Need 80s transmission identification help

wayno

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's awesome wayno!!!!

Looks like a column shift 4 speed standard. An RS4W71B. Not used on anything shipped here to the North American market. I have reason to believe that this is really a 3 speed with an overdrive, still a 4 speed though. The OD synchronized hub is mounted on the (lower) counter shaft behind the adapter plate and not the mainshaft.... fascinating. Reverse gears are just in front of the adapter plate.

The starter is on the left like a SD diesel or old Roadster. (although this trans wasn't available for the roadster, here at least)

You've made my day.

What other Nissans had the SD in them? Tell me more...

So would the front case be the same as a standard 5 speed case, or would it be different inside?

It was supposed to be an automatic, but we were baffled by the clutch arm sticking out the side, it's connected to a SD23 diesel engine that a guy bought on the diesel forum.

I actually thought it might be something like that VW bug transmission that you just shifted without using the clutch, one could start out in fourth if you wanted, but it was faster off the line if you used the gears, it was like an automatic, but I never owned one, so I don't know all the specifics about it.

I should imagine the front case is identical to the regular 71B 4 speed or 5 speed. The location of the reverse light switch may be the difference.

All 4 and 5 speeds I've seen had the reverse switch here...
FS5W71Breverseswitchlocation.jpg

Some are an inch to the rear on that boss

This ones been plugged and a new hole drilled forward of it.

relocatereverseswitchfor5spd.jpg

This transmission only has 2 shift levers on it that I can see, and it is connected to a SD23, it's one of them JDM used diesel engines, how can one get 5 speeds and a reverse with only 2 levers?

He says the engine salesman said it had some kind of automatic transmission connected to it, but I have to admit, it don't look like any automatic I ever seen, and them guys might not even see what they are selling, it's all just a crap shoot buying from a place like that.