Trucky-chan KA-T 620 project

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Throttle cable is just some fleabay universal deal.

As for the throttle body inlet my two ideas at the moment involve making elbows. Option one being to cut off the Vband that is on the throttle body now and weld an elbow in its place. Option two is make an elbow that would mount between the throttle body and intake. 

This was just a quick test fit so not worried about hoses. The water outlet on the new intake manifold is threaded so I could switch it out for an angled one if needed, but pretty sure I'll be able to get away with just shortening the existing upper hose a little. I have those unicoils on my heater hoses.

In other news turbo position is perfect for running the drain line between the uprights on the motor mount brackets and plenty of clearance for oil feed and coolant lines. Exhaust angle out of the turbo will be nice and slight too.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

More parts and test fitting.

NZZepND.jpg

S3EVqK5.jpg

fQvVI9F.jpg

7QaLY0l.jpg

Not pictured is some 3" stainless exhaust tubing and a muffler.  

Engine harness is back out waiting to be torn down and hacked up to remove any unneeded wires. Beyond that I haven't had much time to devote to garaging this week so nothing else got done.

• Like 3

Ive read through most of you thread , great build BTW, and im trying to figure out which shorty header you used on the NA Ka that fits. I got a long tube and its been modified to the point of no return trying to make it work with my 620 and it still dose not fit. Guess im asking so I don't buy another and it not fit.

• 2 weeks later...

Got distracted working on the new daily and putting a proper exhaust on the mustang, but back to datsunning.

qbQm0uY.jpg

I was able to retain the original fuse block mount,

5AOQnP3.jpg

All that remains of the original harness.

35TLOyC.jpg

Now i just need to decide if i'm going to do disconnects at the firewall...probably. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Slow progress on this so far. As usual with my buying a new-to-me car it needed some work that took longer than anticipated, but such is life.  I have been collecting a few pieces.

h4ighKW.jpg

The solution to my Tbody to radiator clearance issue. As it happens the company that makes my intake also makes elbows for it.

B6m0OOx.jpg

Don't need the dizzy cap/rotor anymore so just a little dust cap now.

k34QgtZ.jpg

The piece de resistance. GT3071R T3/V band .63 turbine housing, compact (3" in 2" out gt28 style) .60 compressor housing.

zeXqhDc.jpg

lwv6IKz.jpg

After a week I finally finished getting the ignition switch attached to the new harness and loomed up.

• Like 2

Another week later and I have added one more of the old connectors to the new harness.

JZeZrNz.jpg

I do feel some sense of accomplishment in that I finally wrapped my head around the Datsun turn signal switch.

I'll be reusing the little bracket I added for my previous switched power fuse box as a mounting point for various relays, flashers and the fiber light for the light/wiper switches.

qCOwY99.jpg

I figured I'd go ahead and revisit the intercooler test fit with some more details on how it fits.

SIV4ZkH.jpg

sn33w8Q.jpg

• Like 2

Back from vacation armed with a new source of good quality economical stainless v bands (jegs in case anyone is wondering) and motivation to get to work on the exhaust.

XnszvLU.jpg

Down pipe is finished other than wastegate dump tube and finish welding.

KzH6CVs.jpg

Rest of the exhaust is well under way.

keYOQvY.jpg

Q2zd5T1.jpg

YOujnvg.jpg

Sadly without going to an oval pipe there doesn't seem to be a good way to keep everything tucked up above the frame, but it's better than it was with the previous exhaust I made.

rwiDlln.jpg

I'm hoping to be able to finish this part of the project without having to buy anymore bends, but it'll be close. Either way now that I have verified the quality of these v bands I'll need to order one more.

• Like 2

My thought for that is to weld a tube to the top of the cross member and add flex couplers to either side. Once the couplers are welded to the tube (before welding to the cross member) you can flatten the tube a bit in a vice to oval it for a bit more clearance. 

jex-flx1344b_ml.jpg

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jex-flx1344b?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-jones-exhaust&gclid=CNLx-tvAjdMCFRRqfgod7oEEUQ

• Like 1

I think working around the torsion bars would make that idea difficult at best. I'll crawl under there later to see. I had previously clearanced the trans xmember a bit so it would tuck a little higher. I'm not dragging frame, nor do I have any plans to go any lower so it really won't be a problem anyway.

• Like 1

I'm cool with auto ovalling.  I did go back and check and running the exhaust over the xmember is a no go. In this case it is the torsion bar member that's the problem and there is no clearance above it.

The hard part is done and I didn't have to buy anymore tubing. Now I just have to decide if I'm going to put the other vband before or after the carrier bearing xmember.

fXUHIvZ.jpg

I'm still waiting on that other vband to show up so I set to work on the sub harness for the coils.

e7AUaOJ.jpg

Power and ground are done, just need to run the trigger wires and loom it up. I'll be running this in wasted spark since my MS is one of the early boards with only a 15 pin serial port so running sequential spark would eliminate a couple of I/O ports that I think I'll need for other things.

• Like 2

I'm enjoying following your build. Keep it up!

Being able to run tucked exhaust was one of the reasons...ok, probably the only one. With stock sized exhaust (1-3/4") I was able to easily route the exhaust up and over the crossmembers with my very poor exhaust building capabilities (using capability very loosely). Later, when I install the SR20 motor, I'll likely rebuild the crossmembers so I can run the exhaust through them.

Thanks gents. 

2Wheel, I would suspect with coilovers you should be able to cut a hole in the torsion bar member braced with a larger piece of pipe to run the exhaust straight through. Something I'll be considering when I get around to suspension work on this truck. Unrelated not I'm rather envious of your brake setup.

I have the exhaust pretty well mocked up at this point. Just need to add the O2 bung, hangers and weld up all of the seems (that should only take 2-3 hours...). Rearer vband ended up going before the carrier bearing xmember, mostly because I couldn't get clearance between the floor and the xmember with it being placed after (I spent way to much time trying to massage the floor pan and xmember trying to get it to work).

mKWS1K4.jpg

VqfKfKr.jpg

d6Vrzn0.jpg

• Like 2