Another 620 for Jester

Jester

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really an update, just don't want you guys thinking I'm slacking.......too bad.

20131208_104003_zpszqarehdg.jpg

Stripped dash insert to get harness out for repair

20131208_104026_zpsguxqdkft.jpg

Harness all cleaned up and ready for install.

20131208_104421_zpstwog2pmh.jpg

A little rust here and there, nothing too major though. Floor are still good just need a good cleaning.

20131208_104208_zpsahnbseuo.jpg

Bed and doors will need a little more work

20131208_104340_zpsjlkyfpmj.jpg

20131208_104349_zps4ervyuoi.jpg

I may try to get the harness back in later today after church. We'll see. Starting to not feel so good and the family wants to put up the tree today.

• Like 1

Cool. What's wrong with the top half? Mirror holes?

Finally got the topper off and cleaned all the crap out of the back. Inside the bed looks really good accept the back wall. A little surface rust at the bottom.

Also got the harness back in and fired it up today. 

20131209_133959_zpsihtojpnw.jpg

• Like 2

Started looking into all the exterior lights to who see was working and needed help. All but two where fine. This one needed more than just a bulb change.

20131210_160450_zps5wcjvdoc.jpg

A wire type battery terminal cleaner works great for getting most of the rust out of bulb sockets. :thumbup:

20131210_160511_zpsxe46x2gu.jpg

20131210_160610_zpsk0lonfth.jpg

Is Monk still on here. I might need some stripping done.  B)

I havent seen Monk on here in a long time. He sold his Datsun about the same time I sold mine. I have his number though, if you end up needing it.

Not really an update, just don't want you guys thinking I'm slacking.......too bad.

Harness all cleaned up and ready for install.

20131208_104421_zpstwog2pmh.jpg

What are all of those green pieces of tape for? Can't remember where stuff goes... :poke: . You must be getting oooooold.

• 2 weeks later...

Spent most of today working on the truck. It was not wanting to run on all 4 cylinders for some reason. Compression test came back great! Even put each piston at TDC to check for leaks. Nothing. Started looking at the plugs and the back two seamed very wet and black. Cleaned the plugs and tried it again with no change. Sitting there staring at the back of the intake and I noticed the PO had hooked the crank case vent into a T at the hole where the power brake booster goes. Changed that, adjusted the carb and now she runs AWESOME! About 1 3/4 turn out. Perfect.

Also pulled the seats and carpet out to get a better look at the floor board. I have one small rust hole that will need to be fixed at the passenger side. I started looking at all the seam sealer that is pulled up around the passenger side, back of cab in the right rear corner and also found that they did not seam seal the entire left side where the firewall meats the windshield cowl. Right side was done but not the left. Found some spots up under the ends of the dash that are looking like leak spots as well. Looks like I need to redo some seam sealer on this cab pretty soon. I don't want any water in there when I comes time for new interior. 

And I found the reason the water was getting in there in the first place. The roof joint at the windshield is cracked and needs some of 510 Keepers "special blend" sealer for the roof joint. Pretty sure he posted the mixture in one of his paint threads. Shouldn't be to hard to find. :confused:

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I just couldn't take the very worn out 720 crushed mouse fir seats any longer. My daughter and I went to the local pick a part yesterday and found a good set of donor seats out of a Del Sol for $25 each.

Mmmmmmm.............LEATHER!

20140125_161645_zpsd57brrt9.jpg

I do have a question. Two or three times the charge light on the dash had flickered and eventually stayed off. I checked the alt belt and found it to be very loose. Twice now I have had to jump start my truck. The first time, I had left my lights on for about 10 minutes. I knew the battery that was in the truck when I got it was old and needed to be replaced.  So I did. About a week after, I needed to be jumped again.  :mad:

Now, my choke relay is buzzing like crazy. I searched here and found an article in the electrical section were Mike stated that a choke relay in a 720 will buzz if the alt is failing. Does anyone know if this is true to the 620 as well?

Thanks

Jester

• Like 2

Now, my choke relay is buzzing like crazy. I searched here and found an article in the electrical section were Mike stated that a choke relay in a 720 will buzz if the alt is failing. Does anyone know if this is true to the 620 as well?

Thanks

Jester

Jes, you do realize that VG's don't have choke relays, don't you? :poke:

Sorry, i had too. :rofl:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, between the 12" of snow, with a layer of freezing rain on top and me too pussy to go to the W/R today to gather my parts, I thought I would share what I am about to accomplish. 

I am about to acquire a (possibly) free VG30 that is currently in a '91 Maxima. It will be going to scrap when I am done so I have access to the computer, wiring, electric fans and whatever the hell I want or think I may need from it. Plans for it are to acquire another truck as a test bed. I want to do as Jason did and have it ready to install BEFORE I even pull mine out. (Hopefully I won't have to move in the middle of it).  :poke:

Before it goes in, it WILL be swapped to five lug using 300ZX hubs machined to accept D21/720 bearings and seals. Planning on custom upper control arms so I can run coilovers. I DO NOT want to mess  around with torsion bars being in the way. Rearend will be a Ford 8.8, disk brake, 373's and factory LSD obviously cut down to match the track width of the front after it is done.

If there is anyone running coilovers on their truck, I would like to hear what spring rates you have tried or have found to be a winner. Hopefully Bob and Luke will chime in with some expertise in this area. Just thinking I need to go back to Jason's build thread and see what the weight difference was. Should be able to use that as a baseline. 

Don't expect this to go very fast. As much as I want it to be done NOW, It will be done right!

• Like 1

Yeeha, the VG I found is in a maxima sitting in a field since 05. A tree fell in it and it got parked. I told the owner I would take what I wanted and the rest would go to scrap. Then I would give him the check for the scrap value. He said Hell Ya! So as soon as I can get it out, I will be pulling mydonor engine and associated parts.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Today I decided to de arch the rear leafs getting my 3" of altitude adjustment. Turned the torsion bars down to 2". I think I'll re index the torsion bars to bring it down another inch. Really don't care for the ride now. I need to find my 720 springs. Maybe next weekend while the wife is gone I get some shopping done.

Before

20140322_134708_zpshrg3uljf.jpg

After

20140322_185428_zpsy6px3c7c.jpg

• Like 3