78 620 Disc brake upgrade

BigBearFoley

So i was looking into upgrading the disc brakes in the from of my 78 620 king cab. I search and could not find a list of items that would work for me. I know the 77's and lower have a special braket to adapt them from beebini. So I am not sure what I need since I already have discs on the front. Can some one point me in the direction of a compatable parts list or give me some advice. i know i am going to redo the rears as well before i get it back on the road so any advice there would be awesome as well.

So here are my 2 questions for you:

1/ Since I have a 78620 that has disc brakes from the factory do I need the bracket to adapt different brakes.

2/ What rotors and calipers can I can I swap in to my 78 620 King Cab

3/ what do I need for the rears? is it the same as all lower years? or is it different?

Thanks for your help in advance. Love the community here at Ratsun very helpful keep it up!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is exactly what I did on my 78' KC to upgrade the brakes & utilize dropped spindles:

Bell-Tech D21 Dropped Spindles (2wd 4cylinder spindles 85.6' thru 97')

BRAKES:

85.6' thru 97' 2wd 4cylinder D21 Hardbody truck hubs & the dust shields if you want them

85.6' thru 97' 4x4 Hardbody or Pathfinder Calipers & Mounting brackets (keep the hardware) 

Order new rotors for a 86-97 2wd D21 Hardbody V6 truck.

BALL JOINTS:
Upper ball joints are the same from 78' to 97' ... Moog PN# K9022 
Lower ball joints are the same from 78' to 85' ... Moog PN# K9045 

My master cylinder (13/16") & all my steering components are stock. My brakes are not soft & works as expected. 

Rear are fine as drums unless you're running big horse power, IMO
  • Like 3

...just to add/clarify a bit on what heretic said...........use the spindles AND the hubs/rotors/calipers/hoses from the hardbody. 

There isn't any other rotor/calipers that will mount on your 620 spindles......but....you can easily swap the entire spindle/hub/rotor/caliper from a mid/late 720 or hardbody onto your 620.  Disconnect the two ball joints, the tierod and the hose and move everything over.

The advantage to using HB parts is if you do decide later to get dropped spindles, the same parts will fit.

• Like 4

...just to add/clarify a bit on what heretic said...........use the spindles AND the hubs/rotors/calipers/hoses from the hardbody. 

There isn't any other rotor/calipers that will mount on your 620 spindles......but....you can easily swap the entire spindle/hub/rotor/caliper from a mid/late 720 or hardbody onto your 620.  Disconnect the two ball joints, the tierod and the hose and move everything over.

The advantage to using HB parts is if you do decide later to get dropped spindles, the same parts will fit.

EXACTLY.!!!! thanks Mike :)

One more thing,HB parts require 15 inch rims.

GREAT point & partially true.... ??? I think.... after doing this conversion with dropped spindles my tie rod ends BARELY rubbed the inside of stock 15" Frontier wheels at full rotational lock & spun a few wheel weights. I'm just assuming the dropped spindles had nothing to do with this.

Funny how you think that when they came stock with 14" wheels.

I've thought that very same thing.!!!

Did I tell you that?  Hmm....not sure why.  The front brakes on the NL were HB and they fit stock steelies.  I had D50 rims on it because they look better.

I have some HB spindles here.  Anyone local have some 620 spindle setups?  I'll do a vid comparing everything and we'll get a final answer.   If the weather were better, I'd see about going to the scrapyard.

At the very least, I'll see if I can double check the HB stuff with a stock rims........soon.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hey this is juan from K-E

i just finish 3 new kits for the 620 with ball joints

one kit to use the 300zx calipers and 2 kits to use wilwood 4 piaton calipers

the 3 kits use 12.0 rotors you can call me at 951 214-9555

you can email me at krecs1@hotmail.com

2 distributors selling my kits

california datsun

silver mine motors

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...