RL411 water pump hub/shaft swap question

sreams

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only differences I have noticed is that the Nissan late production pumps use 6 mm screws to attach the rear cover rather than 1/4 inch screws.  The bolt holes for the fan spinner are also changed from 1/4 inch to 6 mm, but you are going to reuse your RL411 spinner anyway so who cares. Also, [probably after market suppliers to Nissan] the latest water pumps use sheet metal impellers, not cast iron ones.

As to the gaskets being different I think you will find that this is the area of gasket coverage of the engine block to pump surface.  The water jacket opening in the block and the coresponding pump opening will mate up and work.  Early gaskets leave a big open area around the engine block opening but the gasket seals the periphery anyway.  In either case, I  recomend tracing the gasket you do use on a sheet of good paper and saving the tracing.  You might want a gasket later and you can use the tracing to cut a new gasket from sheet gasket material.

• 6 months later...

I know this is an old thread so I apologize if it is inappropriate to reply, but there is a significant difference between the early and late 1600 Roadster water pumps. The late Roadsters had a fan clutch which pushed the fan further forward. To compensate, the mounting bracket on the shaft was pressed much farther back, if I recall correctly actually recessed back further than the end of the water pump housing itself. The bolt pattern for the fan was also different, as the 68-70 Roadster fan was a single plastic unit rather than two pressed metal pieces.

I never had an opportunity to try it for the 1600, but I bought some parts for my '66 PL411 (J engine) from a Nissan forklift parts department. The H20, commonly used in forklifts, is the same block as the R16. It is possible that the H20 forklift water pump may work on the RL411, and if so is probably dirt cheap - at least they were back in the early 2000's.