Does this look like clear coat?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's too much work and they look shitty in a few months. I only cleaned then for the Canby trip. Keeping them waxed will help to seal the oxygen out. Or clear coat.. but rocks will chip it and then you have small oxidized spots and you're back where you started.

Ive been polishing wheels all morning today as well haha

Pretty sure its clear coat, might be wrong but everyyy single SSR wheel (and most others from the same period) I have owed has been the same. It makes polishing them a major pain in the ass as if you miss on tiny section (normally around the bolt holes or near the centre) it will show up like anything.

I gave up on hand polishing my wheels and built a wheel polisher haha, might not be worth it if you're just doing one set, but for me owning 15 pairs of wheels atm and have had more then double that that I have sold it has come in handy! Plus I dont think you can ever get them perfect doing it by hand, they really do need the high speed polishing IMO.

The polisher only cost me about $80 total to build, and is basically a old bench grinder, and fan belt, a old ke70 axle/hub a pulley and a few little bits and pieces. 

here it is-

942165_10152053744211318_703919880_n_zps

Here's how it brings the wheels up though-

My JIlbas I done just now-

Before-

20131111_160406_zps5a93bef5.jpg

After-

20131230_131424_zpsbb909be7.jpg

20131230_131429_zpse5851442.jpg

20131230_131441_zps52ab74b8.jpg

Obviously paint stripped them before polishing and still need to paint the centres.

And my old Star Formulas-

Before-

20131108_203239_zps3195c90a.jpg

After-

1476616_10152096275071318_1759232737_n_z

1483024_10152096275161318_2069853253_n_z

1483345_10152088797101318_1352925018_n_z

1457609_10152096275091318_917255074_n_zp

994635_10152096275271318_416199033_n_zps

As for centre colours its always the hardest choice hey! id probs go with silver too! My Favourite colour on mk3s is the orange/yellowie colour they come in, but on a red car id go silver. Or even a light-medium grey, my other jilbas are currently a medium grey with a hint of silver fleck though it, and I rekon on a red car it could work well. That's if you're planning on having paint mixed and doing them with a gun? or just going the spray can option?

• Like 2

Powder coat I think... But silver flake is an option :) Thanks for the input... Might build one of those on the next set ;)

yeah makes life sooo much easier haha still takes a few hours per wheel but a lot faster then doing it by hand haha

• 2 weeks later...

From one of my posts in the 210 section..  polishing

New to ,me wheels  before and after shot.    and my redneck wheel polisher

0220132123_zps395b46f2.jpg

http://s140.photobuc...zps8327c519.mp4

years ago, like 25 or more I would jack up one side of the rear end of my car. put it on a jack stand. block the front tires just in case.  and spin one wheel at a time  with the car running and in gear  to polish the lips of my wheels. 

This time I did not want the exhaust fumes in my shop. I hooked up an electric motor to the yoke of my extra differential which was sitting on saw horses. Locked up the opposite brake drum ( cant do this with a diff with any kind of posi, locker or what have you).

Started with 320  progressively all the way up to 3000 grit paper.   

From one of my posts in the 210 section.. polishing

New to ,me wheels before and after shot. and my redneck wheel polisher

years ago, like 25 or more I would jack up one side of the rear end of my car. put it on a jack stand. block the front tires just in case. and spin one wheel at a time with the car running and in gear to polish the lips of my wheels.

This time I did not want the exhaust fumes in my shop. I hooked up an electric motor to the yoke of my extra differential which was sitting on saw horses. Locked up the opposite brake drum ( cant do this with a diff with any kind of posi, locker or what have you).

Started with 320 progressively all the way up to 3000 grit paper.

Thanks for the tip :) the reason I'm doing this "the hard way" is because the wheels are not in the best condition. They require quite a bit of detail sanding to not only remove that nasty finish but to also allow me to focus on some nicks and scratches.

Thats a Beauty. Could be a Chrome powdercoat. I'd be tempted to get a polishing attachment for a Grinder, or air gun. Drills are usually too slow for sanity.

Thought about powder coat but I used some very nasty "blue goo" stripper specificity designed to remove powder coat with no luck. This is a professional product my powder coater had and suggested I try... beyond that, I know nothing about the product.

I initially though that rpms would be my friend but it turns out that the polishing wheels didn't like being spun that fast. When I switched to the drill on high, it cut quite well and was much more stable. A little slow but not bad.

I used oven clean over the weekend and it worked for me. I pre heated the over to 200 F then put a wheel in there for about 10-15 min. then popped it out threw the next one in then ran out side and hit it with the oven cleaner. I re applied about 3 times over the course of about 10 min then rinsed and hit it with 320 grit. then back to the over for the next wheel.

prolly a clear funny thing is though tristins didnt have anything on them .. sometimes people used automotive clear to preserve a shine .... u need to send those wheels here i make them pretty ...i want the dr's

theres a dope polisher up here that would make the lips shine too ...... taking him my ssr's soon

wow nevermind i skipped page two they look awesome......i got a nice huge silver flake we could do to ...........i use it under candy colors like my valve cover and stuff.....flickers in the sun ... but i like colors ... reds a tough one your colors are limited that go with it ...

• 1 month later...