90 amp alternator for a Z

grannyknot

I been lurking for a while now but started reading this thread today,

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/69-90-amp-bolt-in-alternator-on-an-l-series-motor/

Most of the guys in this thread seem to have Datsun P/U's but wondering if any of the Z members

here have found that the 90's Saturn alternator worked for them, or is it just the wrong size?

Thanks,

Chris

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Saturn alt. is perfect for the truck because it's small and fits the truck application where there is little room above the idler arm. This won't be a problem on the Z car or any other Datsun car. I put an S13 90 amp alternator in my 710 sedan and a newer '02 Altima 100 amp alternator in my 710 goon. Room was not a problem. 

Hybridz is down at the moment, but do a search on the CS130/CS144 swap once it's up.  It's a GM alternator that puts out 90 amps at idle and up to 140 amps at around 2000 rpm.  It is quite easy to install and fits perfectly, though there are some minor modifications that are required.

What's really nice about the swap is that you can buy the alternators all day long at any parts store.