510 Wagon parking brake advice please

Eriks

I purchased a new parking brake wire on Ebay for my Wagon. According to the seller the wagon use the same wire as the sedan. However when installing the wire I see it is too short, maybe a foot or so. When looking under a sedan I see that the sedan wire is indeed shorter, but when trying to find the correct wire for the wagon I find nothing on the web. Have anybody here experienced the same problem? If so, maybe you figured out where to find a cable?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the same ship for about 8 years now...  I'm guessing your tension adjuster is maxed out and there is not more threads to tighten right?  I've been tempted to just throw in a steel cable clamp and loop the cable through it to take up some length.  With the tension set fully loose, it would give you enough slack to play with possibly.  But I've not done this because it seemed like a really shortsighted solution to a problem.  But as a result, I have no/weak parking brake.  

I'm watching for a better solution as well.  

I think his OG cable likely stretched over time and he is trying to replace it.  That is certainly my issue.  If I traded with him, I'd have a cable that is too short, and he would have one that is too long.  I prefer my situation.  \

Mike, I've grown to expect more from your posts.  When I saw that you responded I was hopeful for a known solution.  I feel so let down...

:lol: :lol:

Well before I did I had a look at the cables and there are some differences in the part numbers for sure and the pictures are for sure different lengths too. I even looked at the early 610 that had the dash hand brake before the center pull.

You guys might try contacting Bruin Brake Cable. They will make custom stuff to your specs if they don't have the specs already.

Thanks all, I'm starting to think that custom made is the way to go. Another possible idea is to extend the sedan cable.

I used an ebrake assembly from a B210 sedan for my goon. It is mounted between the seats on the tunnel.  I am not sure if this will work for the stock set up as I have a rear end out of a 200sx.

My 2 cents worth.

Thanks all, I'm starting to think that custom made is the way to go. Another possible idea is to extend the sedan cable.

Ive been making firearm retention cables recently for transporting guns in cars here in upside down land.

I'm putting loops in the ends and then joining the loop to the cable with copper swages and about 3 Aussie tonnes of hydraulic clamping pressure.

Havent done a shear test on them yet though im guessing if you extended the cable using hydraulically clamped swages, it would work.

Dont know if this makes sense?

Im going to use the above joining method when I fit the IRS to my Goon (the original cable has had the bejeebus stretched out of it)