Idaho Escapade, Datsun Wanted

Okay, here's what I have going on... On Sept. 24th I have a flight itinerary to show up in Boise, ID at 11pm. Long story short, my aunt is moving back to TN to be closer to family and needs company for the drive, 2170miles....:unsure:

I asked to see what the possibility of me picking up a Datsun and driving back with her in a separate car and she said it was fine, so.... I've been on Craigslist like a madman to find me a 510 wagon that will make it back. I'm probably an idiot but if push comes to shove I can uhaul it back. We're not going to "black dog" it, but spread it over 3-4+ days, do some sight seeing, since I've never been in the NW territory.

Here is one possibility: http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/793040894.html

I've been emailing her and she says: runs'n drives great, "OH MY HELL!! ARE YOU SERIOUS? I AM A GIRL AND I KNOW THAT YOU CANT GET IN A 39 YTEAR OLD CAR EVEN A DATSUN (YES THEY ARE THE BEST CAR EVER) AND DRIVE IT 2200 MILES EVEN IF IT IS REBUILT FROM THE FRAME UP."

We will be lucky to get 600miles a day, I understand the car is a classic, but it's not like I'm gonna be racing the car back.

She goes on to say, "I DONT THINK YOU ARE OLD ENOUGHT TO TAKE ON THE RESPONSIBLITY THAT COMES WITH THESE CARS.GO GET YOURSELF A NICE HONDA ,YOU CAN MAKE IT LIKE THE ONES IN MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! VROOM VROOOM. GOOD LUCK"

If she is part of this forum, sorry. It's easier to do and ask for forgiveness than to ask for forgiveness first.:P:p

Honestly, I don't know. Maybe it is too far for a 39yo car? I'm willing to accept the challenge...

In the end I know I'm probably come up empty handed and end up riding with my aunt listening to Billy Idol the whooole way....sigh.... But I'll put some of the good ole effort into it and see if I can bring some of the goon tradition to TN!!

I'm hoping for some insight and maybe a couple leads?!:):)

Thanks!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

damn that sucks.

She seems to have an ad on the portland craigslist that is just a giant block of babbling all in caps. Some how I doubt she's going to ever sell that wagon. :rolleyes:

I'd sell you mine but the progress so far has been very slow and some how I doubt it'd make it to where you are going but this wagon seems to be a fighter. Doesn't need much but would be cheaper than her wagon.

Hang_510: Well I sent her an email back with a small piece of my mind, hehe. I just think it's funny she gets done telling me is drives and runs great! and then, oh wth it would never make it... haha worse than John Kerry.... Who knows, like I said, I will probably come back empty handed, but I'm gonna make a run at it! I have a list of things that I need to make sure are in tip top condition to make the trip.

Gensaiken: Man, I honestly don't think I can talk my aunt into an extra 10hr trip to Ashland, I think that would make my trip over 3k miles... If it was just me, it would be another story. I really hope I come back with a wagon though. We'll see, Thanks for offering though:)

Love me hate me, give me some pointers. I've never done this type of thing before and I really don't want to be hoodoo'd.

I think you can do that... my wagon could definitely make the trip. Everything works perfectly and i was getting 30mpg too :)

depends on the car of course, but my wagon is just as old LOL

Thanks guys, I was starting to mark up a zero for the trip.. I mean 600miles a day is feasible right? There are going to be plenty of pit stops for gas, food, bathroom, etc. I believe that would be plenty of times checking on the engine in one day. ie: for one day, 1-2 stops + stopping for historical/cool looking things, at least 2 tanks of gas. If it can't do that kind of driving, to me, it doesn't run or drive good... Maybe I'm wrong, that's okay wouldn't be the first time.

I mapped out my trip on google maps and searched on craigshelper for all the places I'd be passing through and found two, but the ads don't say whether they run or drive... So I think I'm gonna be banking on the further West I am the better my chances are.

I have approximately a month. My fingers are crossed!

Where you located Lex?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I thought I would bump this up a few days before my big trip out to Idaho.

Unfortunately, badnews...

I never found anything feasible enough to pursue so I'm 99% sure I'll just be sight seeing! Going to be a blast regardless!

Gonna take a lot of pictures, with me in them this time... especially if I see a good lookin datsun!:P

Lots of connections = cheaper flight, boy did she go all out, lol.

Departs: 4:21 PM

Bristol, TN to:

Charlotte, NC to:

Phoenix, AZ to:

Boise, ID

Arrives: 11:19 PM

Here's the unofficial track back via Googlemaps:

Idaho to Tennessee

Keep lookin for Dattos! Maybe one will pop up. As for drivin an old Datto across country, it will be fun! Especially if you have someone in another vehicle along with you in case something does happen. A piece of mind:D

Oh Yeah, BILLY IDOL FUCKIN ROCKS!:fu:

Anyone have any suggestions on some good places to stop or sight see? I leave out tomorrow at 3pm, bags packed, Ipod loaded to the brim, camera charged, ready to ride/fly/drive! :D:D:D

I'm gonna look around online and see if I can find any "must see" items, turns out we are going up to hit I-90E at Missoula, ID.

Woo Hoo I'm stoked! It's all I've been thinking about for the past week, getting away from here for a while!!!!

Well, I spent last night watching Oregon State kicking #1 USC ass!!

Was a pretty good game.

Today went up into Ontario, Oregon. Was pretty awesome, I stopped in at a couple collectible car places and took some pictures/drooled.... stopped in at some local fruit stand in Nyssa and a couple places in Parma, ID then back to Boise! I'm having a blast! I've seen lots of mini trucks, several datsuns. There are a lot of badass old cars here! I'm so jealous of the climate...

why dont you just jump out of the moving vehicle and disappear into the wilderness.. start your own life in oregon an get a datsun! hahah im kidding... sounds fun tho eh? it pisses me off when im NOT drivin my truck.. cause i'll see 2-3 datsuns.. then when i am drivin my truck i dont see any!! WTF?

ok the chick needs to get a grip my car started out as a michigan car its not in cali and it wasent shipped (i have the pitted windsheld as proof:D)it should have made it and if it didnt it seemed like you were ready with a backup plan

I would love to live here! Spent most of this evening on main street in boise, id. Some pretty good suds and spuds, lol... It would have been pretty cool to have met up with some avid west coast ratsun members, but I know most everyone is right near the coast! That's okay... Going up to McCall tomorrow to see the Salmon spawning. going to be great!!! Had to go to nastybuy and get a battery charger for my camera.... dumbass forgot it!!! but it will be good use for my parents will be going to Germany to see my brother and it is European capable, so thumbs up bestbuy today.....