cant get any pedal on my brakes..

1lo620

Ok.. first back story.. I took my truck to my mechanic last a few weeks to have some work done. One of the problems was no front brakes. I had rear brakes but no front. So he said probably master cylinder was bad. So he replaced it "supposedly" I was driving home the other day went to exit off freeway and no brakes. Thank god for e brake. Tried to call mechanic no luck, so decided to just replace master cylinder and be done with it. I told the story to the guy at Auto parts store, and he asked if it had been bench bled before installing meaning master cylinder.. I assumed it had, but not sure. So he suggested try bleeding the brakes before replacing master cylinder. I ttried that for about an hour and plus, went through about a big bottle of brake fluid.  Still no pedal, and before all this, I had at least rear brakes, but nothing now..

So I guess what I am looking for is some possible advice.. Should I just change the master cylinder and try to bleed them again. And just what exactly is bench bleeding?  Sorry I am not the most efficient or knowledgeable mechanic.. any advice or help would be nice. This is my driver and I need it back on the road.. 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait so you replaced the master cylinder already? Are you leaking fluid anywhere? How about your brake cylinders in the drums, are they in good condition? Bench bleeding is easy, it shouldnt take more than 5 minutes and a cup of fluid. What was your method? All you had to do was route a line from the bleeder of the master to the reservoirs. You're also supposed to bleed the whole brake system after installing the Master. I do fronts first and then rears. Its easier if you have two people. Pump the brakes about 20 times initially after master install, have someone hold the brake pedal down then relieve pressure from the bleeder screws at the drums, until a smooth stream comes out. Repeat for back.

Are your shoes in good condition? You've got to check other possible issues before you rule one out. It might seem like a bad Master but in reality it might even be a bad wheel clyinder, or even a cracked line. 

I will deal with the mechanic when we gets ahold of me. But he is an hour away and he I works out of his house. So I will deal with that..

I just need to know if it is just master cylinder or, brake booster.. I don't think it is cylinders. I replaced them not to long ago. But I will check them also.. and I cant seem to find any leeks... I am puzzled.. Just need to get truck back on the road.. !!