1963/64 1200 Sport Truck Survivor for Christmas

difrangia

I've been on the 'Rat' since last spring when the 78 Bulletside came to live with us and you guys have been invaluable with advice and parts in bringing the old honey back to life. The 620 has grown to be one of the neatest drivers that I've owned. A good friend of mine had a new yellow one and a brown B210 back in the mid 70's and they was just transportation at the time. 

I have enjoyed intimate relationships with a number of widely varied automobiles over the years. A new honey has winked her pretty little eyes and, dammit, I just can't say no. Santa brought me a NL320 Sport Truck and its even in Santa's colour. I knew that the 320 trucks existed prior to signing up on Ratsun but had no idea that anything so sexy as the NL's was ever built. Between the posts here and internet research I just knew I had to have a closer look at one. I been here long enough to  know that if there's no 'Oics;  'It didn't happen'. So, for all the Oic Hos.

NL320In-TowFront_zpsa3861f48.jpg

I retrieved her the day after Christmas and we've been getting acquainted since. She looks to be, at least, 90% complete and original with one repaint at least 20 years ago. Most non original issue I've found is wheels and caps from a 520 maybe?? Tell me what you think.

More for the Oic Hos.

NL320NoseWCrank1_zps821d6dd0.jpg

NL320BehindSeat_zps63163c9c.jpg

Grille's a bit wacked on one side. Starting crank was behind the seat. Needs the proper crank pulley nut for the crank. I'll be posting for that and more.

NL320RREdmond_zps75b4305a.jpg

Nice tail, no? I'll be needing the 'Datsun 1200' emblem for the tailgate.

NL320RFEdmond_zps25a01336.jpg

The hood's about as lumpy and misshapen as a sack of rocks, so I'll be looking for a nice one. I believe she was built in early 63 and titled as 64. The cowl tag states 64. I'm torn between replacing the wonkered grille with a 63 or changing to a 64 grille.

NL320BedOpen_zps69a8a65c.jpg

Guess the PO's didn't know she was a truck. Fine with me. She's still not a truck.

NL320Dash1_zpsea96d38b.jpg

Peekin' in the back window. Clarion radio. Is that a dealer add-on??

NL320UnderDash_zps4ae7510c.jpg

Clarion speaker also with what appears to be a Japanese manufacturer name and a working heater. Check out that original floor mat. Couple of wear holes and almost as many wrinkles as me, but still one piece. Maybe a change to floor shift???

NL320PassDoorPanel_zps9498128a.jpg

Original door panels.

NL320Spare_zps46d417e1.jpg

Spare's right there where Datsun put it.

NL320EngineRight_zps81bed6e2.jpg

Oh yeah, the engine room. mostly original; has been changed to negative ground. Speedo shows 84K, but doesn't work. Stuck on 53mph (refer to the dash photo). Engine will be a rebuilder, early on. I'll be looking for part sources.

OK, a couple of family photos with 'Lil Hustler brother', Longbed.

TwoTruxLF_zpsd36bbca1.jpg

TwoTruxFront_zps0614b1ea.jpg

Well, it's New Year's Eve and I don't want to bore you good folks, so I propose a toast to a great 2014 for everyone here at Ratsun.

NL320AToast_zps26412940.jpg

And thanks again for all the help you guys have been. I'll be pickin' yer heads.

Steve

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my opinion, if it runs and drives, leave it more or less stock, if the engine or transmission is shot, then I would put a A series B210 engine in it with a 5 speed.

It has 520/521 chromed steel hubcaps, and someone painted the license plate cover, normally they are stainless steel.

DSCN0523.JPG

I have no idea why I don't have my "1200" badge on in this photo above.

DSCN1374.JPG

As Mike said above, leave the grill, the 64 grill has pie shaped turn signals that require cutting a square hole in both fenders.

BTW, don't throw anything away, no mater how bad it is, until you are done, and your truck needs nothing.

Not to mention the pie shaped turn signal lenses are suuuuper hard to find. Ask me how I know...

image_zps9c7c098e.jpg

Hahahaha! Mine are pretty rough

Question, is the tailgate emblem the same as the fender emblem? If so I may have one on my parts truck. (64 L320 with a 63 grill)

Not to mention the pie shaped turn signal lenses are suuuuper hard to find. Ask me how I know...

image_zps9c7c098e.jpg

Hahahaha! Mine are pretty rough

Question, is the tailgate emblem the same as the fender emblem? If so I may have one on my parts truck. (64 L320 with a 63 grill)

Wayno,

Thanks for the quick advice. I don't throw any vintage stuff away. The engine number matches the firewall plate so the engine has to stay with a rebuild. I see a lot of parts on Ebay and am searching the net and forums for part sources and interchanges. Looks like a lot of J13 (520/411) stuff will interchange. This looks like a good interchange guide to check out:

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=320

The 63 grille is growing on me. I have scoured the 320 forum and captured a photo of a 64 with the grille out and see the fender/valance cutout difference. I did assume that the 64 light parts would be impossible to find.

I've searched the forums and can't find out, but wondering if the 520 four speed will bolt up to the E1 engine. Trans mounts change? driveshaft mods? I'm not hell-bent on changing to floor shift, just a consideration. I'd have to give a lot of thought to changing a 50 year old survivor around .

A PO drilled a couple holes in the door chrome strips, evidently to mount some sort of mirrors, and there a couple good dings on driver side chrome. they could be restored but I'll probably be running an ad for them.

NL320DRDoor_zpsf7d00deb.jpg

I'd think that Datsun wouldn't use a unique 'Datsun 1200' emblem on the tailgate. I'll have to check that out closer & compare the mounting pin center-center distance between the door emblems and tailgate holes.

Steve

I know the door trim is longer on the NL so I can't help you there. You've got a great start man!

Yeah, Mike, the NL door strip is longer by couple inches, according to what I've read. I feel very lucky to have linked up with this rare little pickup. And I have been following your L320 thread on your pickup project.

Off group post me on the grille that you have. We were talking bout it several days ago. I'm gonna need the hood strip also. Does anyone know if the hood chrome/stainless strips are same from year to year??

Steve

Great NL there!!  Congrats!

The trim has a different profile(shape) on the NL compared to the L.

Don't forget that it's positive ground!! 

I personally really liked the column shift on mine.  Nosed into a downhill parking spot was as good as a security system......thief would never find reverse! lol

Have fun....they're great little trucks!! :)

I believe that the 520 transmission will bolt to the E1 engine as long as you have the adapter plate that came with the transmission, but you will need a 65 tunnel, instrument cluster face, you will need to make a transmission mount, and I don't even know about the driveline yoke.

The doors are NL320 specific, and the 1962, 63, and 65 grills will work without modification.

You should try to save the door trim for now, maybe something will come up, I have a few NL doors out back, but the trim is damaged on them also, but maybe not as bad as yours.

The "1200" emblem is the same as the fender emblems as far as I know.

The hood strips are all the same, I have a couple of them, and one seems to be straight, but very rusty, but likely can be saved if enough time and money were thrown at it.

I am hoping to get another complete set of trim in the next month or so, but I also am acquiring another 320 project also, so I have to see what the trim looks like on that project before I start selling anything I have, as I might need replacement parts, as I have not seen this project yet.

Parts for these vehicles are hard to find in good shape, so if you find any 320s in your area, don't let them go to scrap unless you have removed every good part on them.

And yes, Mikes NL320 he spoke of and is standing in front of in his avatar is now my NL320, I waited a week as I recall for him to deliver it to me, I actually expected a call from him, saying he had changed his mind about selling it.

Both avatars are the same NL320. :)

Great truck!  It has a little character (dents and dings) but that engine bay looks extremely clean and most of the original goodies are there.  The interior looks really nice also.  I would just drive it as it is.  Given how rare and unique the side trim is if you find a good metal polisher (it is stainless steel, not chromed) they may be able to weld the holes and straighten and polish up to look like new. 

Great NL there!!  Congrats!

The trim has a different profile(shape) on the NL compared to the L.

Don't forget that it's positive ground!! 

I personally really liked the column shift on mine.  Nosed into a downhill parking spot was as good as a security system......thief would never find reverse! lol

Have fun....they're great little trucks!! :)

Yeah, Mike, I drooled on the keyboard many times over the NL that was yours-now Wayno's in the process of becoming infatuated with these little beauties. This one is now negative ground with original generator. So far looks like everything works except wiper. Will have to dig further in to see what is up with it. Looks like the crank has been removed from wiper motor and I haven't found it yet. Motor doesn't run but haven't traced out electrics yet. There is a new wiper unit with the truck which I believe to be a 520 unit. I'll probably be posting a photo seeking ID on what I have. I understand, from posts here, that the 320 wiper motors are one of the rarer parts. More research to do. There will be a maximum effort to not change anything on this truck that can't be changed back with simple replacement when original stuff is located.

I do need some good leads on engine rebuild goodies. According to the link I put in earlier post above, many parts will interchange between the E1 & J13. A couple items not included in the interchange table was waterpump and clutch/pressure plate. I'll need some info on that. I'll be pickin' you guru's heads regularly on this.

Steve

Great truck!  It has a little character (dents and dings) but that engine bay looks extremely clean and most of the original goodies are there.  The interior looks really nice also.  I would just drive it as it is.  Given how rare and unique the side trim is if you find a good metal polisher (it is stainless steel, not chromed) they may be able to weld the holes and straighten and polish up to look like new. 

Thanks, Connor, repair is an option on the trim. I can do the straighten/polish but will have to locate a reputable welder for the holes or someone to do it all. I've done the stainless straighten/polish on 55-56-57 Chevy trimwork. Used to have a yard full of them. Then it was early VW bugs (still have several) with other oddballs thrown in along the way since the early 70's.

The little truck is oozing character. The old paint is good enough that I can proudly drive as-is with a very conservative fix here & there. The patina actually appeals to me more than new paint. Maybe a little re-chrome here & there. Primary on list is re-freshing the engine, new clutch/p. plate, maybe a seat cover before long when I start cruising her. Might need a speedometer. Stuck on 53. Have to check that out. Just evaluating all the details & making a want-list to work up a classified from.

Thanks for your input and Happy New Year to you and all.

Steve

Hi Steve,

So you were the Ebay buyer,

You got a good deal. It should have gone for $6K+.

As others suggest, do NOT change the shift.

This is a common 320 new owner disease but it will pass in a few weeks.. The Column shift makes the 320 unique.

It is a 63 so keep the current correct grille.

The radio was an option. The dealer installed what they had available so you see a variety of brands.

I have spare parts for sale so let me know what you need. 

I have the crank nut, tailgate emblem, speedometer, hood trim and a Left NL door stainless trim spear.

Ted.

Since you're thinking of doing some work on your engine, you may want to order a J-series engine head gasket set.  The part number is Victor Reinz HS3597.  When I ordered maybe six months ago they were around $20.  I can't confirm that the J head gasket itself fits the E-1 (though it should) because I haven't done my head gasket, but the set comes with other gaskets you will need that are hard to find like a valve cover gasket, intake/exhaust manifold gasket, carb insulator, the hot spot gasket that goes between the intake and exhaust manifolds that I couldn't locate anywhere else, water pump gasket, water outlet and thermostat gaskets. 

Also I know that the exhaust manifold gasket from an MG (http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=82219) fits, as does the valve cover gasket (http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=45248) because I also have ordered those parts and they are the right size. 

Since you're thinking of doing some work on your engine, you may want to order a J-series engine head gasket set.  The part number is Victor Reinz HS3597.  When I ordered maybe six months ago they were around $20.  I can't confirm that the J head gasket itself fits the E-1 (though it should) because I haven't done my head gasket, but the set comes with other gaskets you will need that are hard to find like a valve cover gasket, intake/exhaust manifold gasket, carb insulator, the hot spot gasket that goes between the intake and exhaust manifolds that I couldn't locate anywhere else, water pump gasket, water outlet and thermostat gaskets. 

Also I know that the exhaust manifold gasket from an MG (http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=82219) fits, as does the valve cover gasket (http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=45248) because I also have ordered those parts and they are the right size. 

Thanx, Connor. I want to do the lower end also and water pump, clutch stuff, and all the rubber stuff (hoses/belt). She's been converted to spin-on oil filter?? Someone give me some sage advice on leaving the generator or putting an IR alternator. I'm in the 'gather advice & planning stage' fir now. First up is registration & insurance.

Steve

I saw the red battery cable going to the engine block....figured it was still stock.  The factory radio was positive ground and will be a direct short through the antenna connection if left connected when switched to neg ground. 

These guys used to have a lot of J series engine stuff.....   http://www.motorpowerinc.com/

Steve,

Welcome to the 320 crowd.  I was like many others, watching that NL320 on Ebay.  Glad you got it, I think it was a good deal.  If it were me, I would keep it stock including the column shift.  I have a 65 320 with the factory floor shift and like it, but if mine originally came with column I would keep it.  Again, congrats on a nice buy!

Dale - AZ

P.S.  here is mine....

IMG_1311s.jpg