My First 1969 4 Door Datsun 510

savag

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That way I can use same offset wheels all around and don't have to bother looking for 280z front suspension if I want lowering springs or bigger brakes

The 280zx front swap keeps the same offset as the 510 and there are more brake options for the 280zx than the 510. I'm pretty sure the coilovers are the same for the 510 and the 280zx.  That's why everyone uses that swap.  But, if you've got a good swap for the bigger brakes for the stock 510, that sounds great too.  I'd be interested in a rear disc setup that uses the stock 510 parking brake setup... but I doubt that will be possible...

Josh K had made a setup a few months ago that allowed you to use your cable parking brake. 

Yeah, I bought his full conversion kit (It's great quality :thumbup:).  I just have to buy the Lokar cables to go with it now. 

But, if you've got a good swap for the bigger brakes for the stock 510, that sounds great too.  I'd be interested in a rear disc setup that uses the stock 510 parking brake setup... but I doubt that will be possible...

That was my way of making a suggestion for the rest of the community; if there was a conversion that used mostly stock parts and a bolt on caliper/rotor, it would probably be a good sell for savag

From what I read, when using the 280z front suspension it adds positive camber? Unless I am wrong, anything is possible. I will look into the rear disk brake upgrade using stock brake cables

Like waaaay too much. Not close to being a good thing. Stick with stock or go 280zx. 

From what I read, when using the 280z front suspension it adds positive camber? Unless I am wrong, anything is possible. I will look into the rear disk brake upgrade using stock brake cables

Your missing the point.  The 510 uses 1979-1983 280zx.  It bolts right up and there is no camber difference.  It also gives you at least one inch drop (depending on what year 510 you have), without cutting the strut housing.  My ZX housings have another 1.5" cut out of them to fit the KYB AGX 1992 MR2 strut inserts.

• Like 2

Your missing the point.  The 510 uses 1979-1983 280zx.  It bolts right up and there is no camber difference.  It also gives you at least one inch drop (depending on what year 510 you have), without cutting the strut housing.  My ZX housings have another 1.5" cut out of them to fit the KYB AGX 1992 MR2 strut inserts.

this is true .. .tired and true and easy to come by and one of the best 510 mods... I too  have the 92 mr struts and heavily shortened zx struts....... z struts are no bueno.....if u do,   run a 7 inch coil its shorter and stays away from the tire better on wheel tire combos that run close ...... no need to reinvent the wheel google has been around for many eons.....lol   oh and move the fucking jackstands...please

• Like 1

Wat I ment to say was using the 280zx spindle brings in ur wheels bout 3/4in inside. The setup I'm trying to make will allow u to use a 11.02in rotor instead of the 9.92in rotor that is used on the 280zx and also will come wit a custom bracket and wilwood caliper and all on the stock 510 hub that will already have the coilover welded up and ready for bolt in to the 510.

Yeah, yeah, my bad.  The ZX spindles do bring the wheels in 3/4".  Sorry, brain fart.  You can use the Z31 four lug hubs to put the offset back to 510 specs, but you will need z31 brake adapters, etc.  Savag, one of the reasons people like the ZX setup is because the 3/4" offset difference.  It allows you to tuck the wheels under the fenders better without flares; and retains the same, or similar offset from front to rear.  The ZX spindle also uses bigger bearings.

Basically, the ZX is tried and true and inexpensive, which is the key when dealing with Datsun's.  If you've got another solution, AWESOME, but make sure you consider end cost to the buyer when designing it. 

More power to you for looking into new mod ideas.

• Like 2

No yeah I agree with you. Kinda new to this Datsun game and was just gonna make something work since not much people offer full coilover sets for the Datsun 510 suspension. Also wouldn't running the lower offset 510 hubs alow you to run a wider wheel since width usually isn't measured in offset goin towards your fender but goin towards the shock?

• 5 months later...

Hey guys been MIA for a while busy with the shop life. But i finally got the custom coilover setup and big brake set up on and got the 510 running with the l16 in it. Drove it for a day and noticed the radiator leaking. So i decided to drive it for another day after flushing the radiator and it just went out on me with these hot cali days. Anyone have a stock rad for sale or shud i just go with a aluminum one? Will post pix later