Why is my car getting slower and slower?!

Noe510

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my l16 started losing power and sputtering on sunday. so I changed my spark plugs it helped alittle bit but was still sputtering so I cleaned the cap and rotor sputtering was gone but she still wouldn't pull in fourth. I noticed it was running a bit warmer than usual so today I was on my way to see family and had no power and was watching my temperature rise so I pulled over and popped the hood and saw the whole side of the block was wet so im guessing warped head or blown head gasket. didn't see if it was water or oil on the block just took it home parked it and switched cars

Replace the fuel filter. They're cheap, it's easy to do and no harm if it doesn't help.

These cars are not rocket science to work on. Most stuff is a wrench and a screwdriver that even a non mechanic can do. Now if you make  more than a garage charges an hour, read no further. Otherwise making $15 to pay someone $30 an hour for changing a fuel filter is nonsense unless time or weather is a factor. Many mechanics weren't even borne when the car was made and have no practical practice or knowledge working on something so old. You are basically paying them to learn what you could learn to do yourself.

Now you may have lots of money, or lack of time, lack of knowledge or you just want to own and drive an old Datsun and not work on them...and that's fine I totally get that. But if you love old cars as an adventure it can only be fully experienced if you work on them. Little by little you will learn more about them and there is great satisfaction in this. Applying some problem solving skills and putting inanimate parts that don't work together to make them work, and having them drive you down the road is a thrill hard to describe. Please don't take this the wrong way.

• Like 3

These cars are not rocket science to work on. Most stuff is a wrench and a screwdriver that even a non mechanic can do. Now if you make  more than a garage charges an hour, read no further. Otherwise making $15 to pay someone $30 an hour for changing a fuel filter is nonsense unless time or weather is a factor. Many mechanics weren't even borne when the car was made and have no practical practice or knowledge working on something so old. You are basically paying them to learn what you could learn to do yourself.

Now you may have lots of money, or lack of time, lack of knowledge or you just want to own and drive an old Datsun and not work on them...and that's fine I totally get that. But if you love old cars as an adventure it can only be fully experienced if you work on them. Little by little you will learn more about them and there is great satisfaction in this. Applying some problem solving skills and putting inanimate parts that don't work together to make them work, and having them drive you down the road is a thrill hard to describe. Please don't take this the wrong way.

MFW most shops around here charge $112/hr

shit-myself-thumb.jpg

But yes, as Mike said, the whole perk of owning a car like this, is learning everything inside and out over time so you never have to pay a shop to do anything but big deal things like machine work or what not.

get a shop manual, some tools, and go be a Datsun Enthusiast, not just an owner ;)

• Like 3

Well, it may be in the best interests of the vehicle to sell it then. A disinterested owner that doesnt have much interest in the work involved with driving old cars will certainly be stranded many times by it.

Not talkin smack, but if cars and working on them isnt your thing,......

youre-gonna-have-a-bad-time.jpg

• Like 2

New cars.... when they fuck up... you immediately phone the tow truck.Datsuns..... when they fuck up... you immediately fix it or at least you can tell the garage what needs doing.

I agree. One time while I was at work in the French Quarter in New Orleans, during my lunch break I went to my car on Rampart St. To check the tork on the head bolts. And you should always keep some spare fuel filters with you. Someone stuffed some chicken bones down my tank ( on Rampart St.) One time as well and every so often the car would shut down. I just got out and changed the filter and off I would go, a locking gas cap stopped people putting anything in there anymore.

I agree. One time while I was at work in the French Quarter in New Orleans, during my lunch break I went to my car on Rampart St. To check the tork on the head bolts. And you should always keep some spare fuel filters with you. Someone stuffed some chicken bones down my tank ( on Rampart St.) One time as well and every so often the car would shut down. I just got out and changed the filter and off I would go, a locking gas cap stopped people putting anything in there anymore.

Sorry.  Anyone who spells torque T-O-R-K doesn't get to give another person a hard time about not learning.  :rofl: