'69 Datsun 510 // some four door love..

Bought it from the original owner with 235,xxx miles as a running and driving car. Originally purchased in Connecticut (had a choice between this and a BMW 2002) and been driven across country to California where it spent it's last 23 years or so in the Bay Area. And probably garaged for the last five years. It is an original color combination. I believe it has one re-spray, maybe one front fender replacement/repair, and one motor rebuild (I hope it's the original motor). Pretty original (from his memory and my little knowledge) and interior is a little worn but it's all there. All the buttons (some knobs missing) and electrical items appears to work except maybe one blinker. A very complete car.

The previous owner happened to be a client of mine and I've waited about 2 years until he was ready to sell. Got a steal on it. It runs and drives.  My first Datsun 510 and have very little knowledge on them. Any input, or weird things that stick out, would be great!! Any websites that can help me buy parts (I really want some interior knobs!) And apparently someone told me I have euro tails? thanks and sorry, I'm a slow responder!

photo-1-2.jpg

photo-1-3.jpg

photo-1-1.jpg

• Like 6
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Erica.

It's so nice to see a survivor these days that has most if not all the original pieces on it. She's beautiful and you are very luck to have found it.

If you have amber turn signals they may be Euro spec lamps. Only the very early Canadian '68s got true Euro spec lamps and the '68 had unique rear lamps to that year. All others years were red but it's very possible yours were imported. Your grill is unique to your year but shares the amber front fender marker lights with the '68. All other years were DOT mandated rectangular red and amber rear and front markers. I really like the 'arrow' style. Like the rims too.

We have a CLASSIFIEDS link near the top of the page... http://community.ratsun.net/classifieds/category/9-body-and-interior/?sort_key=date_added&sort_order=desc if looking for parts.

Nice first post with pictures.

• Like 1

nice car and nice first post WITH PICS ITS A BONUS 

welcome to Ratsun 

69 also it looks nice 

I agree interior and under hood pics would be cool 

there are alot of local Ratsun members near you and many local activities to attend 

in the engine bay there will be a plate with the chassis number and the engine number then on the passenger rear side of the engine block you will see a number stamped, if that number matches the engine number on the plate it is the original motor 

if your rear tail lights have amber blinkers they are considered euro 

front blinkers amber and white combo lens would be euro 

Looks like a very nice car and hope to see it at many local events 

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the tips, info, and positive responses on the car - much appreciated! :D I finally had time to change the fluids in the car (coolant, oil, trans, and diff) and take it for cruise around the Bay Area and got to play around and fiddle with the interior! I was pretty excited about that.. 

I took some quick pictures of the interior (excuse the junk in the car haha). Sure seems tired and could use some TLC. Steering wheel looked like it's been chewed on.. Overtime I hope I can replace the missing interior items (though I think the '69 parts are unique to the year) The stitching on the rear seats are coming undone.. I'm hoping I can pull the cover off and get it re-sewn properly. 

Also fiddling with the interior, I noticed that the seat belts were manufactured from Takata and it still has the original tags on them. Pretty awesome find for me. I would like to get some period correct seat belts and keep these originals ones somewhere safe. So if anyone knows were I can get some or point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it! 

In playing around with the interior, I found tons of paperwork in the glove box and sorted some of it out earlier. Found the original owner's manual (cute drawings on the inside haha) and the original warranty service card!! Everything that's filled out on the inside matches what the original owner told me, which is so awesome!!! 

IMG_0166.JPG

IMG_0148.JPG

IMG_0149.JPG

IMG_0150.JPG

IMG_0161.JPG

IMG_0131.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

Oh and I found the ID tags in the door, and engine bay which are in great condition (still haven't double checked if its a matching number motor). Engine bay could definitely use some cleaning but it seems like it still has a lot of its original clips and details. I'll have to take those pictures another time. And after talking to some other friends of mine, there are some old school stickers on the car.. have to take a pic of those later too.. Hope this post doesn't bore everyone. Haha 

thanks everyone!! have an awesome New Years everyone! 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So... I haven't spent much time with Datsun lately. 

But yesterday at work, I was at the desk doing paper work when a card came in the mail from a client of mine. Very strange, because I never get cards from customers but he's a great customer of mine. A note on the card from the customer and a picture. Interesting I thought.

IMG_0230.JPG

IMG_0228.JPG

IMG_0229.JPG

IMG_0227.JPG

I feel pretty lucky. Don't need to explain who he is. Have a great day everyone! :D

• Like 12

If you are looking to replace your seat belts, first measure the width of your current ones!  My neighbor bought a 510 for his daughter in 1969 as a graduation present.  Years later he got it back when she went on to bigger and more expensive cars.  He wanted to replace the driver's shoulder belt and found out that this car's seat and shoulder belts were a half inch narrower that any replacement ones and of course were NLA from the dealer network.  I think he wound up swapping the driver and passenger shoulder belts but don't know if he had to resew the attach points.  Good luck, looks to be a fine car!

So... I haven't spent much time with Datsun lately. 

But yesterday at work, I was at the desk doing paper work when a card came in the mail from a client of mine. Very strange, because I never get cards from customers but he's a great customer of mine. A note on the card from the customer and a picture. Interesting I thought.

IMG_0230.JPG

IMG_0228.JPG

IMG_0229.JPG

IMG_0227.JPG

I feel pretty lucky. Don't need to explain who he is. Have a great day everyone! :D

thats fucking awesome!!!

• Like 5

Welcome Erika,

Sweet 510 Survivor you found there. Sounds like you will be a great caretaker for it. You don't see them in that condition from the Original owners much anymore. Consider yourself very lucky.

Nice touch from your friend with the gift from Pete Brock. The man is a legend. 

Keep the updates coming.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the warm welcoming and feedback! :D Yes, I feel veryyyy lucky about the car, but I couldn't be more happy with it! I'll try to keep the pictures coming (even though it's probably nothing exciting to see). Like I've said before, any feedback or help will be appreciated.