Line lock / Locking front wheels only

jaredperry

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

421008297_4809bd7b35.jpg

I do understand, really I do. Line locks were used to hold drag cars against the line to prevent 'creep' and red lighting. This is more of a problem with automatics with the engine revved against the torque converter. It can also be used on any car to pre heat the tires although lately, driving them through a puddle of water does the same thing.

A one tire fire is very rough on any open differential and will accelerate it's failure. Bigger grippier tires adds to this. Sudden shock loads are also rough on all the drive line components. The 510 (hell all cars) were not designed for this. Larger differentials seem to survive better than smaller, probably because they are stronger and the tire loads are not that much different. An LSD diff would distribute the torque and the side gears wouldn't be as stressed.

Get a second windshield washer reservoir and pump. Mount in trunk with a hose to the rear tire that spins the easiest. Or both. Before attempting a burn out give it 15 seconds of water to 'lubricate' the ground. Breakaway will be much easier when the tire is wet. Apply just enough brake to hold the car. Light 'er up and hold until smoking. The melted tire will do the lubricating after this.

• Like 1

i had one on my chevy pick up ...... i ran it on the rear circuit .. and i used a monetary button to lock out the fluid from getting to the rear brakes .....no one will support this idea ... its dangerous and sketchy for a street car but i never had any problems and could do the smokiest of burnouts... but again i was also running rear disc brakes so i was trying to over come those ..i liked the monetary since if i lost my hand on it it would restore brakes but it was tough on certain burnouts to maintain the button ....i toyed withthe idea of a toggle but got wierded out ...never dd it ... i was killing tires

Most Hurst line lock switches were mounted on the shifter. Used to hang with buds back in '70 and one worked at a wrecking yard. Always had a couple of spare Dodge rims and tires in the trunk of his Charger. Put the car against the IGA concrete block wall and pored on the coal until the tire went flat. Buried the parking lot in smoke late at night. Had to push the car away and get it changed before the hourly police patrol. You could pick up hand fulls of rubber once it cooled. Fucking kids...

• Like 1

Most Hurst line lock switches were mounted on the shifter. Used to hang with buds back in '70 and one worked at a wrecking yard. Always had a couple of spare Dodge rims and tires in the trunk of his Charger. Put the car against the IGA concrete block wall and pored on the coal until the tire went flat. Buried the parking lot in smoke late at night. Had to push the car away and get it changed before the hourly police patrol. You could pick up hand fulls of rubber once it cooled. Fucking kids...

What a sicco. ha ha

• 2 weeks later...

Reverse at 10 MPG and while rolling dump it in first and let 'er rip. More time to get the brake on and easier to hold from a stop than when once rolling forward. Additionally there is also a layer of hot rubber laid down ahead of the tire.