69 4door 510 in Maine

housew

got the quote to have it fixed, Goddam is it a lot of money.

So i think im going to have the body man do some of it, but not even close to all of it, if he is willing.  I'll have him put it on his frame machine and pull the panels back into position including the trunk pan, and replace the tail light panel and rear valance. That leave me with sourcing and installing a rear bumper and trunk lid, and painting the car, and minor body work near the rear vents where ithe 1/4s crumpled. the panel pulling should straighten it out for the most part, but i'll probably have to smooth it.

I'm not 100% confident in painting it myself, but i think its something i can handle and would enjoy the satisfaction of doing myself. Plus I would be able to remove the door mirror and fill the holes, fix the rust on my lower rear quarter and fix a couple other dents and dings before painting the whole car, which will work out better than the body man just blending in the paint in the back.

I should be able to get the work done, paint, and have a little left over for the other things that pop up. Need to finalize the deal with the ins then start getting some parts on the way.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so the insurance deal is pretty much done, papers and money should be in the mail. Now i can start making plans and buying parts to actually get it fixed.

Found out the color. It is indeed 660. found it stamped on the radiator support or whatever you call the support the holds the hood latch. Its actually under my emissions sticker but i can read/see the indent through it.

I got a 660 color sample from the local autobody supply place and a quart of epoxy primer and hardner and some hvlp gravity feed guns (one for primer, one for base / clear, and one for touchup stuff. I have a good deal of incorrectly colored jeep body parts im going to start practicing on. The color sample matches the paint on the interior of the car very closely, but is a little bit darker than the outside paint (which is a horrendous repaint with overspray everywhere). Just means it faded over the 20 years it was there, or the color wasn't spot on back then, but it doesn't matter much if i paint the whole thing.

I figure the body man would do a better job painting it, but i think i can do a pretty good job if i put a lot of work into it, and i certainly can't afford the 3k for him to do it, nor can i make it any worse than it is so i think i'm going for it.

got the check and bought the car back so thats all done.

have a trunk lid and hinges on their way.

not SUPER pleased with my body man at the moment, just really bad with answering the phone, meeting up, and now that hes not doing the whole thing (cause its not worth paying him that much) he told me hes going to jack up the price on his labor so he can make the same amount. Not super upsetting or suprizing, but why tell me that? Either way, waiting for him to redo his quote that was supposed to be done yesterday and then deciding if i'm doing it myself or not.

got the check and bought the car back so thats all done.

have a trunk lid and hinges on their way.

not SUPER pleased with my body man at the moment, just really bad with answering the phone, meeting up, and now that hes not doing the whole thing (cause its not worth paying him that much) he told me hes going to jack up the price on his labor so he can make the same amount. Not super upsetting or suprizing, but why tell me that? Either way, waiting for him to redo his quote that was supposed to be done yesterday and then deciding if i'm doing it myself or not.

FUCK THAT!!! that ain't right man i'd look somewhere else thats a dick move. Is insurance paying for it or it's out of your pocket?

long story, insurance paid some, but not close to enough to fix  or replace it. I was going to save some scrilla by doing some work myself and getting my own parts. But as far as he is concerned its a cash deal. I have an ugly datsun and many hundred dollar bills, he has time, tools, and skills, i'm trying to make a trade that's close to fair.

There aren't a lot of people jumping to work on it in my area, but i'm not out of options.

got a deal worked out with him, he wasn't a dick about it at all. Its a decent amount of money, but he will do a good job and i shouldn't have to worry about it.

I'm not going to touch it untill he gets his hands on it, he is going to put it on a frame machine and pull the panels, to get everything back square if it skewed at all, beat the trunk floor back into shape, remove and replace the tail light panel and rear lower valance, undercoat everything under it and prime the rest of the stuff he touched. He will do all the labor and shop supplies for 2,600.

so after i buy parts, and paint supplies, i should be about out of budget, but i should have my car back by spring (can't / don't want to drive it much in winter), and looking more dapper than it has in a long time.

Just need to order, sit back, and wait for parts now.

• 2 weeks later...

still waiting on just about everything to come in. Practicing my body work skills on some spare jeep panels.

also discovered that my rear taillights are just regular JDM/USDM tails just with the secondary trim/garnish missing. So i might be looking for some of that too

Fender mirrors or NAH?

trying to decide if i want to rock my single stock door mirror, bullet style sss fender mirrors (repo's not real) or trapezoidal stock bluebird fender mirrors?

i'm leaning towards the trapezoidal fender mirrors cause i think they go with the lines of the car the most. I'll be doing bodywork and paint anyways so it doesn't matter work wise.

I'm a fan of the hood mirrors too, but there's that purest blowback when infringing on the Coupe's hallowed ground. As for door mirrors, I lean towards the classic round, simply because it breaks up the box design a bit. That being said, those things are next to useless, because they're too low, and it's like looking backwards through a soda straw. At least those trapezoidals stand high enough to see through. Most important thing to remember is you will be driving this beauty, not us. 

• 4 weeks later...

i have a trunk lid and in the mail and ordered my rear end stuff from futofab this morning.

Going to talk to my body guy today and hopefully start to make some things happen. Pretty amped up to get my car back eventually :)

Rear Toe/Camber Adjusters? I installed a set, was fun and I rebuilt everything back there under the same 18 pack 8>) Heading to Dave's Saturday to pick up some adjustable T/C Rods. Likely to also have a look at all his sheet metal and hang for a bit as always. Enjoy the install and if you need any help/advice let me know.

by "rear end stuff" i mean tail light panel and rear valance. Probably get a new chrome rear bumper from him in the spring when they are available.

Working on getting the crash repair done and getting it painted with some new seals in the process.

THEN on to

1) different front seats (some that actually have bolsters)

2) rear CV conversion (rear end vibes much at my ride height, I WILL NOT raise the car)

3) Futofabs new front sump front swap bar, and or rear toe / camber adjusters.

haha, I got the shipping notification but haven't made it home yet.

I actually took another job a couple weeks ago and gave my notice. Tomorrow is my last day and i'm sure he would be pretty disappointed if i left projects unfinished so i could duck out early and look at some datto parts sooner. But we both know what I'd rather do :P

fedex says my trunk lid was delivered today as well.

body man says it will be a few weeks till he's free up enough to get to it, but im not really in a rush now that winter hit. Still super excited to be bombing around in a dime come spring time again

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...