1981 datsun 210 hatchback

floyd17

Yes just like most stamped steel covers.

Biggest problem is over tightening. They should be finger tight and retightened at lest every oil change. Hammer the flange flat again. The rubber gasket lasts forever.

aight thanks.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to put on the wing washers you can find for valve cover bolts, some of them have a pretty good wing span, hahaha. But seriously if you spread out the valve covers screw load a little an extra nudge of tightening can be used, it seems to do the trick for me. But like ggzilla said, hammer it down, you have to start with a flat surface.

• Like 1

8009F135-8E57-4F34-9500-0F1F669961EC_zps

pulled off the valve cover and found this. also had dents in the gasket, showing where it had been pushed inside and bumped by moving parts. set the gasket in the sun, scraped off the silicone, bathed everything real good, put it back in, and we're gonna see how it goes now. i need to take the breather back off and clean the oil off the manifolds so i can tell more easily if it's still leaking. & btw, ggzilla, we tightened it less, and flattened the flange.

• Like 1

i dislike it when people use RTV on the valve cover gaskets. For fucks sake they make them in rubber for a reason lol (not saying you did it bro).

Take a ball-peen(lol) hammer and tap the screw holes back flush. it'll seal the valve cover properly that way!  thanks for the pics, I got my fix for the moment :rofl:

I like where you wanted to go with the valve cover.  Painting it white, taping, using an exacto knife to cut the Nissan out, painting, then pulling tape would have yielded much better results. It's time consuming and a giant pain in the ass, tho :\

i dislike it when people use RTV on the valve cover gaskets. For fucks sake they make them in rubber for a reason lol (not saying you did it bro).

Take a ball-peen(lol) hammer and tap the screw holes back flush. it'll seal the valve cover properly that way!  thanks for the pics, I got my fix for the moment :rofl:

I like where you wanted to go with the valve cover.  Painting it white, taping, using an exacto knife to cut the Nissan out, painting, then pulling tape would have yielded much better results. It's time consuming and a giant pain in the ass, tho :\

i was working with the old man and he insisted we do it this way, even though i advocated the above method. and we did put very litle silicone on the gasket, just to hold it in place. but you cant do it with cork. the people who owned it before me did that. that was a BITCH to get off...

lol.  Yeah...

I can't tell you how many naps z24 motor's ive seen with 1/8th inch thick RTV running around the valve cover.  FFS!!

Well good on you for doing it right!  Def will keep an eyeball on this thread and watch your progress. Keep it up

• Like 1

lol.  Yeah...

I can't tell you how many naps z24 motor's ive seen with 1/8th inch thick RTV running around the valve cover.  FFS!!

Well good on you for doing it right!  Def will keep an eyeball on this thread and watch your progress. Keep it up

thanks man. I think this'll be a pretty cool car, when im done.

Tighten all the valve cover screws finger tight. Then go around and re-tighten finger tight. After the engine warms up, finger tighten one last time. Instead of using a wrench which will overrtighten, use a Phillips screwdriver. Use thumb & finger to tighten; using the palm or fist to reef on the screwdriver will tighten too much and distort the metal flange.

Loctite Threadlocker Blue might help. I've never used it but the screws do get loose.

http://m.loctiteproducts.com/p/3/2/21/t_lkr_blue/Loctite-Threadlocker-Blue-242.htm

• Like 1

on another note, I can never find dual carb intake manifolds for anything but the large oval port and the round port heads. http://www.ebay.com/itm/A12-ROUND-Ports-Intake-Manifold-DATSUN-1200-B110-A12-B10-B120-ute-NISSAN-Sunny-/221224189682?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3381fd3ef2 this is all i can find, at the moment.

Tighten all the valve cover screws finger tight. Then go around and re-tighten finger tight. After the engine warms up, finger tighten one last time.

Loctite Threadlocker Blue might help. I've never used it but the screws do get loose.

http://m.loctiteproducts.com/p/3/2/21/t_lkr_blue/Loctite-Threadlocker-Blue-242.htm

we snugged it up very mildly with a screwdriver. should be fine. ill keep an eye on them.

any suggestions on a paint scheme? im thinking ill paint all the trim pieces flat dark black, and the entire body a clean clear white, take off the decals,but stencil the "210" back on. and about the plastic stripe down the side, i kinda want it gone, but idk.

Looking good. I would remove the bump gaurds/ plastic strips on the sides. Once we start on the B210 those will be removed. These cars look so much better without them and most of the time the plastic is cracked our broken so they are even more of an eye sore on a clean vehicle.

• Like 1

Looking good. I would remove the bump gaurds/ plastic strips on the sides. Once we start on the B210 those will be removed. These cars look so much better without them and most of the time the plastic is cracked our broken so they are even more of an eye sore on a clean vehicle.

Alright! That's the plan. Oh and FENDER MIRRORS ARE IN THE NEAR FUTURE. I'm using 1981 datsun 720 mirrors. They aren't fender mirrors originally, but we mocked it up, and they will fit like a glove.