?? gas mileage

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1971 Datsun 521

l20b .....z/l series 5 sp tranny .. one piece drive line ..3.88....18" wheels.,.,.. 22 on average ... but im in town a lot .,.. some days I get pretty heavy footed having a l20 now over the 1600......weber 32/36   needs jetted too but and I warm my truck up in the am for about 15 minutes with the choke on...

I get around 20 with Hitachi carb "bigger bore" stock L20 intake, peanut head, z tranny with 3.90 gears on 185/60r14s.

Since I use the freeway a lot now, any faster than 65 is like opening a floodgate

I get around 20 with Hitachi carb "bigger bore" stock L20 intake, peanut head, z tranny with 3.90 gears on 185/60r14s.

Since I use the freeway a lot now, any faster than 65 is like opening a floodgate

Lol I tried for a few tanks to stay out of the secondary's and it was a waste of effort .... And a leg cramp for 200 plus miles

I got about 32 on Imperial gallon that's just a hair under 26.6 MP(US)Gallon.

maybe my car is off...

L20b, slight bore and mild cam

weber 32/36

195/60/r14

4.11 gears

... I get about 26-28mpg doing 65-68ish

I want these kinda numbers

When I broke in my LZ23 in the 521 dually flatbed, I went to Renton WA from Vancouver WA, I got about 23mpg, I was all over the place though, going fast, going slow, going really fast(broke the speedo needle off), normally I am lucky to get 17mpg, I was surprised.

One thing to keep in mind about me, I drive fast, so I averaged 17-19 mpg for years.

Lol I tried for a few tanks to stay out of the secondary's and it was a waste of effort .... And a leg cramp for 200 plus miles

It really is, you have to open the secondarys to get in the powerband ...but the powerband is needed to keep up with traffic...its a vicious circle  :lol:

45 years ago, properly tuned for altitude, on my way from Great Falls Montana to San Bernardino, at 65mph my RL411 got 38 MPG [Engine efficiency meets drag coefficient], at sea level in city traffic since then, 20 MPG. That's with the Borg Warner 3 speed automatic transmission.

45 years ago, properly tuned for altitude, on my way from Great Falls Montana to San Bernardino, at 65mph my RL411 got 38 MPG [Engine efficiency meets drag coefficient], at sea level in city traffic since then, 20 MPG. That's with the Borg Warner 3 speed automatic transmission.

Gas cost alot less 45 yrs ago.