how to check the age of ur tires

Yeah, thats no good and no need for a picture. I'd take the tires back and ask for new ones. If they dont want to help you might call the Bureau of Automotive Repair, they may have some authority.

Thanks. I have a feeling since I haven't paid any money and they haven't touched pavement they will likely help me out.

I'll post tomorrow and let you folks know what happens.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. I have a feeling since I haven't paid any money and they haven't touched pavement they will likely help me out.

I'll post tomorrow and let you folks know what happens.

Doh... didnt realize that you're in OR. Do you guys have a version on the Bureau of Automotive Repair?

• Like 1

I have had lots of bad tires and put tires on my truck that others took off that they were so bad. I have my own manual tire changer so it does not cost me anything except the people giving me tires. The truck had front end problems and is setting on 2 front flats in the yard now. A lot is in how to take care of the tires. I saw a set of 4 tires bought and put in a metal storage shed only to be cracked and dry rotted in 10 months. Bias ply tires do not do this like radial tires do. Such tires as tsl sx get cracks on the sidewall that look bad but the regular tsl swampers don't. If you use the tire a little more they seem to not crack near as soon. I hate to watch safety videos anymore but i got one of those emails a few months ago. I have some tires that are 15 years old. my new to me 84 720 has not been over 70 yet and the previous owner said the same tires are on it from when he bought it 4 years before i got it from him. Look good run good just only gets about 20 miles a day 4 days a week. I am on my 2nd tank of gas since the huricane hit texas. Just keep an eye on your tire. Most of the time well before something happens to a tire you can feel it in your steering even on a truck with a worn out front end. Then again my truck rarely sees 60 mph on the roads i drive so it is a little safer than someone that does lots of highway miles at high speed.

Oh and i have a window cup holder screwed down to the tranny tunnel in front of the shifter. Need to install a 2nd one 1 day. I guess a rider could just hang thiers on the window though. Just look at what you do and be safe.

well I took the tires in and they confirmed they were made in 1999. They said they would search for a set made newer. They said they do have a policy on not selling tires over 6-7 years old but it seemed it mostly applied to heavy vehicles and traliers. Anyways when they checked their database they had 1840 of the same size tire in their warehouse. I got a call a few hours later that every one of those tires has the same manufacture date. :rolleyes:

They supposedly called the manufacturer and they said the tires were good till 12 years. Anyways, I felt like playing it safe and returned the tires. I have a tendency to worry excessively so one less thing is good. :lol: I may just sell my wheels because finding a nice all season low profile for a 13in wheel is getting hard these days. :(

Maybe keep em around as track wheels. Plenty of race/performance rubber for 13in wheels. :thumbup: