Why would a 510 4 speed stop without making a sound?

edekalil

It used to be in my wagon way back when one day I drove it 100 miles to work as always, parked it and it would not go in gear. The shifter went lemp. Fast forward a few months ago I thought I had figured the lever that controlled the shift forks had slipped out of position. I had popped off the tail of the trans and re positioned the lever to control the forks and it felt normal again. After installing it in a sedan I thought it was ok, but no it is not, when I put the trans in gear and let out the clutch nothing. The clutch and pressure plate is all fine. I have never had a trans ever do this no noise at all. Is there something that could have sheered inside the trans causing it not to work if in gear? Not sure what's up. It is the same 4 speed that's in the Hayens manual.

• Like 1
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So this was a problem when used on two different clutch and pressure plate assys? If so then not likely the clutch.

If none of the gears work then unlikely that all the shift fork roll pins have failed.

This leaves the striking rod. It's the rod sticking out of the tail that the shift lever rotates and pushes in and out to select the internal shift rods. The internal end has a finger held on with a roll pin. If the pin fell out or sheared off the finger won't transmit the movement of the striking rod. Visually it may look alright or it may have fallen off the end of the shaft.

I would be checking the clutch slave cylinder for proper movement.

If the master or slave had failed the clutch would be engaged at all times. If engaged, it would be like trying to shift into gear without using the clutch pedal... it would grind and/or not go into gear. Reverse would grind terribly.

• Like 1

Yeah. If it was 1st/2ng not working it may be a shift rod or fork. But if all gears are missing, it's likely the striking rod or something between the shifter and the shift rods.

I asked about the two different clutches because on a diesel Fiat once, I tore the center out of the clutch disc. There was no connection between the clutch disc and the spline connecting it to the input shaft. That was weird. Clutch in or out there was no drive in any gear.

Well I plan to look at the pedal adj and the slave adj before I do any thing drastic. I never took the trans lose from the motor when I had it out. I guess that was a big mistake. That old lady used to tell me when I was little Hast makes Waste! An old fella friend who is a MG fanatic said the only thing he could think was the main drive could have broke but he doubted that. Datzenmike I like your take on the clutch splines being sheered. I did not put in the last clutch, I had to have a shop do it because I was out of town working ( I hate to have other people do work on my car, at least work I can do). The only thing was that it makes no sound when running and putting it in any gear and letting out the clutch. Anyway I will find out here in hopefully the near future. I do have a 4 speed on the floor that grinded going into second gear, synchro issues. If I can find someone who can fix that issue then I can use it or just use it as is. Then the truth will come out on what is really the issue. I guess what I need to do is find a person who knows how to work on manual transmissions. There must be someone the New Orleans area. I have to say it is strange about the shifter, like I say when the wagon (this was in way back) was parked for some reason the shifter went totally lemp. So fast forward a few months ago I popped the tail of the trans off (thinking the lever at the end had sheered the pin that holds it on leaving it in a lemp state, not able to go in any gear). To my surprise the lever at the end was fine, I made sure it was back in place to engage the shifter fork levers. Closed it up and whala the shifter felt normal again. You could feel it just like when a car is stopped not on putting it in any gear, you felt it go in and out. I do not know what would let the shift lever go out of position for no reason. Well I guess it will all be sorted out when I get it out and look at it down the road hopefully sooner than later. Thanks for the input.