Stereo systems in your 521

dainja97

I have been looking around everywhere trying to find a way to put stereos in my 521 without disrupting the classic look please post pics of your 521 headunits, speakers, where you have hid them. thank you!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"I posted this on 7 Oct 2010, still applies

Go to a local swap meet and look for early Radio Shack units, usually AM/FM with a built-in speaker on top [which says no FM Stereo]. They have proper shaft spacing and location to fit factory dashes when the Radio Delete plate is removed. The 520, 521, 410 and 411 didn't really have provision for external speakers. Some of these early Radio Shack units did have connections for external speakers but as might be expected don't think of shaking the sheet metal with them. "

Also JC Whitney had a "Universal" unit that individually placed On/Off, Tuning and Display units that mounted in any dash since they were separate modules.  The main electronics box could be mounted in the dash of anywhere in the vehicle.  I posted the info on the "universal" unit many moons ago, maybe "search" could resurect it, I don't need it so I leave any search to your discretion or desire.

There is not a lot of options in a 521, not a lot of space.

I have mounted 6x9 speakers in the lower front part of the door, requires cutting a hole in the door.  you may need to space the speaker away from the door panel, if the speaker magnet hits the door skin.

If you take out the bench seat, you can use a sheet of plywood, just above the transmission tunnel to mount bucket seats on.  This gives You the option of putting speakers behind the bucket seats, firing up.  You could also mount speakers on the front of the bucket seat support, using the cavity under the seat base for the "box" of the speaker.

Putting an expensive head unit in the dash is inviting to thieves.  A locked door just means broken glass.  Maybe leave the stock radio, or delete plate in the dash, and put the head unit in the glove box area, behind the closed door, so it is not as obvious you have the expensive head unit in there.

The good news, because the cab is so small, you do not need a lot of power to get it loud in the cab.

My way. Sorry for the huge pictures but not sure how to resize with the new imageshack.

Anyway, going to redo the whole system one more time. Going to change the faces on these and go to 6.5 separates and put one or two 8" bass boxes under the seat. No cut doors and everything still functions. One problem I have is getting the package tray to work, but I'll figure it out. I might also put some highs in the corner of the cab to get some spacial tones. Going to run the new Alpine amps to save space.

The head unit will be factory 521 with Bluetooth & aux function, likely in mono.

nxbv.jpg

4o4s.jpg

• Like 1
  • 6 years later...
On 11/27/2013 at 6:37 PM, wayno said:

I put a console in and install the stereo in it, and all my doors were cut so far for speakers, I did not cut them, so your going to have to get inventive for the speakers, maybe under the dash, half way under the dash, tuck them up there.

DSCN0753.JPG

Where did the console come from?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, fryanbacon said:

Where did the console come from?

That is a Datsun/Nissan 720 console, they come in different lengths, even though it does not look like it that console is from a 720 with a longshaft 5spd in it that has a coin tray in front of the shifter hole, they made them without a coin tray in the 1985+ regular cab/sort box trucks, they made them in black, blue, and tan.

• Like 1

I have a blue 720 console up on eBay now.  They are what I call "real plastic", like an old AMT Revell etc model, that CAN be easily prepped & painted to suit your needs (newer cars are polypropylene plastic, which paint does not adhere to long term). 

TJ

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...