Freebird: SR20VE+T 510 Wagon

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I just went to your youtube page. Is that a cassette player and you just slide your phone in to the slot and the tape player picks up the sound from your phone? Did you have to modify the car sterio?

Yep, that's exactly what it is.
I spliced a male audio jack into the tape player right before the amplifiers and then mounted it so that it would engage my phones audio jack when I pushed it in.
The phone plays signal to the amplifier, you can then use the tape player knobs to change the volume, bass, etc.
The tape player then sends the signal to the speaker. No modification to the car speaker system.

• 6 months later...

I managed to talk Jeff Hino into helping me respray the wagon.
And by respray I of course mean cut off both quarter panels, along with both rocker panels, fix the underlying rot, weld on replacements panels, body work all of the new panels, strip the roof to metal, remove the doors, remove the windows, strip and paint the jams, reinstall the doors, align all the panels, "fix" all of my shabby bodywork I have been doing to this point, block, the whole car and then spray.
We figured if we both did one side it couldn't possible take more than 2 or 3 weeks... 

We started with the easy part, cutting the car to pieces.
okSyo7a.jpg 
nJqhTTO.jpg 
Then welding on better panels.
OF8Teig.jpg 
fqCEILy.jpg 
More grinding away of 4 decades of resprays.
Pv9mBsa.jpg 
epoxy primer
eTVg55p.jpg 
it puts the filler on, it sands the filler off, it puts the filler on, it sands the filler off.
b8JKHVN.jpg 
primer over the body work, paint in the jams, and rehang the doors.
klFWU5C.jpg 
align all the panels.
IcJBUnc.jpg 
More bodywork, more primer.
Ed9j2uR.jpg 
more body work, more primer
ju3aYwY.jpg 
wetsand
2ERCbZf.jpg 

and finally... color.
bjtzRzw.jpg 
https://goo.gl/photos/i8RxzqNXM627yjiN7

And several months later, its now time to reassemble.

• Like 6
  • 3 weeks later...

As it sat once we removed the masking, 
3TN7iJW.jpg

Some dynomat, some door seals, some trim
iCOUM6b.jpg

LOTS of buffing by Jeff as I reassembled the front and rear.
Then put it on the ground.
kk19FH1.jpg

gsXFwhL.jpg

Sewed up my own headliner based on the scraps I pulled out of the car.
ai7aSVQ.jpg

Reassembled and windows installed. Datsport seals with a brand new windsheild.

wqioFsC.jpg

Thanks again for the help Jeff!

• Like 8

Thanks again for the help Jeff!

No problem buddy!  It was super fun how we each had a side!  

When can I park my wagon in your garage Jeff?  I like what happens there.

Bring it over buddy!!!   

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I've mostly just been enjoying daily driving the wagon with its new paint for the last couple months. 

But then Jeff convinced me race cars are more fun than show cars... 

We found the Evergreen Raceway just started doing autocross events again. It was too tempting.

Btwuzv2.jpg

In line for tech. inspection behind "a 510 called, hey"B2Nd8OL.jpg

Unfortunately, no action shots from my first auto X.

Pushing the wagon to the limit for several hours made one thing clear, while my suspension is low, it is TERRIBLE for handling.
Most apparent was how soft the rear was, the repacked leaves must have a spring rate of about 100 lb/in each, unacceptable.

Talking with Carter, he suggested I try out some adjustable rear shocks he had around. I measured my current setup but it turned out they wouldn't fit.
However, I then knew I had an overall shock length of 14".

There was a set of Tesla roadster suspension that was sitting around Jeff's shop that I had been eyeballing for my eventual IRS Setup.
A quick measurement and who'd have guessed, nearly 14".

Internet searches show these coils being somewhere around 200lb/in, I couldn't find any exact numbers but, I figured anything is better than the leafs alone. 
Plus I would get some better damping. The suspension seems to be the same as that on the Lotus Elise, says mister google.

NGwF5Ti.jpg

XFssKVs.jpg

First was to bolt up the wheel side. The stock thru hole was 3/8" where as the 510 stud was 5/8".
I noticed it looked like there was a reducer bushing in the suspension, sure enough there was and the bore after removing it? 5/8".
9kFxZjh.jpg

Now it was just a matter of making upper mounts to fit in the stock bolt pattern from the shock mount plates.

rIHXoS5.jpg

Two angle brackets were made to catch either side of the coil over pivot as well half of the mounting holes.  

There are two mounting locations for the pivot, one puts the pivot near the stock location, the other moves the point further inboard to reduce ride height if necessary.

oA3kOt2.jpg

And done. The ride is way better, reduced my body roll by a ton!

The only down side is a 1" ride height increase in the rear. The inner mount may siolve this but that position interferes with the e-brake cable. I may just block it down instead.
qDKZTra.jpg

Next race is on Saturday, we'll see how it goes.

• Like 2
  • volkswagner changed the title to Freebird: SR20VE+T 510 Wagon