Saab 96 using 1978 620 dual M/C and booster

jaj63207

I have decided to proceed with the project.  I see from this site an aluminum spacer between the firewall and the booster and one between the master cylinder and booster. Are these necessary and, if so, where do you get them. Are they something tht could be fabricated without going to a machine shop.

Thanks again. This is a great site with very knowledgeable participants.

Jimmy

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The spacer between the the booster and firewall;  I could use the same part...  I don't believe it's something that can be made easily without a machine shop.  I've haven't seen them new, so your best bet is to buy one used.  The spacer, or adapter between the m/c and the booster usually comes with the re-man'd m/c.  It just adapts the vertical mount m/c to the horizontal mount booster.  It might also be required depending on the length of the m/c push rod.  Which is another thing you will need.  Really the best bet is to buy the whole system used, and use the m/c and booster for cores, but at least you will have everything you need.... That's my plan anyways.

By the way, I believe the 210, or b210 (can't remember which is the one used for the 510 conversion), uses a smaller booster, which may be better for the space in your Saab...  I don't know what the brake setup is on the Saab, but both m/c's mentioned are valved for front disc/rear drum brakes.

The spacer between the m/c and booster appears to be Datsun #  47211-26701 superceded by 47211-u7400 for the 1978 dual 620 m/c and appears to be available if you Google that p/n.  I am guessing and it is only a guess that since I have a flat firewall, I can get by without the firewall/booster spacer as I am going to have to modify the pedal to booster linkage.  If the booster mounting bolts don't match up with my existing holes, I can drill new ones to fit.

Any additional suggestions are welcome.

Jimmy

The spacer between the m/c and booster appears to be Datsun #  47211-26701 superceded by 47211-u7400 for the 1978 dual 620 m/c and appears to be available if you Google that p/n. 

Good to know.  Like I said, it came on my re-man'd m/c, so I don't think you will need it separately...

I am guessing and it is only a guess that since I have a flat firewall, I can get by without the firewall/booster spacer as I am going to have to modify the pedal to booster linkage. 

The Datsun has a flat firewall too, I'm not sure why the spacer is there.  Maybe it's just a bolt pattern adapter, but the thickness of it seems excessive for that.  Maybe someone else can explain that one. 

Well Crap!  The p/n I had for the plate is good, only problem is none of the sources that show up Googling that number would have to order it from Nissan which no longer has it in stock. Unobtainable new, even though the number shows in the catalogs.  Options now would be find a used one or get a 10mm plate and cut and drill it. Has any made one of these from scratch?

Jimmy

Sure making one would work.

You could also put up a "want to buy ad" here in the classifieds.  Or something you could do out of desperation:  pick up a re-man unit from your local parts store, take it home, pull the plate off and return the unit as the core and get your core charge back.

Thanks for all your help.  Even though I could fabricate the spacer, it is getting more complicated than I anticipated.  Sent the Saab m/c yesterday to White Post to get it resleeved and rebuilt.  $225 out the door was the quote.  We'll find out.

Thanks again,

Jimmy