Do I Need

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 71 521 originally came with 3 point belts but were in bad shape. I switched over to just a lap belt & never had any issues. But ill say this a 3 point belt is the smarter way to go especially if you get pulled over. & yeah...i did'nt double post & i used black as my font color... hope THATS ok ! {mr. P }

wippingpost.jpg

Is that a two point or three point seatbelt in his hand... :eek:

'72 521, I would guess 2 point belts. My '73 610 had just lap belts, but the optional belts up high to make them three point belts. PITA to adjust between drivers. I am upgrading to the three point belts, so I wouldn't 'eat the wheel' like Datzenmike had said. You'll learn to love your upper teeth, just keep them in your mouth and not in your steering wheel. :D <-----(The upper teeth)

I'd expect nothing less from you, although you did BOLD everything. :lol:

Here are the titles/subjects of delay_me's original posts:

Do I Need

Do I

question

Bug Work

ka24?

Somebody Get It

just had to share this

if only

smog

in serious need

in need of

o yes

Good Deal?

why not?

5 speed Trani

...and thus my bustin' his chops. 006.gif

well sir

you sure must love to be older and "wiser"

i should learn from you

sense your all knowing and all

sorry sir i apologize for my ignorance and postings with bad subject names

next time ill put my whole question int he subject hows that sound? good deal? it was just a question if you want to be a jerk about it go ahead but dont expect respect from me not like you expect anything from me.

...and thus my response to his bustin' my chops.:glare:

3 pt came out on the late '71 521's....so the '72 should have the holes in the B pillar.

My 610 does, just in a slightly different spot than the '74 that I got my interior parts from. It was something like 10mm or so off, enough to be covered by the upper retractor.

OK, simple answer. Is there a threaded insert in the upper cab sides about where Your left ear is when You are sitting behind the wheel? It would take a large 19mm bolt. If so, try to track some down. Now in early 620's there is a "slide-in" area on the lap belt where You can either connect the shoulder belt IF YOU DESIRE or forget about it. I don't know about 521's so I cann't accurately answer. I forget the cutoff year but I got pulled over in a 1981 Reliant K wagon and the first question out of the officer's mouth was "what year is this car?" It was OVER the cutoff year so I was issued a ticket. Check with Your state (easy to do) for the shoulder belt cutoff year. See how easy that was???? We're here to HELP others!!!

I'm pretty sure the cut off year was pre-521. The '64 NL was not equipped with anything. I'd have to check my daughter's '68 521 to be sure.

The bolt for the hole should be a 3/8" fine(24tpi) grade 8 or higher bolt.

Mike, didn't you drill out a pre shoulder belt 521 B pillar and find a nut cert back there? I thought the first time I came down to your place you showed me what was left of the B pillar and the amazing hidden nut :D hehe I have had a few 521's, I always take out the shoulder belt, that way you don't even have to wear seat belts haha Not that its a good idea or anything. My 620 has really nice shoulder belts. The rest of my cars don't have much in the seat belt department...

The PO of my 71 521 installed the 2 point seat belts over the shoulder, he drilled a nasty whole right under the rear window.I asked why he did that, and told me that once he got pulled over and asked to installed a 3 point belt.

I put them back on my lap, sometimes I even forget to wear it. haven't got pulled for it yet.

My dad has been pulled over twice in it, and they didn't even notice or made a comment about it, he doesn't like to wear them.

Jeff, the B pillars you saw were left over from a '72 521. I've always wondered if they are behind the stamping on Paula's early '70, but the position is too high anyway. When I put 3pt belts in hers, they will go in lower than the stock position.

The belts in a '78 LUV have a nice drop down for the shoulder belt. Should work nice in a 521.

seeing that the 620 came out in 72 also i dont see that many 72 521"s (not sure how many were made) more so i see the 71's. the 3 point seat belt's are kinda hard to find. problem is that they dont retract.:mad: there was a killer write up on a 3 point added to a non 3 point on the nwde forum. i'll try to find it and post it later. no hidden nuts behind the pillars.

mike i've never seen a late 71 with a 3 point belt. are we talking built in late 71 or titled in late 71?

The '72 PL521 came with a non-retractable shoulder belt that fastened to the B pillar and clipped into the lapbelt insert. Not the most comfortable belt I ever used, but functional. Just hard to adjust. Not a problem for me since I was usually the only driver of the truck.

Bought it new in Feb 1972 and kept it until Dec 2006.

The cutoff date based on FMVSS 208 (393.93(B)(2)) is all trucks manufactured on or after July 1, 1971 are required to have Type 2 seatbelts (lap and shoulder). Trucks manufactured between January 1, 1965-June 30, 1971 are required to have either type 1 or Type 2 seatbelts.

(Type 1 is lap belt only)

(Type 2 is a combination lap/shoulder belt)

Here's info from a prior post on my seatbelt conversion on my 72 521:

I was busy this weekend on the truck. It needed new seatbelts so my 10 year old daughter can ride in it. It is a late 1972 so it already had the mounting points for 3 point belts but it had a set of mismatched belts in it, a retractable on the driver side and a non-retractable on the passenger side. I used the retractable portion of the belts from a Dodge Caravan and the receivers from a Dodge car of some sort. Everything fit great and they work great too.