P411 axle in a L320 ?

Jester4always

Folks I want to put a Mercedes 4cly with attached manual 4speed with 1:1 final gearing I have laying about in a L320 I just found that was about to be scraped.

I think the very tall 4.875 would just be way to tall for this truck so I am looking to do a axle swap.  It just so happens I can get my hands on a P411 axle!  I am not sure what the gearing is in it, I have to go check it out but need to drive two hours to do so.  So before I waste a bunch of Diesel to go look, is it even feasible to swap axles?  I have no plans on loading this truck , just a fun, back on road toy.

Note.

The stock factory 200D the Mercedes 621 motor came out of had a aprox 3.8 : 1 rear end  with a top speed of 81 MPH @ 4200 rpm. ( redline)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The H190 3rd member in your 320 axle housing is a 488 ratio as you said, but all the datsun trucks from the 320, to the 720 all use the H190 3rd member, but the 320 H190 has one issue, the axle ends are different, so when you find a H190 rearend with 389s, or even 370s in the Datsun/Nissan 720, you will have to pull the gearset apart, and put the 320 side gears into the 720 gearset, it's not that hard, I can usually do it in less than an hour if they are both lying on the floor in front of me.

There is a write up here on Ratsun, but I don't recall where it is.

• Like 1

Datzenmike  The 1:1 is the ratio out of the mercedes trans in fourth. (Aka Straight though) No overdrive or life would be a LOT simpler.  Without I would would be hard pressed to get 60mph out of the truck @ 3800.  Too close to where the red line lives (4400) 

I thank all of you for your input as I try to find a solution, which looks mainly as a logistical issue of sourcing a 720 3:88 third member and possibly axles ( are these five lug wheels as well?) And thank you for taking the time to post the pics, it clarifies a few things.

Datzenmike  The 1:1 is the ratio out of the mercedes trans in fourth. (Aka Straight though) No overdrive or life would be a LOT simpler.  Without I would would be hard pressed to get 60mph out of the truck @ 3800.  Too close to where the red line lives (4400) 

I thank all of you for your input as I try to find a solution, which looks mainly as a logistical issue of sourcing a 720 3:88 third member and possibly axles ( are these five lug wheels as well?) And thank you for taking the time to post the pics, it clarifies a few things.

320 trucks should be six lug, all datsun trucks are six lug till likely at least the 90s.

The axles stay with the rearend housing, the gearsets are transferable, but the side gears in the 720 gearset need to be changed to the 320 side gears, so it matches the 320 axle.

Here is Mike's write up on the side gear change.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/10748-h190-spider-gear-swap/

Does your 320 a 5 lugs?

3.545 would be just about perfect, 3.8 is workable.  So is the consensus here that the gear set from the P411 will not fit into the 320 diff? Damn I want this to work out somehow, and I am having no luck locating a alternate rear end up here in no mans land.

Wayno, you sir are correct, even I know that they are 6 lug wheels, but after a 12 hr shift and a class my head is up in the ummmm clouds.  

Off subject, is the trasmission bell housing a common pattern on these little buggers?  I wonder what other small motors might have a common pattern

Actually the transmissions do not bolt to the engines, they bolt to an adapter plate, and that plate bolts to the engine, I know of no transmissions that do what you are asking, otherwise we would all be sporting 5 speeds, but you can design a plate that bolts to the engine and aligns the starter, and then sell it to the rest of us lazy folks. :lol: 

I thought you were going with a "Mercedes 4cly with attached manual 4speed", I don't believe that the 1200cc engine that came in the 320 will turn 354 gears with positive results, mine has 389s.

That was the original plan. unfortunately after the measurements came back the Mercedes would be just to tight a fit to squeeze in.  I started to worry about front end weight as well as the mercedes is Built!     Now I am looking at smaller kubotas or such, and will have to adapt to the stock trans, and since the stock trans already uses a adapter plate it makes it that much easier.  I WILL make something work.

This still leaves me  wondering if the P411 has the H190 diff.  if so it would be worth purchasing the extra pats car, if not...

Motor Purchased!  Perkins  403d-15! 3 cyl diesel, It will fit and It has the alternator and radiator with it. I dont have a lot of HP to play with ( 33)  and I will be limited to about 3000rpm. But 96 ftlbs of tourque @ 1800 rpms ! Looks like I will have to source a rearset. 3: 89 appears to be the goal with stock size tires I will still be able to roll a easy 70.

I did not know you were still searching for an engine, I would have suggested the B210/210 A series engine(A14/15) and transmission, it fits and you can get parts for it, good little engines, I had one in my 65 L320, but a kid came around the corner and hit me head on while I was stopped, ruined that truck for me.

Here is an A15 in the said L320 that was wrecked.

DSCF0018.JPG

DSCF0019.JPG

1965%2520datsun%2520320%2520001.jpg

Fun little truck, to bad it was a rust bucket, it had holes in the rockers on both sides, and the rear corners were really bad, this photo is after I fixed it, then I sold it.

DSCF0014.JPG