69 521 Build

earlyvws

Ok I didn't research the carbs since u are asking that question about chokes I must have made the assumption they had electric chokes. So I guess the answer is no.

The axle is about 2. 5" behind the c notch. The c notch is exactly center of the OG bump stop. The pipe I used fit perfectly over the bolt holes.

I'm gonna be looking for the 720 leaf springs but I don't think I will find them quickly.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I didn't research the carbs since u are asking that question about chokes I must have made the assumption they had electric chokes. So I guess the answer is no.

The axle is about 2. 5" behind the c notch. The c notch is exactly center of the OG bump stop. The pipe I used fit perfectly over the bolt holes.

I'm gonna be looking for the 720 leaf springs but I don't think I will find them quickly.

sorry i wasn't being douchey i was literally excited...... i love electric chokes.... part f the reason im hesitant to pull my 32/36

put a lookiing for thread up... thats how i got two sets ... one from oregon one local ......... people will post yards they have seen them in...if i knew of some i would pull them and hold them but as it stands i only know the local yard and they just remodeled the yard...

First of all, you want 720 4X4 leafs, not 720 leafs.

I am wondering why the blocks are below the leafs in this photo below?

image-32.jpg

The blocks are supposed to be between the leafs and the axle.

DSCN2119.JPG

Removing leafs in a 521 pack will cause axle wrap, and the truck will bottom out a lot easier, plus you cannot really carry much weight anymore, it's not the way to go, while 720 4X4 leafs are lower to start with when on the ground, and are firmer, so it doesn't bottom out as easily, which is what you want,

• Like 1

wayno

the blocks are below because i wanted to see where it was going to be without blocks, and i dont have other u bolts so i didnt feel like threading the nuts that far up the bolt! i was lazy int yping on my phone when I said looking for 720 leafs I understand to look for the 4x4 version.

• Like 2

I don't know what is going on tonight with posting, but after typing out what I was going to say 3 times I had to give up and just post each pic separately. Every time I switched tabs to copy the link when I came back hear it refreshed the page and cleared out what I typed.

So for the final typing time my explanation. I swapped in the stock 521 springs and put a 3" block. The axle is back to where it is supposed to be. I think I need to get 2" more to get the look I had I envisioned where I planned out this truck. So with the 720 4x4 springs and a 4" block I should get there. However, that will mean the frame rails will be aprox 5" from the ground. Will this make it a bitch to drive. I'm used to slammed cars, I know what it's like, but I wanted this truck to be somewhat practical. Anybody have advice on this?

Now I have to figure out if I'm happy with the front end and commit and finish or change it. I was reading something about d21 alignment and it mentioned no more then 3 shims. What if the positive camber I have built in will require more the. 3 shims. Does anyone think this would be unsafe? Or should I reduce the positive camber to 2 degrees instead of 4. Without knowing right now what the camber is supposed to be (something i need to find out tonight) I may have to shim it a lot. For example if it is 3 degrees negative I have to take out 7 degrees with shims.

The 4X4 leafs will get you another 1 1/2 inches, they also are heavier duty(firmer), so that helps.

Once you put the cab on, fill the tank, spare tire, exhaust system, ect; your going to drop some more.

As for the front end, it's custom, you need to figure that one out yourself, what are you willing to live with, I have way more shims than that, but it depends on if a shim has a max thickness I suppose.

pay no mind to tanker ... the skirts look good ... and to be honest i like the rocker on there .....im on the fence about behind the wheel ... i have brainstormed many versions and none i love.... long, short, angeled, trapezoidal...thought of all of them none of the i love

pay no mind to tanker ... the skirts look good ... and to be honest i like the rocker on there .....im on the fence about behind the wheel ... i have brainstormed many versions and none i love.... long, short, angeled, trapezoidal...thought of all of them none of the i love

I did not say they dont look good i said i would do the rear's also.I know what looks good.

ggzilla,

I dont't want postive camber, im trying to end up at -1 degree. But I have to build in positive camber now so that I have room to shim to the desired camber later. Right now I am just throwing darts in the dark. I do not know what the full weight of the vehicle will do to camber, so I am trying to make sure that no matter what I have somewhere to go. For example, if I make it zero now and then when the truck is complete and I go to do an alignment and the camber is at say -5 degrees now I cannot bring the wheel out to get to zero because the UCA will be already bolted to the frame with no shims.

Here is the d21 alignment info I am going to go with.

IMG_0488.png

Right now I am more worried about castor. Wayno brought up a lot of valid points about this most of I was unware of. So I am trying to do as much research on this because I hope to get most of the front end done tonight.

Jrock- your trucks fuckin sick. I feel good about dropping this down more after seeing ur cross member. We must think alike. I also contenplated what to do with the rear of the bed, and I decided I like it the way it is. I also couldn't come up with something that made it better.

mrbigtanker - i enjoy your input. I know I don't know you well enough to get the joking going on, but I'm guessing you must be the fun guy in the crowd.