the 320 is off the road

SS320

Ok here is what happened. I fixed the first 'not running well' problem by replacing the inline fuel filter.

It ran ok then, but after finding the sludge and muck inside the original fuel filter bowl, I thought I should run a kit through the carb.

I took it to a mates place. He is a qualified mechanic and that's when I got the bad news...

After pulling it apart and cleaning it, closer inspection shows the glass is NOT going to fit back over the float chamber.

The housing is so warped it isn't going to fit now.

I bought a brand new carb for a later model Datsun and got it fitted with a few adjustments to manifold, air cleaner etc.

Now the car is rotten. It has no choke, it's hard to start and burns heaps more fuel.

It takes ages to warm up and has some terrible flat spots.

I just want my old nikki carb back the way it was so I can drive it again. I don't think I can straighten out the warped carb.

I'm going back to my mates place this week to try and fix it with the new carb it but I thought some ideas from Ratsun may help!

Here are some pics of the problem with the Nikki carb.

DSC03156_zps6edf7b94.jpg

DSC03157_zpse1e3fbdf.jpg

DSC03155_zps5dd6c4fd.jpg

DSC03158_zps8fe08041.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest a weber, I have one on my stock E1 engine and it runs great, the former owner of the vehicle put it on just before delivering it to me and said he should have done it years ago, a lot more power I think he said.

Weber also has parts support, so that is what I would do.

I do not know what happened to the stock carb that was removed, so that is not an option.  :crying:

How about if you take the carb to a machine shop / fabrication shop and see if they can make it work?  It might just take a little bending and resurfacing.  It's not like it's worth much as is, and you may mangle it more if you try yourself.  Might be cheap and easy to have pros do it.

• Like 1