• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first V8 I bought was a new '70 muscle car and although mileage wasn't that big a deal, it did get 18 on average and turned 14.20 E.T.s. Now I want mileage. If I had a lighter Datto car I would want more of both.

• Like 1

I'm not a V8 fan but most of the bad gas milage is due to the weight of SUV's I wouldn't mind Redeye driving a new v8 car, I bet it gets as good milage as Holly Mercedes. If you triple the weight of an average car and leave a 4 banger in there I'm sure the mileage would still suck. I still think the EVO is sweet, but how fun would cars be if everyone had the same taste as me :D

• Like 1

Remember when GM stuck V6's in Caprices and other full-size vehicles? Or, heck, they still do in full-size trucks.

They got worse real-world mileage than the V-8. They only time they got better mileage was in gridlock traffic or on FLAT extended runs at 55MPH.

My '85 Mercury Colony Park (RIP) had a 5.0L and got 20MPG, pretty much under any condition. Not bad for an 18 1/2 foot long, 3 ton plus Station Wagon, but it did have fuel injection and overdrive. That was better mileage than my Mom's '73 620, which NEVER got better than 18MPG due to the 4.88 gearing.

• Like 1

We had lots of V6 Caprices up here with 3 speed floor shifts. They were called an Iraqi taxi.

"General Motors also produced a special order of Malibu sedans in 1981 for the Iraqi government, although the order was ultimately rejected, reportedly due to the inability of the local drivers to shift a manual transmission. These "Iraqi Taxi" Malibus were auctioned off to the public at a greatly reduced price, since they carried the unusual combination of the smallest V6 engine with a 3-speed manual transmission. They were mostly sold around the Halifax, Nova Scotia area, as well as Toronto, and later acquired a 'celebrity' status."

I lived in the Oshawa GM plant area in '81 and heard lots of urban legends about this. Supposedly there was minimal pollution controls on them and you had to pay to get them equipped for use on NA roads. But they were available to the public and were cheap, even with the up-grades installed.

• Like 1

Well, a Malibu wasn't a Caprice- Malibus were the mid-size "A" body whereas the Caprice was the fullsize "B" body. Still, a very heavy car for a V-6 (though the 3rd gen was a lot smaller than the 2nd gen).

But that info on the "Iraqi Taxi" is pretty interesting, and by seeing all the ads for them yep they sure did have a cult following. V-6, 3-speed floorshift and A/C.

• Like 1

They were a great source for bellhousings to convert 305s into 3 speed stock cars. Pretty much used up around here. I got a housing, flywheel and clutch from one of these taxis, for a possible V6 swap that didn't happen. Should get rid of it.

• Like 1
  • 9 years later...