Clutch replaced now wont turn over

daegodog

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the ignition switch turn things like the wipers or heater fan on when turned to the ON position?

NO...... Battery post(s) are loose or not making connection. Ground cable to intake is not making contact. Green fusible link is burned out or loose connections at positive battery terminal.

YES.... see next below

Is there a clicking sound when key turned to START?

No..... remove and reconnect the Black/Red wire to the starter solenoid, it may be loose or just bad contact.

YES... Solenoid is working.

Remove and reconnect the positive cable to the starter lug. Possibly loose or bad connection.

• Like 1

If it tries to crank but can't... could also be the input shaft bushing being bound up/super tight. I've had that happen before, even if you push the clutch in it still won't turn over.

BUT if you put it in Neutral, it should fire just fine with the clutch in.

Most likely not the case but something to think about. If it is, once you get going it only takes a few seconds of running for the bushing to wear-in and not keep a hold of the input shaft.
For this reason I always clean the tip of the input shaft really well and give it a light skim coat of grease, and I take a dremel tool to the inside of the bushing with a felt bob and give it a quick buff. Also helps tremendously with installation too ;)

Is there a clicking sound when key turned to START?

No..... remove and reconnect the Black/Red wire to the starter solenoid, it may be loose or just bad contact.

YES... Solenoid is working.

Remove and reconnect the positive cable to the starter lug. Possibly loose or bad connection.

This was it. I checked it all then removed the starter and checked all the connections and it fired right up. Thank you all for the help.

On the early 2wd ones the 4 speed was standard with the L20B and Z22 up to Oct '82. The 5 speed was optional though. All Heavy Duty or Cab Chassis options were only available with a 4 speed

On all 4x4s the 4 speed was standard equipment except on the King Cab, on all L20B and Z22s through Oct '82 and for another 2 months with the new Z24 engine till mid model year in December '82. I can only assume that the 5 speed was optional.