'71 510 Goon Alternator Wiring - Help!

ianmyers

I recently acquired a 1971 510 goon with a couple issues. The only wire connected to the alternator was one on the positive side connected to the positive battery terminal. I went ahead and added (what I think is correct) a wire from the positive side of the starter to the positive side of the alternator. I also added a ground from the negative side of the alternator to the engine block. After doing this, the alternator is still not charging the battery. The car will run and drive, but needs a jump start to get it going. If anyone could let me know if this is correct or close to it that would be great. Thanks

NOTE: The red wire coming from the negative side of the alternator is grounded. Red was the only color wire I had to work with at the time.

2vn5d2h.jpge9izb5.jpg25sbg1z.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the car will start without a jump if the battery is charged. I drove the car around for about 45 minutes to charge the battery. When I got home, I shut off the car and tried to start again. The battery was completely dead. I've looked at a couple wiring diagrams and everything (as far as I can tell) is wired as it should be. At this point I believe the alternator might be bad?