MattyHacks' Bamboo Tan 510

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's mostly old people, I find. So many come into the shop with the application tape still on. I'm always tempted to peel it off for them..

As I hand out a ton of stickers, there are quite a few that ask how they are suppose to go on. I think they are surprised when I hand them a 3pc sticker and theyre not quite sure what to do. I think a lot of people see multipiece stickers, but dont understand you need application tape to keep it all together. Makes me chuckle every time. 

Not really a big deal though; easy fix. My favorite is just the people that install stickers on the inside of the windows. 

Tristin if you hand a sticker to me I'll put it on my car! Well hand to the mail man then have him hand it to me...

He can hand you one at Canby.....

Ive been thinking of making Ratsun/Canby commemorative stickers... just something small to hand out for attending. 

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

and looks like next to no rust, on Vancouver island with all that damp salt air I am very amazed

The fact that it never got driven after being painted helps  :rofl:

Very nice 510,but more pics of dad's Manx please...

DuneBuggy018Medium_zps1896dbe0.jpg

DuneBuggy017_zps6a3e14fb.jpg

DuneBuggy016Medium_zps6118bcb8.jpg

DuneBuggy0142_zps391e44df.jpg

I'm not rebuilding these any time soon, just a cool long term project! They may not be the best but they're what I got and what I've anyways wanted.

8-CHI-CHI-PIE.jpg

Nothing looks better than stacks  :thumbup:

I agree with this so much. I used to really dislike L series motors. Whenever a nice 510 would pop its hood and be L series I would walk away disappointed. This is no longer the case haha. After swapping or removing the L from every 510 I have owned I finally fell in love with a little L18/dogleg combo that dyno'd 48whp and 65ftlbs. I am now removing a ka24e from my old daily and returning it to L power. I am pleased to announce I now love L series and encourage keeping them.....but I still want EFI.

• Like 3

I agree with this so much. I used to really dislike L series motors. Whenever a nice 510 would pop its hood and be L series I would walk away disappointed. This is no longer the case haha. After swapping or removing the L from every 510 I have owned I finally fell in love with a little L18/dogleg combo that dyno'd 48whp and 65ftlbs. I am now removing a ka24e from my old daily and returning it to L power. I am pleased to announce I now love L series and encourage keeping them.....but I still want EFI.

Glad to hear it man!! Did you ever get the 2 door rat back?

I really like these stacks from techno toy tuning, so expensive tho  :blush:

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/510/velocity-stacks-carbs

DSC_9771.jpg

Those are some sweet stacks........ :wub:

............not that much more than buying the stock new ones.........

Do eeeet..............cause I can't.......and I wanna see them on your dime at Canby........ :D

• 1 month later...

Haven't done much to the car in the past month or so, been busy with a new job.

Bought a 510 badge of ebay and two Datsun ones off a local. Used double sided tape I took from Mercedes before I left, the tape they use to put on their badges.

IMG_5452Large_zps345b7736.jpg

IMG_5461Large_zpsb606d285.jpg

Took out the seats as well as the rest of the old carpet in prep for the new kit to go in.

IMG_5471Large_zps0ab01585.jpg

Bought a tsurikawa too...couldn't help myself  :w00t: 

IMG_5454Large_zps3e1f4056.jpg

IMG_5473Large_zpsf4b280bc.jpg

Cheers

• Like 1

Got the carpet in

IMG_5493Large_zpsa073924b.jpg

Also gave the car a wash, clay bar, polished the stainless and bumpers and semi detailed the interior in preparation for her first car show tomorrow!

IMG_5492Large_zpsff0b54a4.jpg

IMG_5490Large_zps9a573351.jpg

IMG_5486Large_zps5a56e7f7.jpg

IMG_5481Large_zpsffa71efe.jpg

My dad scored those sick plates for me at a swap meet. My car was build in 69 but registered as a 70, so close enough!! 

• Like 2

Had a real good time at the show today, got lots of compliments on the dime!

IMG_5572Large_zps3eaec53c.jpg

IMG_5574Large_zps342ad0b4.jpg

Some nice other dattos

IMG_5499Large_zpsc829bae1.jpg

IMG_5501Large_zps2c6326d3.jpg

IMG_5502Large_zps9ae89935.jpg

IMG_5503Large_zpsffd1e4b2.jpg

IMG_5505Large_zpsd6bfb766.jpg

IMG_5506Large_zpsd8238cba.jpg

IMG_5509Large_zps9daa3359.jpg

IMG_5512Large_zpsbcc886ab.jpg

IMG_5513Large_zpse7b8b7d5.jpg

IMG_5514Large_zps049dc65a.jpg

IMG_5516Large_zpsa1d5b7ba.jpg

Only sucky part about today was driving home. Half way the trans decided it no longer wanted to live on this planet anymore, and I had to get a tow home. Luckily I got a guys number who's got all the parts I need for a 4speed swap! Stay tuned

• 1 month later...

Well, its been a while since I've done any real work on the car. Just gathering parts and waiting for stuff to come in for the 4 speed swap. Heres what I have so far

IMG_5618Large_zpsc99e4d52.jpg

IMG_5617Large_zps649b31fe.jpg

IMG_5615Large_zpsa2168eb0.jpg

IMG_5619Large_zps926e6696.jpg

This weekend I plan to sand blast the pedals and get them painted, as well as power wash the trans, and drop the flywheel off to get machined. If the slave and release bearing come in tomorrow I could drop the trans off at a buddies house so he can go through it for me.

Has anyone had their flywheel lighted? Would this be a good idea if I'm getting it machined anyways? I wouldn't know what to ask for when I drop it off.

Also did some random stuff to the car like add a few more kilowatts with some anodized washers lulz.

IMG_5612Large_zps17a0f715.jpg

While doing so the last remaining bolt on the hood on the right side decided to shear off and have the hood fall on my head and chip the paint on the cowl  :crying: . Redrilled and tapped those bad boys to prevent future skull damage.

IMG_5611Large_zps5931b73b.jpg

Also I had a problem (back when it was drivable) that seems to be fuel related but I cant put my finger on a solution. After around 30-35 minutes of driving in reasonably hot weather, it seems to almost run lean and its very difficult to keep it from stalling on idle. I'm assuming this has something to do with engine heat, and I overheard someone at the car show mention a similar problem with their 240z. The fix was to put a header wrap-like material around their fuel lines that run close to the motor  :confused: .

Any input would be wicked. Thanks in advance!

Lightening the flywheel will help you rev match once you have the manual in. I'm not sure what kind of gains you'll see with a stock-ish motor, but in my opinion it's always better to have more control over the revs... 

Got my flywheel lightened just a few pounds when I put the LZ in and it helps quite a bit for my style of driving.