Another 620 for Jester

Jester

No. I'm good with the head. I said it was good. If I had noticed the cam shims I might have said no. Oh well.

Ya, a header.  :rolleyes:

I'm sitting with a '79 round port exhaust manifold. Something about a round hole and a square peg. After that much work on the head I hate to shoot myself in the foot on the exhaust.

• Like 1
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. I'm good with the head. I said it was good. If I had noticed the cam shims I might have said no. Oh well.

I'm sitting with a '79 round port exhaust manifold. Something about a round hole and a square peg. After that much work on the head I hate to shoot myself in the foot on the exhaust.

i will see what i can do  !

• Like 1

You don't want to use a round port exhaust manifold on a square port head, it works the other way fine for a while(round port head/square port exhaust), but I have only heard about leaks with what you have.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Sorry guys, I really suck at updates. I love reading about what you are all doing and just don't take the time to keep mine updated. 

The truck has been running for a while now and seems to be doing pretty good. The Redline regrind cam I went with is pretty noisy. Even with the lash set at .006! If you want a bumpy cam, spend the money and get a good one.

Anyway, here are some pics of what I have been up to.

Picked up a square port exhaust manifold form DenmarkBoy and started "cleaning". 

20141221_181900_zpsgbt3ffre.jpg

Opposite ends, but, you get the idea of what is going on here.

Before:

20141221_154118_zpstxcxpvr9.jpg

After:

20141221_154204_zpsfkoort1j.jpg

20141221_154103_zpsiijusio0.jpg

Found this nice little pocket of air.  :rofl:

20141221_160640_zpsj4vgosu7.jpg

Decided to make a new exhaust flange but made it exactly like the L16 one. Oops. :blush:

20150324_224208_zps57nxcguo.jpg

20150324_224949_zpsbgwmtyvs.jpg

20150324_225001_zpssxcacvvi.jpg

20150324_225131_zpsulbqlm5m.jpg

Installed an electric fan from who knows what. It now resides on the front of the radiator. This is going to be replaced by something else when I get my Volvo radiator like my old truck. This one works OK, I just want to be able to put a shroud on to make it more effective when the weather heats up. 

20141218_191018_zpsth06c2ak.jpg

At some point this truck received a new front clip. Whoever did it did a shitty job. They just laid one right on top of the other.

20141101_100602_zpsqpqmjkgq.jpg

20141101_100545_zps5at21bgm.jpg

Anyway. Hope yo enjoy the pics. I'll try to do a better job in the future of keeping this up to date. 

• Like 3

Thank you sir. I wish I would have made it a little longer. Oh well, I was thinking today, maybe I'll cut it down short and have the head pipe come up between the engine and frame just like the later 620 with the single outlet. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

With the Canby truck gone I have been getting a few little things on the truck fixed and/or working. Finally figured out what the hell was wrong with my dome light. It would work if you reached up and turned it on but nothing through the door pins. Tracked that one down to a loose connection at the light assembly. So nice to have that working. 

I also cut the f#cking bed hooks off. I hate those damn things. I tear more hoodies and shorts pockets on those sobs! GONE!!!! 

I need to pull the intake off and have it faced. I never had it done when I had the adapter welded on. I cross filled the base of the adapter afterwards just to check for straightness. Totally spaced off doing the mounting areas. Oh ya, she leaks coolant. Which means it's probably ingesting some too. 

I'll post up some pics when photobucket decided to talk to my phone again. 

• Like 3

Nice to here you guys are getting back to your rigs . Jester skipped a lot of Saturday's on the Canby truck.

Hey jester you going camping with us ? http://community.ratsun.net/topic/66791-datslocos-fun-runcampout/

You know I never seem to catch my pockets on the 4x4 for some reason :lol:

I bet you have a couple of cLose calls with your head thou !
  • Like 1

I like this look a lot better. 

20150630_180215_zpsxtwgjf0q.jpg

I was pretty happy to watch my temp gauge not move at all while I waited for my ice cream cone. I did take a reading with my temp gun and it is doing a great job of keeping it around 180*. I need to figure out the adjustments on the back of the gauges. 

20150702_193513_zpsb0diexfc.jpg

• Like 4

I guess. There are two slots on the back of the temp and fuel gauges to adjust where you want the high and low to be. Denmarkboy showed me that one.

Brohemius; no, it's still the shitty old one. I have a perfect one hanging in the garage with a radio delete plate in it.  :D

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Decided to make another trip the Pick a part looking for a 720 KC carpet kit to cut down for my 620. Only found one that had black carpet and it was F#CKING NASTY! I did however score these off of it though.

20150822_181024_zpselce6gxx.jpg

Then I went to the Turner Pick a part to see what they had for carpet kits. Not a damn one. Although, I did score this off of a 1990 S10.

20150822_170124_zps9opamwt0.jpg

Next on the hit list for a safe travels to Shasta for me and Momma was some new shoes for the truck. Found a nice set of 15x8 rallies. Took them with me to work and borrowed my customers blast cabinet for a couple hours after work.

20150824_190127_zpsbrxxdqva.jpg

Once home I made up a bucket of soapy water and proceeded to give them a bath to get all the sand residue off.

20150824_191804_zpscqvransk.jpg

I used Rustoleum filler primer followed by two coats of Rustoleum Matte Nickle. No pic of the finished wheel. By the time the paint was dry, it was too dark for a good pic. I'll post a couple up tomorrow when I get back from work with my new tires. Going with Kumho Ecsta AST's 225-50-15. I can hardly wait!

• Like 5

Oh ya, it's also getting new front brake lines and some 4X4 720 leaves tomorrow. There is no way I am going to drive this truck for 5 hours with my current rear spring setup. Flipping the spring pack looks cool but rides like a tank. I'll take some measurement and pics while my son and I swap them out. 

• Like 2