Trying to get the NL320 tail light bezel reproduced...

nl320_1963

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Just came across a set of tail lights from a 1964 Peugeot 404. Time to start the fabrication. I'm gonna try a make this work on my nl. This are slightly a lil taller and a out the same with. Hopefully this works out.

How did this go?

I found a set from a 1966 Peugeot at the swap meet for a decent price(cheap).

DSCN2893.JPG

• Like 1
  • 6 years later...
  • 11 months later...
On 9/20/2020 at 2:17 PM, 320 Newb said:

Is there still a desire to have N320 tail light bezels made? I know Clause Studios made lenses at one time so they prob have a mold. 

I was the guy that started this thread and have never found someone to try the bezels.  I loaned a NOS lens to Claus Studios for the triangular fronts on the 64's and a really nice rear lens for the NL tail lights.  I had asked him to try a bezel, but he did not think he could do it at the time.

• Like 1

There are some guys in here making some really nice lenses for 510s and 521s. The problem with the 320s is it’s such a small market. I’m sure if there was a preorder scenario some of the folks in here would be able to do it. The quality seems to be really nice too! 

• Like 2
On 9/8/2021 at 12:08 AM, Draker said:

There are some guys in here making some really nice lenses for 510s and 521s. The problem with the 320s is it’s such a small market. I’m sure if there was a preorder scenario some of the folks in here would be able to do it. The quality seems to be really nice too! 

I think Claus Studio would probably still have the molds he pulled from my pieces.  I am talking about some sort of repro of the chrome bezel that goes around the lenses.  I had asked Claus about doing a run of those in plastic and then getting them chromed.  He did not want to take that project on for whatever reason.  I think I bought 6 sets of the tail light lenses when he made the molds off my parts.

• Like 2
On 9/8/2021 at 12:08 AM, Draker said:

Ratsun link

https://ratsun.net/topic/78358-521-part-repopping-saga/

ebay seller link

https://www.ebay.com/sch/jakanderso97/m.html?_trkparms=folent%3Ajakanderso97|folenttp%3A1&_trksid=p3542580.m47492.l71971

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

there are others too. I know he’s busy, But I’ll tag him anyway. @LS_Wagonmakes some incredible repop lenses. 

• Like 2
On 9/10/2021 at 12:17 AM, Draker said:

there are others too. I know he’s busy, But I’ll tag him anyway. @LS_Wagonmakes some incredible repop lenses. 

Thanks for the plug Bro! 

yes my workload keeps growing as I expand my offerings of lenses but would gladly add this to my to do list if the other guys are too busy. You can check out my current offerings on Instagram. My handle there is @offdamarkt 

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...

Posted this up on FB but figured would post on here too for those interested. 

Heres a couple of the first pulls from mold and you can see the voids and bubbles. 

Still working out the kinks but please let me know if you need a set. Im going to try and chrome spray them before they go up for sale.

No clue on price but I know with how small the market is im willing to work with everyone as for me making these 320 parts are mostly a labor of love.

270516901_6945090242228939_4960814616290123607_n (1).jpg

• Like 4

It has been several years now since I tried to have a 720 plastic grill chrome plated, I do not remember who I sent it to either, but they use some sort of vacuum process to chrome plate plastic and it looks like chrome and continues to look like chrome until it peals from years of use, sorry but I cannot remember how I found the guy but I believe the place was in the Los Angeles metro area, I will try and find the name of the place.

I tried the chrome paint they use on RC models using gloss black first and then the chrome paint and it just turns silver although I likely may have done it wrong, I used a product called "Spaz Stix", the color is called called Mirror Chrome(#10009 Ultimate), I bought it from "Hobbytown" and it was not cheap, a 3.5 oz can was $13.00, but it turned silver.

Here is a photo of my 320 bumperette, it looks a little like chrome but it does not look like real chrome.

DSC00548.JPG.6435b49df05de8ab0b40d050b1ca844c.JPG

Sorry I searched for info on who I sent that grill to, the box is also gone, I found no reference to this subject in my gmail account, I tried to have that grill chromed somewhere between October of 2012 and the year 2013, that was almost 10 years ago.

So I searched "vacuum chrome plating of plastic" and "plastic chrome plating", you should search these Jake as there are several results.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1

Thanks Wayne! Did you by chance air brush the paint? I don't have any close ups but the side by side of a true chrome part vs the paint I got it's not too far off. 

I'm hoping for most folks that a silvery bezel will be better than whatever they have. Although I really would like a manageable system for chroming plastic. 

There's also SSS restorers down in Mexico and he can do plastic chrome. 

• Like 1

No I did not use an airbrush, it was a rattle can type paint, so was the gloss black and that looked like black chrome when dry.

I followed online directions, I do not remember what link I used.

I know the surface had to be glass smooth before spraying with high gloss black paint, then the ultimate chrome went over that, I think I put it on too thick, it looks good wet but when it dries it doesn't look like chrome anymore.

3 hours ago, Jakes Makes said:

Thanks Wayne! Did you by chance air brush the paint? I don't have any close ups but the side by side of a true chrome part vs the paint I got it's not too far off. 

Probably fifteen years ago I had some chrome work done on a pair of Hella side-marker light lens for the Messerschmitt Kabineroller that I was messing with. I probably still have an article on the stuff and I'll look for it. They came out real nice. I'd bet there are places that are pretty good at chroming plastics. Search around 60's-70's muscle-car forums and websites. A lot of those muscle-cars had plastic dash bezels and other interior plastic parts that were chromed.