Project: Bucket Of Rusty Excrement 78' 620 KC

So long story Short, Here is my baby. my 78' 620 King Cab. His name is Sebastien, and (excuse my french) he is a P.O.S. he has been in my Family since April of 08', and it may not be too long compared to some of you but in that time he has made a Lasting Impression.

SDC11209.jpg

The truck used to be my dads, and he only bought it for parts for his 73' 620. well he drove it for a little while, and then parted it. but while he drove it, i got the chance to ride along, and i fell in love. so here is where my journey with him begins.

As of right this moment, this is how he sits, Motorless, rotting, but hopefully within the year working again.

023.jpg

So plans consist of(at this moment):

-Fix 5speed Trans I have (missing 2nd &5th)

-Rebuild and drop in L16

-Upgrade to Saturn Alternator

-Wire up Power Leather Mercedes Seats out of an 81' 300SD

-Wire up Mercedes headlights and Fogs out of the same 81' 300SD

-Fix floors (as of now I can Flintstone it)

-Get it Legal again

-DRIVE THE PISS OUT OF IT!

Later Plans Include a Street Port Carbed 13B Wankel

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I got this L16 from Tristan Yesterday, and so  today I decided to get it degreased and start the Teardown.

temporary_zps531ce0b0.jpg

temporary_zpsc5f454fb.jpg

temporary_zpsb1ffcfe4.jpg

temporary_zpse845f6c4.jpg

temporary_zps553d3316.jpg

^LOOK AT HOW SMOOTH THOSE CYLINDERS ARE!!!!!^

temporary_zps4153f2ae.jpg

After the Degeasing

temporary_zps79d92fab.jpg

and the beginning of the Teatdown

temporary_zps45e60de1.jpg

temporary_zpsa25e2719.jpg

temporary_zps44944251.jpg

temporary_zpsfd086e77.jpg

Plan for tomorrow is to flip it over, Pull the pan and start the complete teardown.

OH! on a side note, anyone willing to trade (from what i understand is) a 510 L20B oil Pan for an L16 620 Oil pan?

620's never came with an L16. Just a heads up on that.

Someone could have put that 620 pan on there.  Actually. It looks like it came off the motor I sold him.  Which, would fit any L series. 

possible it is, just from what i Heard it is not the right Pan. He said he got this one From DatWifey and Brody.

620's did get the L16, for 72' and 73' both my dads 73's came with them factory.

• Like 1

OH! on a side note, anyone willing to trade (from what i understand is) a 510 L20B oil Pan for an L16 620 Oil pan?

Probably a 510 L16 oil pan on an L20B, possibly another car L20B oil pan but not a 510 L20B.

620's never came with an L16. Just a heads up on that.

'Fraid they did grasshopper. The 620 came out around Jan/April '71 (as a '72 model year) through Sept '73 and used an L16 standard or automatic. First automatic truck.

There would have been some variances between L16/18 and the L20B 620 oil pans because of engine height differences and motor mounts but all will interchange and should work or be easily made to fit. (BFH)

Made more progress on the Teardown today.

Was able to get it down to the block

temporary_zps5cafbb2d.jpg

Bearings out and Labeled

temporary_zpsa75f815e.jpg

temporary_zpsa1163705.jpg

temporary_zps8eda6100.jpg

temporary_zpsd6e1d81f.jpg

Noticed some scorch marks on both Main and Con rod Bearings so my wild guess is that it was having Lubing problems. looks like I am goin to need a new Oil Pump :sneaky:

temporary_zps26e92de3.jpg

temporary_zpsfd9630f8.jpg

temporary_zps974f73f1.jpg

temporary_zpsb43210ab.jpg

Since we were able to tear it apart more, i was able to start a list on some things i need

- Oil Pump (goin to run a KA24E oil pump, from what I understand Has A higher flow rate)

- New Oil Pickup (didn't have one in the motor)

- New Timing Set

- Both Upper and lower Gasket Sets

- New waterpump(going L20B cause I have the space for the Fan Clutch)

Now i do have a few questions.

- Can I run ARP L20B Head studs? not entirely sure on the differences between the actual size of the L20B compared to the L16 :blush:

-Connecting rod bolts, can L20B bolts be used?

Anyway, thats what I have for today. hope to be able to start lookin at the Head that is goin on it within the next few days

• Like 1

I cant remember what pan is on there... I vaguely remember Jenn telling me I would need to use my own 510 pan when I swapped it in, but I cant be certain. I would PM her and ask... see if she can recall. 

Do you know how different the 521 pan is compared to the 620 pan? I have a 521 pan and pickup from the motor Izzo sold me. 

Made more progress on the Teardown today.

Was able to get it down to the block

temporary_zps5cafbb2d.jpg

Bearings out and Labeled

temporary_zpsa75f815e.jpg

temporary_zpsa1163705.jpg

temporary_zps8eda6100.jpg

temporary_zpsd6e1d81f.jpg

Noticed some scorch marks on both Main and Con rod Bearings so my wild guess is that it was having Lubing problems. looks like I am goin to need a new Oil Pump :sneaky:

temporary_zps26e92de3.jpg

temporary_zpsfd9630f8.jpg

temporary_zps974f73f1.jpg

temporary_zpsb43210ab.jpg

Since we were able to tear it apart more, i was able to start a list on some things i need

- Oil Pump (goin to run a KA24E oil pump, from what I understand Has A higher flow rate)

- New Oil Pickup (didn't have one in the motor)

- New Timing Set

- Both Upper and lower Gasket Sets

- New waterpump(going L20B cause I have the space for the Fan Clutch)

Now i do have a few questions.

- Can I run ARP L20B Head studs? not entirely sure on the differences between the actual size of the L20B compared to the L16 :blush:

-Connecting rod bolts, can L20B bolts be used?

Anyway, thats what I have for today. hope to be able to start lookin at the Head that is goin on it within the next few days

That 'scoring' is nothing. It's the other side of those bearing shells that need to be looked at.... the sides that the crank mains and rod journals ride against. They are covered with layers of soft metal and will show wear often right down to the copper backing material. Nothing in these pictures looks abby normal.

MartyFeldman.jpg

Flip those bearing shells over and show pictures of them and the crank.

Posting to prove this thread is NOT boring

• Like 1

Oil Pump I.D.:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/57443-oil-pump-suggestions/

When you post a WTB ad for your oil pan, just post it as "620 oil pan needed".  It doesn't matter what engine it's from, as long as it fits your 620.  You will get less confusing responses that way.  Also, see if you can get the oil pick-up tube with the pan.  If you can't get a matched set, it's not a huge deal.  I was able to heat my L20B tube up and bend it into the correct position for my 510 pan....  Just make sure you measure everything first.

can you scrape up $400?

for that '79 KC up around the corner from me; it has a lot less rust than yours

Yeah bu, l20, 5 speed (i think) discs, and stepside (If thats your thing)

Where is this rust free KC for $400 that you speak of? I am interested. :)

• Like 2

I cant remember what pan is on there... I vaguely remember Jenn telling me I would need to use my own 510 pan when I swapped it in, but I cant be certain. I would PM her and ask... see if she can recall. 

Do you know how different the 521 pan is compared to the 620 pan? I have a 521 pan and pickup from the motor Izzo sold me. 

i'm not sure, i just looked at the L20 pan my dad on his, and it seemed a bit thinner, other than that they loook the same so I think it will work, but when i test fit the engine i will find out.

What head you plan on using?

just a round port A87

temporary_zps034791ca.jpg

temporary_zpscd964029.jpg

temporary_zps4feed13e.jpg

Needs some clean up but will do the Job

Flip those bearing shells over and show pictures of them and the crank.

Posting to prove this thread is NOT boring

Thank you :D

and as requested here they are.

temporary_zps68944171.jpg

temporary_zps4b28e7ca.jpg

temporary_zps01b69a9c.jpg

temporary_zpsb2c8dd10.jpg

temporary_zps5a515a8f.jpg

temporary_zps06304d62.jpg

temporary_zps90183afc.jpg

THey all basically look as such. Just to be safe i think i will just get the new pump anyway, and i can use the old one as a bartering chip. :P