510 Fuel Gauge Stuck at Certain Levels

Gensaiken

So, my 510 had sat for a while and I was having some issues with keeping it running, thought maybe there was crap in the tank, also wanted to check if any rust had built up in the tank (side note: it was my carbs untuned). So I removed the fuel tank sender unit to look around, put it back on in the correct direction. Filled it with some fuel and it read 3/4 of a tank. Drove it for a while and noticed it was still at 3/4 of a tank and finally it felt like it was running out of fuel, sputtering. I opened it up again, checked the position, checked if I had damaged anything and checked the cable. All looked fine. Put it back on filled it with about 5 gallons of fuel and now it reads 1/4 of a tank... I'm pretty sure it should read more than 1/4.

I'm at a bit of a loss. It has been working fine for years with out issue. When the car is off it reads empty, when turned on it goes up to 1/4 of a tank and stops.

I don't want to blindly replace parts, any ideas on what could be going on?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Woah, you got the car back on the road again?! 

That's awesome.

I'd run it low on fuel and pull the sender out clean the contacts with some vinegar and toss it back in. Obviously make sure the arm moves freely up and down with little resistance. 

Gensaiken, been a while. Good to see you back. There was a post within the last week or so with someone asking if anyone knew you.

If you have a spare I would swap it in and cut to the chase.

Sorry no one knows me. :ninja:

I'll swap out the pump some time soon and see if that solves the issue. Then on to the next thing. :hmm: