The 510 and S2000 love tale!

You are inspiring me to get going on my 520 / miata 1.6 motor swop. I'm going to start the project this winter. When I get started on the project I'll start a thread here. Your S2K swop is SO COOL! Keep posting pics!

Bob3

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're doing a great job on this, can't wait to see it finished! Is the speedo on the s2k cluster digital or something? I've never been in one before... I first saw your custom cluster pic and was like, "What? He's only got a tach huh?" lol

haha yeah...looks like just the tach will light up..but heres a pic how it should look when the car is on...this is the 01-03 cluster..the 04 and up is kind of different configuration.

clusterread.jpg

might i ask what is the point in the tips being different sizes?

" you can tune the air flow " haha..

you can close the smaller outlet to control the flow and tune...dont know really if really works...but i like the idea...lol

So I know it was earlier in the post but I wanted to note if you do not have direct contact with the fuel the JB weld should be ok. I used JBweld in my fuel tank and on the top. I had direct fuel contact in both areas. I followed the instructions on the package and even roughed the surface with sandpaper and thoroughly cleaned it up before applying.

....Keep the pics coming this is going to be a great project thread:thumbsup:

you're right..the gas or any solvent will eventually give up on the JB..

I used JB weld on the top of the welding...basically to protect the welding spots, JB its outside from any contact with the gasoline... the reason i used it is to close any possible small air leaks on the welding...but JB should not see any gas...

right now..im waiting for some aussie parts... dont know how long it will take to come by...but last weekend i dealt with the harness...dang!! its time comsuming...but i think im almost done with it...

algo i just picked my radiator from the welding shop..( added some extra sensors ) but the shop took almost 4 weeks to do some welds...wish i can learn how to weld aluminum to do it myself.....! the shop charged me $120 for two bung welds...:(

You are inspiring me to get going on my 520 / miata 1.6 motor swop. I'm going to start the project this winter. When I get started on the project I'll start a thread here. Your S2K swop is SO COOL! Keep posting pics!

Bob3

DO IT!! go for it man..! the 1.6 Doch miata pulls hard!! basically the motor mounts is almost the same to deal with a sr, ka ,f20...then the wiring of the datsun is very *friendly in order to adapt it to another motor...:D

* if your dime has stock harness...not like the rat nest i had for wiring...lol

• 4 weeks later...

well...it runs. im really exited! whoo hoo!

no codes, still using the s2k harness mixed with the 510 harness and some mods. keeping the fuse box for looks. and re-wring the interior dash harness.

this is the first start up, crank up...the motor its been sitting there for almost a year...and it jsut started up.

th_18cb11d4.jpg

now need to fab the exhaust, and touch ups..i really wanted to get a fresh coat of paint thou.

but looks like it will run steady

btw: i should mention, no gas leaks ! :)

and sorry for the crappy vid. ( cell phone)

Edited by xyzalvarez
Nice work!

WOOHOO, So sick man!! Congrats!!!!

thanks guys...woohoo!

finally looks i can see the light after the tunnel..lol

:cool:

wiil you be able to drive it out to the next event, on 11/9 in city of industry?

dont know man...unless i drive it open header lol!

need to finish some bugs..like cluster blinker signals, unused harness, xtra gauges and electrical commodities ( headunit )

also need to get the exhaust fabbed ...problably next week if i finish some electrical during this coming days..

btw whats the next event?

finally looks i can see the light after the tunnel..lol

dont know man...unless i drive it open header lol!

btw whats the next event?

:cool: theyre bright too :blink:

i got earplugs for you, not too sure about the cops :fu:

Datsun Car Show and Swap Meet at Superior Nissan 11/9 city of industry 10-4 (its on the DQ events page)

well...it runs. im really exited! whoo hoo!

no codes, still using the s2k harness mixed with the 510 harness and some mods. keeping the fuse box for looks. and re-wring the interior dash harness.

this is the first start up, crank up...the motor its been sitting there for almost a year...and it jsut started up.

th_18cb11d4.jpg

now need to fab the exhaust, and touch ups..i really wanted to get a fresh coat of paint thou.

but looks like it will run steady

btw: i should mention, no gas leaks ! :)

and sorry for the crappy vid. ( cell phone)

Very cool project. Be proud.

Any ideas of the weight of this engine/tranny combo?

I have heard rumers that the engine is superlight....

Very cool project. Be proud.

Any ideas of the weight of this engine/tranny combo?

I have heard rumers that the engine is superlight....

im not so sure but its not more than 350 pounds.. basically its like a K20 engine with Rwd tranny. maybe i can put it right next to a KA swap but instead of iron block its a aluminum... so maybe it can even hit 300.

update:

Well Finally the car is on the ground and yesterday had the exhaust made

by supertining.. koko is the man! mandrel bent 2.5, straight with a v clamp,

used the DT greddy exahuast and now the tone is lower and nice...

i had enough driving it open header..! lol

still need to finish some cosmetic stuff, passenger seat, fender install, engine damper, get my chrome grill back, and just a nice headunit.

hopefully i can borrow a video camera and snap some fwy time.

ill post pics later

btw im putting it for sale , so anyone can finish it. :fu:

• 2 weeks later...
SOOO where is the video :D

still no video..lol but i just got a new camera...soon as i drive it again , ill try.

meanwhile, i been working on the inside, dash wiring, cluster , mitsu center console, and im 95% over the engine.. removed some 30's year tar and put some bedliner paint...

2-1.jpg

this is the engine bay...almost done i think.

1-1.jpg

and this is how it sits now..

3-1.jpg

IMG_2584.jpg

still need to get some stuff, my MC is leaking NOW!! dang! why not before..

try to find out a cable operated hand brake, and pass side fender. ...

maybe i can drive it for the garage meet on eagle rock. need to find some goodies

btw im putting it for sale , so anyone can finish it. :fu:

why man why after all the work you have done why would you sell it

i wanna see how the exhaust was run i know the s2k exhaust exits on the opisite side of the car as the 510 did you route it so it comes out in the stock location or in a different spot

• 2 weeks later...

i was kidding.! i think this is the one i will keep...

althou i have the tendency to build my cars and the sell them for cheap.

but this one...has my sweat all around lol...

im on my way to car wash. and take some few pics...

hopefully tomorrow we can drive it with my wife and kid to the meet.

need some rear light trims and plugs. :D

Nice build.

I would HIGHLY recommend using as much of the stock intake and exhaust as you can get to fit.

As Honda squeezed every last bit of N/A HP out of the motor from the factory,

the engine is tuned to the highest standard of technology using STOCK parts.

They designed the entire drive train, and every part on it,

with harmonics and resonance in mind.

I've seen this swap into a Miata, and they lost LOTSA HP,

because they couldn't use the factory exhaust.

Good luck.