69 521 Build

earlyvws

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thats one of my favorite colors too .... my buddy built sick dumped micro busses and 21 windows and he would always let me pick the color .... that color looks fucking amazing with sealing wax red ..... we did two that color before i moved towards my favorite hues of greens ...

Been busy preping the fenders, hood, doors, and rims. Got the fenders painted and the rims. The hood was suppossed to be done, but had a boo boo on the sealer coat. Try to paint hood tomorrow. Will give my insights on powder primer later. It's late and I want to get an early start tomorrow.

Was not going to reveal the color yet but oh well, here it is. VW color Antracite early 60's. I don't like 2 tone paint jobs, but I'm thinking black roof. What do you think?

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

And the rims. Can't wait to unwrap these!

IMG_0296.jpg

• Like 2

Been busy preping the fenders, hood, doors, and rims. Got the fenders painted and the rims. The hood was suppossed to be done, but had a boo boo on the sealer coat. Try to paint hood tomorrow. Will give my insights on powder primer later. It's late and I want to get an early start tomorrow.

Was not going to reveal the color yet but oh well, here it is. VW color Antracite early 60's. I don't like 2 tone paint jobs, but I'm thinking black roof. What do you think?

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

Love how that paint on the fenders turned out,nice color too! A black roof ,or maybe another dark color, like blue ,would look great! I've got a rough area in the paint on the roof of my 521,& I'm thinking of painting the top of the roof white.

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

did you un wrap them?

Yes I will have some pics tonight. Got the cab painted and tires on rims. Been ordering all kinds of parts. Waiting for some. It looks like I may have to go lower then first thought cuz the tires I choose are a little smaller od then I was thinking. So I ordered some 3" lowering front control arms. So with the drop spindles and arms I will have 5" in front. Bought a toyota rear axle with a 356 r&p. this will give me my bolt pattern with our adapters. The adapters were 2" thick so by my math this rear end will be 1" narrower then stock rear with adapters. Looks like it will fit. Got the bel tech rear leafs but in shipping they lost some of the bushing. Tried to order the bushing today but it looks like it will take a week. Gonna look online tonight to see if I can get them faster.

Working on frame stuff today. Really just getting measurements/ angles and finish stripping both frames. Need to swap over the l20 and 5 speed to figure out rear tranny mount.

• Like 1

Bed is going to get started this week sometime. I wanted to get the cab painted ASAP. It takes longer to paint the all the other pieces. Painted all in 1 shot. The bed i'm going to paint the inside first on one day. and outside a couple days later. Much easier that way.

• Like 1

I am not planning to tear down the motor or tranny. But I want to take care of anything I can while it is out. So can you recommend seals, parts that should be replaced? I'm thinking clutch slave cylinder, clutch, and need to know what else to be getting. Same for motor. Taking all the accessories off, clean and paint block and change out things like alt dual carbs etc.

So I got the old brackets cut out and everything ground down. How critical is it I get these exactly like the original. Looks like I will be making them. Also for the lower control arm bushing, seen in the last photo, do you know of any place that sells them? I found some on a site that seems like it is in the Phillipines, not sure if it will get here in time. So I was thinking of machining some in Derlin. Any oppinions on this?

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

This bushing for the torsion pin ( what do you think about using Derlin Bushings here?)

IMG_0368.jpg

• Like 1