Top Hat Spacers for a 280Z Help!!!

rattadat

I have searched high and low, Has anyone run across a top hat / strut spacer that will fit on the rear struts of a 280 s30? The reason I am looking for these is due to the fact that I "misunderstood" or was misinformed about the insert that was to be used in the rear strut housings. Now i have cut, sectioned, and welded all of the strut housings to accept the 92-95 mr2 front strut inserts. The problem is the rears are now way too short. In a completely extended state they are about where they need to be if the car was on the ground. so with the weight of the car they are going to be short.That being said I could adjust the coils up to make it sit right but then I will be at the top of the struts extension. Here are a couple pics to show what I am looking for. And how the rears look in comparison to the fronts.

strutspacer_zps75198497.jpg

I would want these to sit on top the rear strut hat. The bottom strut in the lower pic is the rear. Do you see how all of them are the same length. I now know this is incorrect. I DO NOT want to cut these tubes apart again to add another section. And have to order a different strut insert. So If anyone knows where I can find these type of spacers, that will work for the 280Z. I would greatly appreciate your response.

2014-01-04183143_zpsd4527211.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rattadat,

I feel your pain...lol. Ive got the issue but the other way around, we ned to fab something from the bottom up to get ride height and travel right...but to your problem...

It could be fixed, you need the upper mount section where the top of the spring sets to be lower...its a matter of adding material of the same dimension with a hole in it for the strut shaft.......check speedway.com in their suspension area....lots of items that may work..

Hope this helps if not its at least another site for parts that you may find useful, Ive used them for years on various projects.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...