uh...z32 might be wider than a 411...

kks_john

A yea..... Welding on a axle is asking for disaster it will snap. I don't remember the exact material their made from, a spring steel of some sort, very hard stuff. I once welded a set of u bolts to a old tractor one time and the freakin springs busted right in half.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought about that, but I have not heard of a car with axles as short as these need to be. they are so short I will have to use shorter throw struts to keep from over-articulating the axle.

another thought would be to have a machine shop re-spline one end after it's cut to length.

If you weld an axle, it will break. The right way to do it is to have it shortened and re-splined. I had Dutchman shorten and re-spline a pair of axles for me. They are in NE Portland just off 82nd. It cost me $120 for the pair.

Okay more pics please !!! I have looked at all your post i could find(on a few other forums too) so please post some pics. your killing me:lol:.I would realy like to see what your doing for the for the front end. I was thinking about a 510 rearend in mine i have one layin aroud so i would love too see. also are you in the vancouver area I would love to come check it.

If you weld an axle, it will break. The right way to do it is to have it shortened and re-splined. I had Dutchman shorten and re-spline a pair of axles for me. They are in NE Portland just off 82nd. It cost me $120 for the pair.

ya axles are HARD, Brian had to have his cut to.

HughDogZ can prob tell you where he got all his work done

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

UPDATE:

the motor that is going in it is GOOD! I thought I had to send it to the machine shop again. whew!

The spare tire well is in the dumpster. I had to take it out to fit the subframe in.

The engine is halfway put together and the transmission is clearanced.

I hope to have it running and driving without the roll cage by Canby.

next hurdle is getting my hands on a clutch by canby.

pics will be up tomorrow I hope.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

John started on the custom tranny tunnel last night, its mostly fabbed up just needs to be welded in place after the sound deadening goo is gone. Any tips for that stuff? Also, custom front crossmember plans were layed out last night along with a material list made for completion. Its the little crap that john and these guys are worrying about thats bothering me, plus slowing progress!

Josh helped John create a new crossmember for the tail shaft of the transmission so now hes good to go on the drivetrain mounting.

This thing will be ridiculous!