aged primer could look so kool:cool:

Must be blind cause It looks blue to me.

So it is primer with dragon green, huh

I like it a lot

Since my truck has small dings

Would like to primer it with the Datsun blue

So I can do the same then, 2k primer with datsun blue toner?

springkleen04-1.jpg

Yeah, I guess it does kinda look blue..a little. Anyway you can play around w/ the paint until you get a close match then spray away! I did waste about a quart of primer attempting to match mine up.:confused: Trial and error I guess. BTW nice 521 you have:)

Those quarter windows are too large and detract from the idea of lengthning the cab. I don't know personally what I would add. Nothing bubble or slanted, but definately not that big. Ray's actually looks better than the red one WITHOUT any quarter windows. It would be a tough decision to make cuts in something that already looks great. My 2 cents.

i like those large windows. what do you mean it defeats the purpose? the purpose of having a blind spot?

I love it! Looks so good, nice and original looking, can't wait till u bag it.

Have u got any suspension travel at the moment? Could you go lower or would turning angle be sacrificed?

Thanks for the comments:) The rear has about 1.5 inches until it hits the frame (no c-notch yet) The front is as low as I will go until it gets 'bagged. It will scrub fender occasionally when turning.

the paint looks almost like a satin but just a little flatter. i like it. i suppose one could scotch bright any satin color to look flat.

Dupont 2k actually does spray on glossy, it really helps show minor dents/waves in the body. You could still smell the fresh paint on the truck in the photos mklotz posted from Reso '04:) All of the photos in this thread give the paint job a lot of justice, if you saw it in person it is very aged and 'chaulky'

Welcome to the board.

Looks Awesome!! I like the stock apearance. VW seats would definately boost the interior appeal.

The red truck looks nice cause it is all new looking. But the wheels SUCK! The stance is all wrong. And the side cab windows? No Thanks. Makes it look too long or something.?

Keep us updated on your sweet ride.

peace

tc

My 2 cents on the red truck's windows. First off, note how CAREFULLY the designers at Nissan did the kingcab side windows (and this is what I'm talking about). Consideration to the "flow" of the truck. A slightly forward leaning window that blends nicely into the cab extension. Now, those windows would NOT work in a 521. But more "meat" around the windows is what I was talking about. More like they are "placed" on the extension rather than the extension being the window. It would be very hard for Me to think of a window that would work nicely. Since this topic a few weeks ago, I had thought of things like a 1956 T-Bird "porthole" but even that wouldn't look right I decided. Maybe a small rectangular window. Nothing bubbled, that would be not stock from factory looking. I guess that sums it up......... It has to look like it came from the factory. And to pull off that trick would take considerable thought and window hunting. Like I said already, Ray's truck looks very good just as it is now.

I love this thing! Looks so nice, and what I like most about it is it doesn't deviate too much from a stock looking truck. I too have seen pics of this one from various shows and just love it.

My vote is for no windows, in fact I too think that's how they should've been from factory. Love the stretched cab, the colour, the wheels and can't wait to see it united with the ground. Beautiful.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...