Shipping a truck from Texas to Calif.

So good news bad news situation. Good news I can get my old 521 back as long as I pick it up. The bad news it is currently about an hour west of Houston. I live in Sacramento. The truck runs but seems to be having some carb/fuel problems so I'm not sure I would trust it with a 2,000 mile drive. My Dad mostly thinks it is the rain/humidity causing problems with water in the fuel. Has an L20b and dogleg 5spd. I can't imagine driving it back would actually be much cheaper, so I'm thinking shipping companies.

Anyone use a shipping company they like? I've looked at a couple; Uship being one. Cost seems about 850-900$. Anyone know of a better source or have a better idea, or know someone hauling a trailer out that way? It's at my Dad's place so no real hurry.

Anyone have any suggestions? Or a car shipper you liked? I've never shipped a vehicle before so I'm not really sure how to go about this.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a very long time 10+ years since I had a vehicle moved.

Most of the online services I believe are dispatchers that gather job's and place them with truckers.

I used Hotshot express / Jones motor group to move my broken box van from phoenix to the bay area in Ca.

as a gauge to see if it's worth it, If you were towing it yourself it's a 2000 mile trip one way, a pickup truck & trailer would use about 166 gallons of fuel  x $4.00 a gallon = $666.00

So to me 850 would be a bargain.

Most of the online services I believe are dispatchers that gather job's and place them with truckers.

I used Hotshot express / Jones motor group to move my broken box van from phoenix to the bay area in Ca.

as a gauge to see if it's worth it, If you were towing it yourself it's a 2000 mile trip one way, a pickup truck & trailer would use about 166 gallons of fuel  x $4.00 a gallon = $666.00

Your total is $666. That's a bad sign. Find a shipping co.

No offense to your Dad,but he's off base on his diagnosis.Tejas is humid but not that humid.

No offense taken, that was my thought too. I believe it is just worn out/POS carb Hitachi.

Ok, that was what I was seeing. Yeah, $850 didn't seem that bad, compared to gas, motel, and plane ticket. I just wanted some advice before I spent the money.