72 datsun 1200

derek316

gotta a chance to buy a 72 1200 coupe , car has not been licensed since 1977 , and has been in storage since 2006 . 

only seen a few pics of it , no interior except for dash and headliner , shifter missing and motor looks bad ( dont know if it runs or not )  body looks rough .  So whats a good price on it . 

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Post some pictures.

It's worth it's weight in scrap metal. To someone who knows the value of its parts it might be considered slightly more than scrap as a parts vehicle to complete another car. It's not drivable so you can't evaluate what needs doing but I guarantee the brakes, tires fuel tank will be toast after 30+ years. Motor and transmission, suspension and steering are all total unknowns and will need 'going through' likely a lot of stuff to replace. On top of this where will you find the parts for a 40 year old car? You'll need a second one that has the missing body trim pieces. This isn't a '69 rs Camaro where you can buy all the body and interior parts from a catalog. Someone should pay YOU to take it and finish it. You have to tow it home still.

Not a nae sayer, just being realistic. Any restoration is a potential money pit.

Don't want to  be a nay sayer either but........Got my 1200 in 2005 and first drove it in 2009. Parts can be difficult if not impossible to find (body parts, exterior trim, interior trim) and can be rather pricey.  Typical rust can be found in the spare tire well, down the rocker panels, the rear of the fenders, and floor boards from the firewall to the seat mounts towards the outside of the car.  Don't mean to crap out your deal but there are things to be aware of before jumping in.

Scrap price is around $200 right now (what a wrecking yard will pay). Rough body and missing interior - those are the most valuable (and the rare) parts of a 1200. The running gear by comparison is easy to get. For ex. a 1982 B310 powertrain will bolt into the B110 and only needs small mods to get running.

$2000.00?  Hell, mine is a daily driver, has 90% of the parts, runs and drives, I have countless hours and dollars in it.

It is still a $500.00 car :thumbup:

Derek:

You may want to contact Peter Zekert, he lives in your area and is a racer of 1200's and sells mostly race parts. However he may know of cars that you don't or racer that have stock cars for sale. OR he may know of someone who knows someone, I ALWAYS ask, " if you don't have a car who does?"

You know what your skill level is and $$ you have to spend, sometimes spending a little more on a solid uni body will save you money and time, not having to do complicated rust repairs. These cars are 40+ years old and NOS parts are hard to come by, however windshields are available-more at times than others, along with gaskets. Tail lights and some trim are hard to find but, It does NOT have to be stock! Metal can be:bent, ground, cut, patched, welded, brazed, sanded, primed and painted to name a few- on the good side!

Improvising when parts aren't available is part of what makes this hobby fun...ya'll remember fun??

• Like 1