McKinney Motorsports products, how do you rate them?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good shop, makes a a lot of cool shit for datsuns, Mac is a good guy, I've known him for about 10 years.

Are you having issues or just feeling them out before you buy somrthing.

• Like 1

I am using their adapter mounts in my KA swap. They look simple, but refined. I think they are worth the money. Modular isolators, I can swap to Poly or back to Rubber or to semi solid... or full on solid mounts if I want to. Simply jack engine up to take tension off, unbolt isolator, bolt in new one, drop engine, done.

I'm not sure on their crossmembers, etc - looks like overkill, but if I had disposable income for such things I wouldn't be upset buying their products. Not even in the least.

I was also pleased with their service, and prompt shipping from California (they gave me a discount, and shipped it priority mail instead of UPS as per my request - so I got my parts in 2 days.)

Good shop, makes a a lot of cool shit for datsuns, Mac is a good guy, I've known him for about 10 years.

Are you having issues or just feeling them out before you buy somrthing.

no issues, just want to start stock piling parts for a future build, just wasnt sure about their quality.   

on another note, i know that there is a couple guys on here that offer good custom parts for the 510's, is there or could we start up a classified thread with the different individuals and their products.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not seeing it, example?

Cmon Mike, have a good look.

"decression" instead of "discretion" (as one example). Sentence structure and grammar is on a par with what my seven year old daughter can come up with.

Kinda looks to me like jrock and Hainz went on a bender and then decided to create a website for the lulz.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I drive a Datrun DOMISTIC car.

Taken from the web site. 

"Mckinney Motorsports has maintain a position in the forefront of the Nissan/Datrun scene since the beginning.  , You can see our work at car shows all over the world."

I love the comma as the start to a new sentence. 

• 3 years later...

I've been waiting for just about 3 months for a header from them. Their email responses have been dismal at best. 

They were fast to respond to my emails until I paid and asked for an eta. Then I had to email them two or three times for a response over a couple weeks

so I asked for a refund with a restocking fee is necessary. Their response was, "All materials have been purchased." I said okay and I'll continue to wait for it.

Sent another email a couple weeks later asking for an eta and they got back to me.... saying it was refunded.

I never got money back and now they won't respond to my emails.

All I want is my way overpriced header

Taken directly from their Facebook page...

I want to let everyone Know as of now MY son Gary Is taking over the day to day running of MCKINNEY MOTORSPORTS. I need step aside due to age ( 70 on Monday) and health. Gary will do a great job for everyone. He has been here from the start. I will help when I can and hope to do some of the R&D work on new swap kits before I am gone completely. I know that you will give him the support you gave me over the last 20 years. I want to say THANK all the Datsun/Nissan customers who have helped us grow over all these years.

Mack McKinney

• 3 years later...

What do I think of McKinney motorsports…. Damn where do I start…

well from my experiences with them  I can say in the early 2000’s  they did a lot of engine swaps on Datsun’s, 

I remember some looked ok and some jobs done a bit sloppy on the electrical part but functional, 

But.. I can honestly say this is a team or shop that lost there edge many years ago it is very hard to deal with bad attitudes fake promises and very sloppy work McKinney motorsports became a shop known as speed SoCal, I can say I lost time and money dealing with this has been  return from the grave shop, I paid everything up front  and was lied to ! very little was done for what I paid for,  my car sat in there shop for 1 year Gary was quick to reach out when needed additional money but almost seemed like my money was being used to order or parts for others and to complete other people’s cars while my car sat , I asked for progress updates all I got was lies and negative attitude .. I am a paying customer and did not deserve this from Gary or Mac, was a terrible experience dealing with this mediocre shop!  When I got my car back  they butchered my trans tunnel  cutting into my brake lines , they  butchered up my electrical harness lost a bunch of nuts and bolts , they left my car in a very bad unfinished state, them really not caring  of my property shoving my gas tank and drive shaft and other parts into my car all sitting on my front grill assembly, I would not recommend doing business with them in any way they are not reliable not honest or professional, there fabricating skills are not on par with what some of these other shops are doing ,  the run around and headaches they gave me for 1 year was very stressful getting updates  and at the very end getting my car back was like pulling teeth ! because , there was bank fraud involved where the McKinney’s had to close shop, when I asked for a fair partial refund  because not much work was done for the thousands I spent there, I was told we have no money they filed bankruptcy and skipped town, there was a few other people looking for them just wanting there cars back,  this was a terrible experience! There is a tons of great fabricators out there without the premodonna  attitude that can get these cars done, I had a shop remove all the mess the McKinney’s made  with there eBay kits they buy cut and weld ,  the new shop I ended up taking my car to said wow these guys really hacked into your car! But don’t worry we will get it done right for you in the time of a little over 2 months they stripped down the car inspected everything  they ordered all my parts and got my car running and this was the first 510 they had ever worked on ,  so guys if you want stuff done avoid the McKinney’s  they don’t deserve to be in this industry or deserve our hard earned money, and I have proof of all conversations  and receipts and very little work done by them , and as well as how they hacked my car up, and just continued to lie and have fake promises, and a lot of attitude! I’m just stating the facts and my experience with them they are a has been very dishonest sloppy and can’t deliver.

Crying over spilled milk.

The take way from this experience is to get cost estimates up front, set expected goals for work completed and time needed to complete. Basically a roadmap to completion. A good shop should be good at estimates for work/time/costs. Never pay up front fully but for work done as it is done. Once parted from your money you have little leverage and they have no incentive. If an engine build is $4,000 agree to maybe 25% up front and remainder when completed. If a shop asks for the full $4,000 something is wrong.... go somewhere else fast! As milestones are met and payments made they should have enough capital to start the next agreed upon section of work. Things get out of hand and languish when you are not involved so drop by once a week to see progress and discuss the build. Shit happens but constant excuses???? Cut your losses, pay for whats been done and parts bought, get a tow tuck and get your car the hell out of there before YOU have to sell your house.