2jz wagon gets a 3-link

Supra510

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So...my coilover shocks that I bought used didn't have the upper spring seat.  Never needed it before as I was using these as shocks only.  Turns  out the manufacturer doesn't sell the top seats only.  They sell pairs, they sell bottoms only, not tops only.  90.00 bucks to get what I needed.  Decided to make my own.  Spent 10.99 on a hole saw that partially worked.  But they are finished.

19026915.jpg

19026920.jpg

19026918.jpg

19026916.jpg

19026917.jpg

19026919.jpg

• Like 1

Oh wow your wagon really has NO floor in the back. I know you said clearence wasnt a problem I didnt realize it was just gone! Lol

Lol...correct.  I've kept it below my floor level, and plan to keep it there,   but with the braces it's still higher than stock for sure.  The way I've done this 3 link, there wouldn't be a right rear seat.   I suppose you could keep the link centered and make it work with a high "console" between the rear seats, you'd have to raise the floor up in that area too....

@Son_of_a_Datsun_Guy, What you've done is probably the best option with leaf springs for performance. Any modification of the stock setup or stiffening the leaf pack can only get you a marginal upgrade over stock.

My car is way too soft, I have tons of body roll and yet when I drive down the 580 it feels like I'm getting punched the ride is so bad lol.

I can't even grip it anymore unless its completely smooth pavement.

I need proper suspension.

@Supra510, hurry up and finish so I can steal all your pictarz! =DDD

If you need rear seats, why not do a single or two buckets in the back? I was thinking of doing this with my wagon to replace the bench.

I'm considering a 3-link setup as well ... looking nice so far.

Thanks.  Luckily I don't need them.  In fact that back seat area's been useless since I installed the rollbar.  Just gives an idea what you might face in that area if you want to keep them.  Glad I don't have to worry about it!

• Like 1

Little slow going, but have the lower shock mount/brackets completed.  This puts the shocks pretty close to verticle without coming above the braces I have welded in.  Tomorrow I may weld these in....at which point I'd be close to putting the weight back on the wheels.  Missing some bushings for the shocks.  Those should arrive Monday.  The lower adjustment collar won't be that low when I run it.  Just there to make sure I had clearance.

19029441.jpg

19029442.jpg

Kelvin Dietz (he designed the traction bars).

I hate to be that guy, but Kelvin didn't design them himself. I gave him a copy of the Datsun Competition Manual for the 1200 which had the plans for them in it. I had them on my 1200 as far back as 2004 and he saw that and asked about them. They've been around since at least early 1972 (when the manual was issued by Datsun Competition Department). 

But he does very good work.   :thumbup:

Finished  one of the lower shock mounts completed tonight. 

Pieces to box one side in

19030587.jpg

Prior to welding

19030590.jpg

Welded in

19030589.jpg

Another angle

19030591.jpg

So...basically I need to weld in the other side, clean the axle, paint it, and put it back underneath.  Should happen this coming weekend.

• Like 1

The good news...it's on the ground supporting it's own weight.  The bad news, I'll need to install the 12 inch springs for the coilovers. I had 10 inch springs, so I could assemble everything without a spring compressor.  But in the below pic I'm pretty close to as high as I can get and it's too low.

No big deal, I have the 12 inch springs, just need to compress them and then reinstall things and set the ride height.  Need to weld in the top shock/coilover mounts.

Otherwise, I have all the links attached and shimmed so there is no sideways movement and won't be any rattling noise.  That took a bit of time, but everything is tight now.

19033381.jpg

• Like 2