benzo

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Z24 with a KA head... congrats you just invented a KA24 the hard way.:D

The KA24E is basically a Z24 block with a better breathing 3 valve head and EFI. Same bore/stroke size, same oil pump. If you keep the Z24 pistons the compression will be very low with this head. Very low.

There is a guy in australia who did a ka head on a l series and turboed it. There is a huge write up full of tons of mods. Kind of pointless unless you happen to have a ka head floating around and a headless l block. Also tons of time and $$$ to waste.

If you want a ka do a ka. I think it would be less work to turbo a l head. Find a ca18det for factory turbo.

I brought up this post as I know rebello has built them also with DE heads and they supposedly scream also I know troy ermish has done the z22 with ka head but I have never heard from someone that actually built one to a guideline on what to look for and feedback as to how it drives. reason also is I have a Z24 block already and also supposedly I would not have to do mods to the crossmember. pretty much would match up to my ZX trans I have now. oh also I know about the pistons I will change the pistons out to KA ones. also I am not going to use fuel injection. I am going to stay carbe'd

thank you

If you were racing and rules state you had to use Nissan parts only, or you were limited to 2.2 liter size then you would want the max advantage afforded by using a 3 valve head that 'bolts on'. Then yes.

All things equal I would use the KA motor, lot of work making a KA out of a Z24. Keep up dating this post as you go.

copied from the listing...

Rebello build Hybrid motor -- I have a Rebello built 2.5 Hybrid motor that naturally aspirated should produce close to 300hp(according to Rebello). It is comprised of a modified 12-valve KA24 head, Nap-Z24 block, and uses exterior L-series components making it a ideal 510 transplant. It was built to Rebello's earlier 2001 GT3-240sx tube-frame race car spec's, which used side-drafts carbs for fuel. It comes with 0 miles, receipts,45mm Delorto's, special built manifold, S&S Header/merge collector, Tilton Aluminum Flywheel & clutch, 4:38 R180 R-end, custom cross member & motor mounts. Can be installed in other vehicles other than 510 such as 240sx. Great track car motor, affordable drifter motor, or with head shim will run on pumped gas for street car. To get a better idea of what I have visit this address: http://picasaweb.google.com/kevgib2

thanks for all the insight. I guess I will have to just go and build one. just need to get a blown motor or at least the head from someone and go from there. this project will happen but on hold for a bit so I can finish my house work. if anyone has a blown motor or at least sohc or dohc head they can contribute to this project let me know. prefer someone in the bay area. also if others that own a motor like what I am talking let me know how you like it.

thanks

I have talked to Dave Rebello and he recommends the DE head if I can get one as he says it will blow away the sohc head. I guess I will just have to find out on my own unless I come up with a load of cash and just have Dave Rebello build the motor. I have one of his motors now and it is fun to drive. I rather build on my own to learn and improve on. I have all the tools to assemble motors just need some time and money

• 14 years later...
  • 9 months later...
On 8/27/2008 at 1:57 PM, bonvo said:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i100/bonvo/kaz25-2.jpg

looks like a strong runner and look at the complete exhaust system that comes with it:eek::lol:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i100/bonvo/kaz25.jpg

On 8/27/2008 at 5:29 PM, datzenmike said:

Exterior L series components? If it has a KA head and valve cover and Z24 block... what's left that could be L series?? The mounts and the oil pan?

I want it!

I believe I just bought an engine just like this, was told it was a Rebello Z24 block and ka24E head. can anyone help me identify the head? when I get more time, ill need help identifying the trans to be able to buy a clutch kit for it. 

Napz 2400.jpg

Z24s were only used in the '83-'86'5 720 and 85'5-'89 D21 trucks. It was used in the Vanette but they were all recalled.

The Z24 and the KA24E both used a 240mm clutch and pressure plate.

The Z24 used a 71B 5 speed in the 720 truck and in the D21 the Z24 and the KA used the 71C 5 speed. The were interchangeable but the 71C was stronger.

I don't see any difference between the S13 KA24E head and the D21 KA24E head. 11041-40F11

40 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Z24s were only used in the '83-'86'5 720 and 85'5-'89 D21 trucks. It was used in the Vanette but they were all recalled.

The Z24 and the KA24E both used a 240mm clutch and pressure plate.

The Z24 used a 71B 5 speed in the 720 truck and in the D21 the Z24 and the KA used the 71C 5 speed. The were interchangeable but the 71C was stronger.

I don't see any difference between the S13 KA24E head and the D21 KA24E head. 11041-40F11

Thanks Mike. You are a wealth of knowledge. It is a 71B that came with it. I’m guessing I can just order a 720 clutch kit…

IMG_3025.jpeg