The 510 and S2000 love tale!

well..finally i decided to share my story...love story it is...!

im new to this forum but last year decided you join to the datsun family.

i used to own a B series turbo built crx,

( GE sleeves, CP 9.1, eagle rods, 750cc, .60 T3, 3" piping, rev valves, JG springs, act six puck clutch. blablla.. )

it was fun being teased by sti's, ls1's and 240's,,,when you car weights 1800lbs and 309whp to the ground @ 12 psi on pump gas

but i think my childhood with grampa kicked in and wanted to get me a L series motor , so i ditch the boosted dream and got my a 510 last year after looking for a while .

the car ran great with the L16 w/ SU's hitting tops 80 mph at the 118 fwy ,

but i need more and wanted to do something by myself, not just get the car keys from a runing 510.. wanted to fall in love with it...and well finally i had the chance to get f20c swap to start with.

had the chance to get a SR swap , KA or 302 shortblock...

but the s2k swap is just what i wanted, being around H motors and tuning choices, the s2000 swap was the right choice for me.

had to fix some stuff before getting the swap

( suspention , rear disc convertion , front 280zx brakes , lighting , fixing a 30's something short circuit , spider web as a wiring harness, etc )

been working for some time now... getting info ( thing that is almost imposible for this kind of proyect ) ,

what im trying to do is use honda info and apply it into the datsun (evil laughter : muahahahaha ) well mostly is datsun info ...or whatever it comes

today , had the chance to take some pics ...

been working on the weekends and hope to keep posting the process....

hopefully can get some answers too, from my fellow datsun owners too..!

1970 510

b.jpg

a.jpg

stock L16 with SU's and dog leg tranny !

datsun3.jpg

last day with sotck motor.

4.jpg

upsy daisy!

1.jpg

enginebay.jpg

mock up crossmember... after testing, cutting, and cutting again, i finally came up with this...it has the angle the motor needs and clears the firewall too..not so sure of the linking arm..but will see..

2.jpg

test fitting. looks like it was meant to be...

5.jpg

next stage : fuel system, gas tank relocation , and learn how to AN fitting it ... :P

will this love story finish in happily ever after tale..?! i hope so...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what made you deside on the s2k motor? ive heard that in terms or making big power there kind of lacking its alot easier to get the power out of an sr at least from what i have read but on the same note i like it its somthing different keep it up:thumbsup:

I like motor swaps, I've never been into honda's... I did ride in a buddies S2000, it was impressive for 100% stock! He wouldn't let me drive though :D haha I saw a dude at Golden Gardens with that engine. I told him we should race (I have an SR) he declined :D The only thing I didn't like about the swap is where he mounts the engine, the pan was so low he had to keep it stock height... Hopefully you can keep your engine a bit higher.

Can't wait for more pics. :D

what made you deside on the s2k motor? ive heard that in terms or making big power there kind of lacking its alot easier to get the power out of an sr at least from what i have read but on the same note i like it its somthing different keep it up:thumbsup:

thats a question i made to myself several times before i start the swap...

and finally i found out, I just want to build a car that I really like / enjoy or at least try to..lol , im not looking for power...maybe power depends on how much moola we can drop at any engine...but in my case its easier to work on honda motors...nothing against a SR ...a 2.0 stock motor who can reach almost 400whp bone stock.. also a boosted KA motor..whoooa!!

in this case a N/A 9000rpm motor rings my bell...

I like motor swaps, I've never been into honda's... I did ride in a buddies S2000, it was impressive for 100% stock! He wouldn't let me drive though :D haha I saw a dude at Golden Gardens with that engine. I told him we should race (I have an SR) he declined :D The only thing I didn't like about the swap is where he mounts the engine, the pan was so low he had to keep it stock height... Hopefully you can keep your engine a bit higher. Can't wait for more pics. :D

im starting to ditch the idea of getting low low...but i tried to match the same level where the tension/tie bars goes..and protec the oil pan with a 1" square tubing..hopefully at the time getting the car off the jacks it will seat decent...i really like how you set your dime and the way you set the rear tires....so dang low! killer!

the s2k motor is a streat six right? so why not a rb or is a rb to long. i mean thats a cool idea but i thought it was a sin to put a honda motor into a nissan's?

its a 4 banger... tiny motor if you ask... i had no experience dealing with nissan motor wirings / ems or codes.. thats why i kept the H motor... i really like nissan motors... my grampa used to swap datsun motors to anything..

he had a kia 80's with a L motor on it.. a vauxhall 60's with another L series motor...he had tranny, cases etc in the backyard....

and last year before he died, i showed him my new 510... and what he said ? " hooo a datsun, those are nice motors..."

catgivingfinger.gif

jFk

i cant wait to see how this work out

me too! :)

Nice car, badass motor, 240hp out 2liters... but still, to each his own, I would have chosen differently (I also had some quick hondas at one time), I'm sure it will be a fun ride none the less.

Only because you brought up the money issue... S2k motors aren't exactly cheap, this is the F20c not the F22c correct? You could have 2 SR20Det motors or one badass one for the price of even the F20... HELL, you could have one rip snortin NA KA24E (sohc) motor... and btw the KA motors get their DNA from L's

I'm starting to ditch the idea of getting low low...but i tried to match the same level where the tension/tie bars goes..and protec the oil pan with a 1" square tubing..hopefully at the time getting the car off the jacks it will seat decent...i really like how you set your dime and the way you set the rear tires....so dang low! killer!

Keep it low!! :D Sorry I can't help but tell everyone that :D I just wanted to bring it up. I made a few mistakes building my car, It's just hard to think of everything when you are building it. When I built my rack and pinion I didn't even think of how close the oil pan was to the ground. Shit when I put it together it was 2' off the ground on jack stands.... Who thinks of how low the pan will be once the car is back on the ground haha :D

I think the S2000 engine is bad ass!! Nissan didn't bring anything like it to the US. I would really like the SR16VVT N1 engine. Its 1.6L naturally aspirated producing 205hp!! There are a few reasons it would be tuff to install. I don't want to go into detail and take away from your project.

Nice car, badass motor, 240hp out 2liters... but still, to each his own, I would have chosen differently (I also had some quick hondas at one time), I'm sure it will be a fun ride none the less.

Only because you brought up the money issue... S2k motors aren't exactly cheap, this is the F20c not the F22c correct? You could have 2 SR20Det motors or one badass one for the price of even the F20... HELL, you could have one rip snortin NA KA24E (sohc) motor... and btw the KA motors get their DNA from L's

yep ! you're right..this is the f20..the f22 is drive by wire..

and well to make it short i got this engine for freebie...kind of..

here's what happened: i wanted to get a new swap for my dime. something "fresh" , so decided to get a wrecked car from an auction insurance company... meet some ppl , got my licence and boom..i was shopping for a 350z or s2k swap... after making some " marketing", find out will be eaiser to sell s2k car parts than 350z..( even tho i was 90% close to get a vq35, i love my G ) and after 10+ bids in like 4 months of so...finally got my my s2k.

the car was running...basically it was hit from the back, the trunk was folded..but other than that. the car was in a great condition... took the motor, tranny, harnness, driveshaft, pedals, radiator, ecu...important parts for the swap... and sold the rest of the car : diff, doors, roof, hood, headlights..etc.. basically i ended with a 1k+ profit and a free engine...

you cant say no to that lol.

I bought a built L16 from a guy who is putting a S2000 motor in his dime. It has been a long project and still is not done. Should be a fuckin screamin ass ride tho:eek:

its taking me time to get the right measures before cutting...and the " fun " part is that there's no info about it.... mostly s2k owners are happy with headers , intake , rims... and mostly nissan puritisms dont like the idea of this swap. it took me balls to post this.. after looking on other nissans forums...... but the dime owners are very friendy guys :P

you can see dimes with 13b's, 302's, SR, maybe even DSM's...

and nobody trash on you..basically you get support.. :) hoooo

and mostly dime owners like to work on their cars... A+ !

not just get a over the shelf parts and drop loads of moola...

we get down and " duuurty "...!

Keep it low!! :D Sorry I can't help but tell everyone that :D I just wanted to bring it up. I made a few mistakes building my car, It's just hard to think of everything when you are building it. When I built my rack and pinion I didn't even think of how close the oil pan was to the ground. Shit when I put it together it was 2' off the ground on jack stands.... Who thinks of how low the pan will be once the car is back on the ground haha :D ......

well right now my coilovers are all the way down..so probably the only way now is up...lol...i tried so hard to match the L16 oil pan height...hopefully i made the right cuts...lol

hey btw i just score a set of eclipse adj. rear shocks...ill give it a try, looks like it fit right...

the update for today...

wanted to use s2k gas tank ( using oem sender and pump , even with EFI fittings ) but doesn't fit right on the trunk..

decided to chop the fuel pump ring and weld it into the stock 510 gas tank.

and used JB to " seal " any posible air leaks.

also because the 510 gas tank fail to have " reserve gas unit " im using gas tank foam to avoid suddenly starvation

im using 3/8 lines , AN fittings , and the oem datsun tank...nothing like oem stuff!

Stock 510 gas tank

gastank510.jpg

simple template

510gas.jpg

chopped s2k tank

gastank.jpg

s2k ring into 510 gas tank

gasweld.jpg

JB rocks! lol

gasfix.jpg

I like to keep the engine and chassis in the same family but if I was going to go outside the box that would be my first choice I have autocrossed a S2K with my friend and although they have NO torque they make good power and the rev forever, alot of old school toyota celica guys in this area are doing the same swap...I was also told you have to keep the factory gauge cluster (speedo cluster???) to make the car run it has something to do with the ecu stuff, so I hope you didnt sell that too :blink:

I've read a few things about JB weld not holding up to gasoline. Haven't used it against gas myself, but they were credible people.

I don't mean to be a jerk but those welds look pretty iffy. :blush: If you're just starting out welding there are a lot of videos on youtube that can be helpful

I did a very similar EFI pump installation on a 510 tank. It was sold before I used it. The new owner has hat it in service for over a year and no problems. They guy you (thisismatt) are talking about used it on the bottom of his tank and inside his tank. I'm pretty sure he also didn't let it fully set. I've helped him with different aspects of his EFI swap. He misses the point often..

Using it on the top like this, there will be near zero contact with the gas. This setup worked fine for me and I'm sure it will work fine for you too xyzalvarez.

i used the JB it as " vapor sealant " , not for liquid pourposes...even tho, i heard a lot of ppl using even on blocks, valve cover etc...with good results..

weld it using a mig machine... there not the best looking welds, but does the work lol....

anyways here we go.

ordered some stuff for the brake lines and fuel system..i get a little overboard with ordering parts...but if something i detest is to stop doing something and rush the " home depot " or other store to get just an extra nut. even worse when you have to order it...

took some pics just to add some color to the post... :P

my "hand brake"

IMG_0786.jpg

some tools and hoses.

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0793.jpg

some fittings i may use.

IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0796.jpg

i really spect to use the EFI fitting in order to keep the OEM gas pump.

IMG_0789.jpg

pre-filter and filter...ftw!

OEM clutch and exedy disk

IMG_0801.jpg

some -3an lines just in case i will need them

IMG_0788.jpg

also traded my autobahns for some meshies..!

no caps :|

IMG_0821.jpg

but got me some caps later...they dont fit right, missing about 1mm..

but i already have an idea how to make them fit... =)

IMG_0785.jpg

all I have to say is have fun and hope you enjoy the S2K motor in the 510. I am an ex Z guy then honda guy and know what you are talking about. just have fun. I even toyed with the idea of this motor in my car but for now I am focusing on home stuff rather than car stuff.

keep me posted on the results

all I have to say is have fun and hope you enjoy the S2K motor in the 510. I am an ex Z guy then honda guy and know what you are talking about. just have fun. I even toyed with the idea of this motor in my car but for now I am focusing on home stuff rather than car stuff.

keep me posted on the results

yeah man! both words are the best..! lol i really enjoy working on H motors..but nissans are great cars with a lot of history..!

...so why not mix both?!! haha...

Ill try to post everything i can...im not too good with the camera , but ill try..

well then... free S2k swap... HAVE AT IT! Its almost a perfect motor for the dime... rev happy small displacement 4cylinder, only downside is its made by honda... HELL, have the valve cover machined then slap a nismo sticker on it.

the sticker idead would be nice..! erase the honda and leave " nissan vtec " lol

I'll have all those nissan puritans all over me. :fu:.. !! hahaha ...

but your idea is tempting for sure... ill think about it...:rolleyes:

just for now , cleaned the trunk and bay...

wanted to paint it..but my friend whos good at it couln't do it for me,

some back problems i think...well at least i sprayed some anti rust...

just to clean it up a litte bit...

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

not the greatest shaved engine bay, but it will make some time till i can get a new fresh paint all over...but now got stuck with some primer anti rust ...

looks fine i guess... meantime.

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg

and gas tank installed using s2k fuel pump and sender...

gastank-1.jpg

gastankfitting.jpg

2eDeYe;77023']I've used JB Weld to 'adapt' a carb base plate to work with a different intake. Never had a problem. It's all about the prep and cure time.

Looks great. Can't wait to see the motor in there :cool:

yep you're right...i guess if the JB is applied as directed...it shouldn't have any problems...even thou i used it as " back up" sealant for the gas tank.

and i got crazy on it... ahaha..

BTW heres the bracket to hold the s2k pedal...

needed to cut it ' date=' weld, and position the pedal like 4 times , but in the end

looks like it came with the car...i even used the s2k cable and firewall clip... :P

[img']http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/b16crx_2007/510%20proyect/s2kpedal.jpg[/img]

s2kpeda2.jpg

This swap is gonna be bad ass ive driven several S2k and they are not bad the older ones have a higher rev limiter. Nice

yeap..the ap2 came with 500 rpm less...but they make same power..

the only difference is the 2.0- 2.2 liter make power early...

now for today...i have the brake lines done. tucked and removed the " prop valve" , and have " 0 "leaks !! :P

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

i took me almost 4 hours to finish this brake hook up

IMG_1063.jpg