SR20DET parts identifier thread

jovial_cynic

I am finally getting some more time to get to work on my 510 SR20DET install. Like many before me, I received the engine with many/most of the hoses capped off with bolts or left open, and since I'd like to not have oil or coolant flung all over my garage when I finally fire this thing up, I'm hoping some of you folks can help me with identifying some of these important parts.  If anybody else has any great diagrams they'd like to post in here, golden.

6HWUDzGl.jpg

What do I connect this tube to?  I believe it's an oil line, because I stuck a hose on it and blew into it, and I could hear the air escaping through the dipstick tube.  I thought this might have been the oil return line from the turbo, but that is in a different location, lower and to the left of the exhaust line.

If it's an oil line, where does it go?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DSC03099.jpg

I found this image online, where it shows one of the coolant lines from the turbo connecting to a spot behind the block.  The previous owner appears to have removed that coolant hose entirely, so I have to find another location for the coolant to go.  Anybody got any recommendations?  And is that coolant hose in the picture in the stock location?  Why would the designers have a coolant line that just looped around like that?  

Sz7GCrol.jpg

Now, the two circles spots here are connected in some way.  I know this, because when I blow into the lower hose shown in the photo above this one, I can feel my breath coming out of BOTH of the spots in this picture.  And these are *not* connected to the oil passages, because there's no air getting to the dipstick, as in the first picture.

I know the dipstick opens up into the sump.  But all the oil passages ultimately dump into the sump, so if you're running compressed air into any of the passages, you can tell what goes where.  My point is the tube is an "oil" tube as opposed to a "coolant" tube, which does not connect to any of the oil lines.

All the lines in question are either oil lines or coolant lines.  I've figured out which are which, but I'm just trying to figure out where they end up going.

Here goes:

The driver side 5/8 tube needs to be connected to the valve cover T fitting, preferably with a catch can in between the two.  The front half of the valve cover T should go to the intake pre-turbo inlet. This will regulate crankcase pressure and vacuum vapors back through the engine.  It would be nice to also have a catch can on the front of the T before the intake.

The turbo water line that goes behind the head needs to be connected. Most people will move the connection to the upper coolant outlet under the CAS.  Have a fitting welded on. 

The large looped line is for the heater and can be either looped as is or connected to your 510 heater however you see fit. 

The large hose pointing toward the front of the intake is for the Idle Air Control valve and needs to be connected to your cold pipe pre-throttle.  This allows your engine to idle with the throttle shut. 

The small nipple above the throttle body is a manifold pressure source, you need this for your fuel pressure regulator, boost/vac gauge and blow off valve.

The large hose coming off the back of the manifold is most likely for the brake booster, cap it unless you have boosted brakes.

I hope some of that helps! :D

• Like 2

bababooey - that does help, but pictures would be handy.  I know the L-series engines left and right, inside and out, but the SR20 motor has a lot of additional piping that I'm not familiar with.  

When you say the large hose coming off the back of the manifold, which picture are you referring to?

L16 has just as many hoses and lines. On a 510 it doesn't have a brake booster hose, but has multiple smog pump hoses. L16 has multiple coolant hoses, two crankcase breather lines and several vacuum lines depending on the year.

So take it a step at a time. Its looks different but not really more complicated.

• 1 month later...

I forgot to check back in here, did you get this sorted out?  I will try to ID the rest for posterity :D

g5CsJlN.jpg

Ok.  Next set of questions:

#1 appears to connect to a spot right above it on the manifold.  Correct?

#2 goes where?

#3 are what goes to the heater, and may simply be connected if I don't have/want a heater, right?

#1 and #2 both connect to the Idle Air Control Valve that is bolted to the underside of the intake manifold

#3 is for the heater.  I cut the pipe that goes around the back of the head so both tubes are on the passenger side.  It is easier to loop that way.

MVgALdq.jpg

I know that #1 and #2 are vacuum lines (fuel pressure regulator, BOV, carbon canister).

But #3 and #4 connect to what?

#2 I have capped off.

#3 and #4 are coolant lines to de-ice the throttle in cold climates.  If you live somewhere that it snows maybe hook these up into the coolant system.  I left them disconnected.

Aw, thanks!

I'm just finishing up the electrical, and I'm moving onto coolant and vacuum lines next.  I'm also going to reinstall a charcoal canister and posted this on the510realm but haven't gotten a response yet:

-------

Just about every forum I've looked at regarding proper venting of gas fumes into the charcoal canister explain how to remove the canister, and included all sorts of incorrect ways to close off the lines going to the canister.

I'm actually interested in ADDING the emissions system back to my SR20. Weird, I know. But it gets hot here in California, and I prefer not having my garage fill with gas fumes.

As I understand it, there's the "old way" of plumbing the evap system: a charcoal canister that has a vacuum acuated purge valve that draws the fuel vapors that's in the canister.

The "new way" of doing it involves all kinds of signals from things like the O2 sensor and whatnot to control a solenoid that opens and closes the valve, and I think that the signal is pulled from the ECU.

The S13 SR20DET doesn't appear to have an ECU output for a purge solenoid, which makes me think that the mechanism is somewhere between the "old way" and the "new way," perhaps actuated by a simpler electric toggle method.

Can anyone confirm this? If there's no ECU-controlled solenoid, I may build my own system and call it good, but if there's something on the ECU that I'm missing, I'd like to know. 

That's about 1/2 useful.  Aren't there actually 4 hoses coming off the canister?  That diagram shows 2, both which are connected near the throttlebody, right?

Another line should be from the vapor line from the gas tank, and the 4th line should go to the purge valve, which tells the canister when to open up and allow the vapors to get sucked into the intake. 

• 2 weeks later...

ECDTq3ml.jpg

Ok.  In this photo, one of the ports is connected to the intake manifold... is this a vacuum line or a coolant line?

The port in the background has been previously identified as a coolant line that connects to the IACV.  However, there's nowhere for it to plug into the IACV.  Does anybody have a diagram of how it is actually connected?