The 510 and S2000 love tale!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is NOT true, Mark Z28.

Too many believe too much hearsay and word of mouth hype.

You have to be VERY, VERY careful about ANYTHING you do to the intake OR exhaust to not lose power on these engines. Honda engineers tuned this engine to the very finest increments. HTF do you think they got that much power out of a tiny N/A motor, dude?

INTAKE and EXHAUST tuning at it's WORLD CLASS FINEST,

with the cash of Honda Corp. to finance the R/D.

Put a "non-restrictive" 3 inch exhaust on this, and see what happens.

Bet you $100 that you end up with @ 130 HP.

Too many morons think a huge(ie, TOO BIG for engine) exhaust makes power. WRONG!!!!

If you aren't pumping out the volumes of gases required to keep the exhaust temp, and thereby flow velocity up, you KILL HP. MOST of us REALLY need to go learn gasoline I/C engine engineering/tuning basics, and quit believing crap internet lore, hype, and nonsense.

I'd like to see your very well done, beautiful car on a chassis dyno.

I'd LOVE to see what real world H.P. you are putting out, compared to a stock S2000...

Two and a half exhaust is probably pretty close.

Awesome job, in any regard!!

Edited by agentalpha

Put a "non-restrictive" 3 inch exhaust on this, and see what happens.

Bet you $100 that you end up with @ 130 HP.

I'll take that bet. Really I will. You honestly think that changing to a larger exhaust will loose you ~80hp.

F20C's are really nice engines, but they are not as magical as you are making them seem. They will respond to the same modifications that other engines respond to.

Maybe not 80hp.

And magical engine, hell no.

However, as I stated, this engine set the WORLD RECORD

at the time for N/A HP-CC's in a car.

PERIOD.

Reasons stated above.

These guys had LOTS of experience in swaps. MINOR changes AFTER the exhaust manifold lost NEARLY 30 HP.

Search after market exhaust systems on N/A S2000's.

Who makes 'em, and how much they are.

And how much you actually gain(if their claims are even honest).

Try it.

Now tell me why that is...

Besides. I'm not here to split hairs,

or argue basic engineering facts vs. internet folklore.

I'm SURE 180 HP is very, very quick in a datsun 510.

AWESOME build, and THAT'S what matters.

I'll take that bet. Really I will. You honestly think that changing to a larger exhaust will loose you ~80hp.

F20C's are really nice engines, but they are not as magical as you are making them seem. They will respond to the same modifications that other engines respond to.

Edited by agentalpha

Here is a link to testing of aftermarket bolt-ons for an S2000, complete with dyno charts (I know its Import Tuner, I hate that poo rag also). Not huge gains, but gains none the less. Honda did a very good job of building designing these engines, but things can always be improved on. The bhp per liter record that they set is also pretty impressive for a street engine.

I would also be very interested to see a link to the Miata build that you speak of.

I must agree. You do need to be careful when tampering with an S2000. They are pretty "tuned" stock. There are some good aftermarket parts and there are some that are S@%T! CT Engineering and HONDATA are the only two I stand behind. I do have a little experience with the S2000. :rolleyes:

Here are a few shots of me driving my 2004 S2000.

2007Runoffsandtheboysfirstweeken-2.jpg

2007Runoffsandtheboysfirstweeken-1.jpg

2007Runoffsandtheboysfirstweekendat.jpg

Good luck - I love your 510! :D

• Like 1

I'd be more worried about the goobered together crossmember breaking in two during some hard cornering. What's a loss of power from a non-optimal exhaust when your struts fly apart and your motor falls out? :D You fixed that, right? Right?

Edited by thisismatt
I'd be more worried about the goobered together crossmember breaking in two during some hard cornering. What's a loss of power from a non-optimal exhaust when your struts fly apart and your motor falls out? :D You fixed that, right? Right?

Me to...cause breaking the x-member would kinda suck, no matter how much power you are making.